Menu

Expressive Language

As the saying goes, play is the work of children. One of the best ways to move language forward is play. Role play, figurine play and acting out picture books is a great way to go. These also allow you to work on social skills at the same time.

Something to ask yourself is how strong is his receptive language. Troubles with receptive language can be subtle and easy to miss. I remember being told that you can't expect a child to use language if they don't understand it. Does he struggle with certain listening comprehension tasks such as remembering details, inferencing, sequencing, main idea? You can find products to help with that at linguisystems, super duper, great ideas for teaching.

Hmmm... I recall writing all about Nurturing Narratives in my previous post. Don't know what happened. Here is take two:

From what your follow up post describes, I am not sure the approach of Nurturing Narratives would be helpful for your ds. It is about helping children with ASD who have limited language share personal narratives. It does also outline a way to work on building receptive and expressive language thru narrative play scenarios. My son tests in the average range for his expressive language and didn't require the intense scaffolding that the book suggests. However, he was not really sharing narratives with us as were outlined in the book. Since I started working on this with him in January he has expanding his responses and made great gains with his conversation skills which have been noted by family and his SLP. I have also seen him engage in more narrative play as well.

If you are looking to target some social skills, I am just about to start implementing another book with ds that may be of interest. It is called "We Can Make it Better". It is about social problem solving. Basically, it provides you with very short straight forward stories that involve 3 social dilemmas. You read the child the story. Next, you have the child help you come up with a new way for the character to handle the situation. Finally, you act out both the not so good way and the new improved way the child suggested. It is a great way to target problem solving, social skills, tone of voice, body language, and perspective taking.

Edited by Jennifer-72

• 3 years later...