Menu

Do you purposely skew polls?

I just read this article and simply cannot believe the stats reported. 78% of Americans have traveled to a foreign country? I can count on one hand the people I know who have been abroad. The flip side, 22%, seems to me to be a more accurate figure.

According to the press release from SocialLiving, 78 percent of Americans have visited at least one foreign country, 61 percent have visited multiple countries, and 36 percent have traveled to four or more foreign destinations.

This makes me wonder how often people play with the polls. I confess that I have sometimes been so irritated at phone polls (esp. those that call during supper) that I purposely choose answers that do not fit me.

Which brings me to this: Can we really trust polls?

This is all I can find about the methodology:

"The LivingSocial Vacation survey was conducted online in February 2012 among 4,000 Americans in the top 20 media markets (DMAs) and 1,600 additional respondents in Australia, Canada, Ireland, and the United Kingdom. The survey was conducted by Mandala Research, LLC. Respondents were not limited to LivingSocial members. "

Do I think 78% of people who have internet access and interest in a travel-rlated website have traveled overseas? Yeah, probably. That really doesn't say anything about U.S. travelers in general, though.

It would be interesting to rule out Canada and mexico, too, and get results. For some of us, Canada is closer than many other U.S. cities. ;)

Well that poll was only about 4000 Americans. I grew up in the Midwest and know a lot of people who have traveled out of the country, I also grew up near a major airport. But 4k out of what 300 million is a drop in the bucket. Plus the people who probably answered that question were more likely ones that have been out of the country anyway. Stupid conclusion to a limited poll, imo.

Maybe those responding did actually travel?

That's the thing with polls - they're data on those who respond or are asked the question. Often that gets extrapolated into the larger population, but isn't necessary true for the larger population.

On overseas travel, it's impossible that 78% of Americans have traveled to a foreign country. For one thing, about 30% (or less) of Americans have a passport, so that alone debunks the poll data. And even if we were to say that okay, let's include Canada and Mexico before a passport was required to travel there, again, not enough of the population would have crossed the borders to bring the traveling population up to anywhere near 78% going to a foreign country!

I think the majority of adults have traveled to at least Canada or Mexico. Traveling to Europe and the Caribbean is really not unusual either. In Portland, pretty much every adult I knew had traveled out of the country - either for a family vacation in Mazatlan, up to Whistler, or on a cruise to the Bahamas. Even here in rural Alaska, most people in the village have traveled to Puerto Rico and Costa Rica along with the school trips. May I ask where you live?

Canada is a foreign country. In this state I would be surprised if I met someone who had not been to Canada. I would assume that more people who live farther south have gone to Mexico.

What an urbanite. I know plenty of people who've never been to Seattle or Tacoma because (gasp) black people live there. Clearly you haven't met the hoi poloi in Banjoland (east Pierce County).

By the time you consider immigrants, military (which would cover many people who might not otherwise travel overseas), people who have done a Carnival cruise to Mexico, etc....

I know I had been to Canada and Mexico before passports were required and I'm 35. Both of my kids have passports and would qualify for yes. Actually, MY entire family of origin (and their spouses) would have voted yes. But dh is the only one out of his family of origin that would have voted yes. Anyone living close to the border would be more likely to have a yes vote.

But, I still wonder if that's enough to offset the inner city kids who have never been out of their city.

I think the majority of adults have traveled to at least Canada or Mexico. Traveling to Europe and the Caribbean is really not unusual either. In Portland, pretty much every adult I knew had traveled out of the country - either for a family vacation in Mazatlan, up to Whistler, or on a cruise to the Bahamas. Even here in rural Alaska, most people in the village have traveled to Puerto Rico and Costa Rica along with the school trips. May I ask where you live?

Um.. Puerto Rico isn't a foreign country.

Until a few years ago, travel to our Caribbean neighbors didn't require more than a U.S. birth certificate. I've traveled to more than four countries including Canada but don't read travel sites and have never had a passport. I do think the poll was very unscientific and had skewed results because of poor design. Then again, aren't 75% of statistics just made up anyway?

Edited by Karen in CO

Living in Texas many people used to (and maybe still do) travel to Mexico for the day to go shopping. I have been once. My family used to go often. I can see a high percentage of people in states that border Mexico or Canada having made the trip across at least once.

I think the majority of adults have traveled to at least Canada or Mexico. Traveling to Europe and the Caribbean is really not unusual either.

Those with a passport are generally rich and/or immigrants or their children. The majority don't have a passport. I had an elderly relative who refused to leave the country on principle, she thought there was nothing worth seeing elsewhere, apparently. There are also a lot of poor people who cannot afford it. Even getting a passport is not cheap.

30% of Americans have passports statistic cited here: Of the 308 million-plus citizens in the United States, 30% have passports. http://articles.cnn.com/2011-02-04/travel/americans.travel.domestically_1_western-hemisphere-travel-initiative-passports-tourism-industries?_s=PM:TRAVEL

State dept site's statistics on passports issued since 1996: http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppi/stats/stats_890.html

Edited by stripe

I think most people probably have traveled outside the country. I can't think of any family members or even non military friends that haven't at least gone to Cananda or the Bahamas, if not Europe.

Sarah Palin hadn't until recently, and I think she spoke for a lot of people when she said, “I’m not one of those who maybe come from a background of, you know, kids who perhaps graduate college and their parents get ‘em a passport and give ‘em a backpack and say go off and travel the world. Noooo. I worked all my life… I was not, uh, a part of, I guess, that culture.â€

About half of the US population is at or below 200% of the poverty level. I think a good portion of those people without extra cash, cannot spend it on travel.

They polled 4000 Americans. Living Social is a website that offers deals. I'm assuming the survey was of people who visited the website? Somehow I doubt that would include more xenophobic or isolated people.

Combine that with:

1) the fact that more younger people than older people are using the internet and

2) many people my age (40) traveled abroad in college or spent a spring break in Mexico

I grew up in the midwest and some of the older ones immigrated when they were toddlers so technically they had been to a foreign country. But not many I knew actually traveled to foreign countries. I suppose many travel for work.

I would guess that probably 78% of the adults I know IRL have traveled somewhere outside the U.S. at least once.

All 3 of my children have been to Canada, and my oldest was a flower girl in her godfather's U.K. wedding (she got to go and I didn't :glare:).

I just read this article and simply cannot believe the stats reported. 78% of Americans have traveled to a foreign country? I can count on one hand the people I know who have been abroad. The flip side, 22%, seems to me to be a more accurate figure.

According to the press release from SocialLiving, 78 percent of Americans have visited at least one foreign country, 61 percent have visited multiple countries, and 36 percent have traveled to four or more foreign destinations.

This makes me wonder how often people play with the polls. I confess that I have sometimes been so irritated at phone polls (esp. those that call during supper) that I purposely choose answers that do not fit me.

Which brings me to this: Can we really trust polls?

Well, my family is from Oklahoma (where you are) and I would say at *least* 75% of my sisters, parents, aunts, uncles and cousins have been out of the country.

Most of them have *at least* been to Mexico or the Bahamas. Many of them visited us when we lived in Germany and traveled to several countries while there. Quite a few of them have done mission trips to third world countries.

One of my uncles works for a Japanese company and spends quite a bit of time in Japan. Another uncle works for a manufacturing company that has plants outside of the US that he travels to. My cousin did a semester abroad in Spain. My other cousin will be doing a semester at Oxford next year.

The vast majority of the people in our friend circles have lived outside of the country for 6 months or more. Two of my kids were born overseas.

I don't find the poll at all unlikely or surprising.

Canada is a foreign country. In this state I would be surprised if I met someone who had not been to Canada. I would assume that more people who live farther south have gone to Mexico.

Yup. We took field trips there in school. And not many made it to 21 without a few trips over the border first.

For one thing, about 30% (or less) of Americans have a passport, so that alone debunks the poll data.

Mine has expired. Before it did, I'd been to several countries. Plus, of course, Canada and Mexico before that required a passport.

Given how bad our geography skills are, perhaps the voters are counting Hawaii? :lol:

:lol: I remember an event at a university I once worked at -- it was supposed to focus on international cuisine and culture. Hawaii was included. Um, yeah. Whatever.

:iagree: Almost everyone I know has at least been to Canada. Lots and lots have been to Mexico. Most of my family has been much farther abroad than that- Iceland, Burkina Faso, China, Dubai, India, El Salvador, and all over Europe in my family alone.

Um.. Puerto Rico isn't a foreign country.

Yes, it is. It's a territory of the US, but it is a country in its own right as well. Or are you also claiming that Australia isn't a separate country from England since it is a Commonwealth of the UK?

Those with a passport are generally rich and/or immigrants or their children. The majority don't have a passport. I had an elderly relative who refused to leave the country on principle, she thought there was nothing worth seeing elsewhere, apparently. There are also a lot of poor people who cannot afford it. Even getting a passport is not cheap.

30% of Americans have passports statistic cited here: Of the 308 million-plus citizens in the United States, 30% have passports. http://articles.cnn.com/2011-02-04/travel/americans.travel.domestically_1_western-hemisphere-travel-initiative-passports-tourism-industries?_s=PM:TRAVEL

State dept site's statistics on passports issued since 1996: http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppi/stats/stats_890.html

It wasn't so long ago that some countries didn't require passports. And, that stat doesn't say what percentage of the population has ever had a passport. My kids don't have current passports, but they have had passports.

We also know many people who aren't in the military anymore, but they served overseas at one time. Don't forget, many of the older men fought in WW2, Korea or Vietnam.

Really? My husband and I have both been abroad once many years ago separately and once to the Bahamas together. We hardly travel or vacation at all and dh has no interest in traveling abroad. Also we have both been to Niagara Falls a number of times before a passport was required. Neither of us has a valid passport so not having one does not mean you've never been out of the country! I believe that that many people have traveled out of the country....once.

:iagree:

I live in Michigan, and I've been to Canada! (Woo hoo! :lol:)

Sarah Palin hadn't until recently, and I think she spoke for a lot of people when she said, “I’m not one of those who maybe come from a background of, you know, kids who perhaps graduate college and their parents get ‘em a passport and give ‘em a backpack and say go off and travel the world. Noooo. I worked all my life… I was not, uh, a part of, I guess, that culture.â€

She's always good for a false dichotomy or two.

:iagree:

I went to Canada within two months of moving to Washington. DH and I went to Mexico right after we got married.

I grew up in southern California and most of the people I knew were either from Mexico or had been to Mexico.

Do you need a passport to travel to Australia if you're an English citizen? Are Australians English citizens? Do Austrailians pay English taxes? Just trying to understand how the commonwealth status relates to territory status?

I had a friend from Belize (commonwealth country) and she would have needed a visa to travel to the UK. Members of the EU need a passport to enter and exit member countries. I can't imagine someone could freely travel without passport to another country.

I am not sure I ever understood that Puerto Rico is an independent country, esp as their head of state is the US president. It kind of confuses me.

Do you need a passport to travel to Australia if you're an English citizen? Are Australians English citizens? Do Austrailians pay English taxes? Just trying to understand how the commonwealth status relates to territory status? It's something I'd never thought about before. My sister was stationed at Roosevelt Roads for many years until it closed and she was moved to Gitmo. We've been there many, many times and had lots of discussions about its laws and status. I always thought of the US territories in a different way than Australia's relationship with the UK.

Puerto Rico is a Commonwealth too, that's its legal status. They have their own Olympic team. It's not a sovereign nation, but I think for these purposes most people would consider it a separate country.

It was a very memorable soundbite! But I had a relative who kind of thought like that.

Still, the implication that only wealthy people travel is not the least bit true.

About half of the US population is at or below 200% of the poverty level. I think a good portion of those people without extra cash, cannot spend it on travel.

Total hijack but Sarah Palin has said that they went to Whitehorse in the 60's when she was a child. That is Canada and thus a foreign country. She may not have thought of it as exotic foreign travel, though.

I had a friend from Belize (commonwealth country) and she would have needed a visa to travel to the UK. Members of the EU need a passport to enter and exit member countries. I can't imagine someone could freely travel without passport to another country.

I am not sure I ever understood that Puerto Rico is an independent country, esp as their head of state is the US president. It kind of confuses me.

They also are US citizens. US citizens can travel there without a passport. They pay social security and can collect welfare, but they get their own Olympic teams.

According to an unamed source on the internet:

Puerto Rico has authority over its internal affairs. United States controls: interstate trade, foreign relations and commerce, customs administration, control of air, land and sea, immigration and emigration, nationality and citizenship, currency, maritime laws, military service, military bases, army, navy and air force, declaration of war, constitutionality of laws, jurisdictions and legal procedures, treaties, radio and television--communications, agriculture, mining and minerals, highways, postal system; Social Security, and other areas generally controlled by the federal government in the United States. Puerto Rican institutions control internal affairs unless U.S. law is involved, as in matters of public health and pollution. The major differences between Puerto Rico and the 50 states are exemption from some aspects of the Internal Revenue Code, its lack of voting representation in either house of the U.S. Congress (Senate and House of Representatives), the ineligibility of Puerto Ricans to vote in presidential elections, and its lack of assignation of some revenues reserved for the states.
Edited by Karen in CO

On overseas travel, it's impossible that 78% of Americans have traveled to a foreign country. For one thing, about 30% (or less) of Americans have a passport, so that alone debunks the poll data.

That fact doesn't debunk the data. I do not have a passport at the moment, at least not a current one, but I have traveled to other countries. I only get my passport updated when I need it.

Kelly

Hmm. Maybe you should make this a poll so we can find out the truth. ;):D

But, even this demographic will be a poor representation. We have a high abundance of single income families with young children.

We will likely skew the results the other way!

Still, the implication that only wealthy people travel is not the least bit true.

I agree. But I also think that very poor people don't have the $100 for a passport, much less the journey. There are an awful lot of poor people in this country, and they can't take a month off of work.

I've read that most passport holders are senior citizens, and immigrants and their children. I can't find the source, though. But obviously members of the military and their family have a more international life than the average citizen.

:iagree: That's what I'm thinking, too. I haven't travelled the world, but I've been to Canada, Mexico and the Bahamas so - yes, foreign countries multiple times. I know tons of people who have been to one or all of those.

What an urbanite. I know plenty of people who've never been to Seattle or Tacoma because (gasp) black people live there. Clearly you haven't met the hoi poloi in Banjoland (east Pierce County).

:lol: One year I taught at a middle school in a small town in southern Oregon. There were kids there who had never seen an elevator or escalator. :001_huh: They dreamed of seeing Portland.

I am kind of surprised there are enough travelers to outweigh populations like that.

ETA- I forgot to answer the question. No, I don't skew polls on purpose.

Well we all didn't come from parents who gave them a passport and sent them off to travel the world as well. Some did, sure. But most of my friends also worked all their lives too.

And are all those people that I spoke of traveling now? No, of course not. But going through my list of friends and family, I can't think of any that haven't been out of the country at least once. Even if it is only to Canada or a cruise somewhere.

OMW, did she really say that? False dichotomy is right! I've worked since I was 13, and I've traveled outside the US three times. I paid my own way every single time. Even my parents, who are plenty blue collar and who have also worked since they were 16 and never went to college, have traveled internationally. What a bizarre characterization!