Menu

War of the Worlds

Too much for a 9 year old or okay? He read it in WWE and is really excited about it but it seems like he might be too young? Is it scary? Anyone read it recently? I am assuming he wouldn't really get anything out of it other than a cool alien story.

Too much for a 9 year old or okay? He read it in WWE and is really excited about it but it seems like he might be too young? Is it scary? Anyone read it recently? I am assuming he wouldn't really get anything out of it other than a cool alien story.
I read it with my eldest at 9. There is fairly frequent mention of charred bodies, a few tense scenes. It's unremittingly bleak; Wells wrote it partially as an indictment of the conduct of British colonials in Tasmania (the Black War) a few decades previous.

I just read it with my son at age 9 in the past couple months.

There were some scenes he found intense and he did ask to stop at one point, but he can be kind of sensitive on things that are intense. I didn't hear about any nightmares.

I just asked him if he enjoyed reading it and he said, "It was okay but freaky."

We didn't do the more recent movie but did the 50s version after finishing the book :)