Menu

Introduction

Hi, I am new here and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Katie and I am planning to start homeschooling my DS7 in a few weeks.

A little background - DS is in 1st grade at public school. He had a pretty good kindergarten year, but about a month or two into first grade, we noticed that he seemed unhappy and would put himself down a lot. He also seemed to pick more fights w/ his younger sister. He has always had difficulty with handwriting and then began struggling with reading. Long story short - we took him for a private neuropsych eval. He was diagnosed w/ dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalculia and ADD. His overall pattern of WISC scores was very high verbal reasoning (90-99 percentile) and average to low average visual, spatial and processing speed.

I suspected DS had dyslexia for awhile, so I've tried to read everything I could get my hands on. In the process of discovering dyslexia and sharing this info. w/ my father and DH, it turns out they are both dyslexic too - though DH is milder.

DS completed the Davis Dyslexia Correction Program in early February. He really enjoyed it, and his reading level went from a D/E to an H/I. Plus the the guessing, skipping words, and other errors are greatly reduced. It seems as though this method can be controversial, but despite his high verbal skills, my DS thinks in pictures, and this just worked for him.

During our interactions w/ the school to revise DS's IEP, it just became more and more clear to us that although they mean well, they don't understand dyslexa or how to help. Their solution is to give DS more intense instruction of the regular curriculum, via being pulled to the resource room. So after Spring Break, we are planning to homeschool w/ dual enrollment. He will homeschool in the a.m. and go to school for afternoon "specials" - art, music, P.E., etc. I'm planning to continue the Davis methods for reading, do Math U See, and I'm considering Neuronet.

I guess that's about all. I'm looking forward to getting started but am really nervous too. I never thought we would homeschool - but we really do think it is best.

Edited by herekittykitty

Welcome! There are several of us here with dc about your ds's age with similar diagnoses. My ds 7 was just diagnosed with dyslexia and dysgraphia as well (although I had suspected problems for a long time).

I'm an accidental homeschooler too, I never thought we would be here. Feel free to jump right in and post your questions and successes. Everyone on this board is very sympathetic and they have tons of good ideas when you hit a wall. I'm glad you've joined us!