Menu

I am out of yarn.

I am crocheting a afgan for my 12 year old. I already did one for my brother and one for the 15 year old (those were both more blanket sized really). The 18 year old would like one as well so hers is next on the list. Then I think I am going to make a bunch of soft, cozy, colorful socks.

I know exactly what you feel because I have been out in the boonies with no yarn and lots of patterns in my head.

Dig deep in that basket (or wherever you keep your supplies) and see if you can quickly crochet/knit a potholder (nice way to try out new stitches) or something to tide you over until the yarn arrives. :001_smile:

I know exactly what you feel because I have been out in the boonies with no yarn and lots of patterns in my head.

Dig deep in that basket (or wherever you keep your supplies) and see if you can quickly crochet/knit a potholder (nice way to try out new stitches) or something to tide you over until the yarn arrives. :001_smile:

One of my kids has some royal blue yarn. Perhaps she would like a scarf that color. :001_smile:

THE HORROR!!! :willy_nilly:

.............I do have to add that this is a situation that could never possibly happen in MY house :blushing:

Mine either, I"m afraid. I'm on a personal mission to de-stash in 2012. So far I'm really sticking to my resolution, but:

a. It's only March, and

b. I live an hour from Webs...

astrid

THE HORROR!!! :willy_nilly:

.............I do have to add that this is a situation that could never possibly happen in MY house :blushing:

If it was fabric, I could say the same.

OP- there is nothing worse than a craft emergency when you are in the middle of a project or mood. I hope you get your yarn.

If it was fabric, I could say the same.

OP- there is nothing worse than a craft emergency when you are in the middle of a project or mood. I hope you get your yarn.

Yarn I could run out of...fabric never. I'm an official member of the SABLE club.

SABLE = Stash Accumulation Beyond Life Expectancy.

Hope your yarn comes soon! If I were close by, I'd be glad to run some over...I buy yarn with good intentions, but my sewing machine calls me name louder than the needles do. :)

I am so sorry. I'll go light a candle for you :lol:

I'm using up stash this year. My current limitation is "no new yarn until the acrylic bin is empty" and "absolutely no sock yarn" and "12 pairs of socks must be knit this year."

It's only march.......

I could not run out of yarn. How on earth do you have the discipline to only buy yarn you are actually going to use in the next year? You know how other people on this board store years worth of food in case of a disaster? I am storing up yarn, and I believe that in a real long term disaster, I will have an item to barter! Yarn!

I have always wanted to try that tshirt knitting idea. Have you seen it? You take old but intact tshirts and cut them into 1 inch wide circles (just the body part, usually, although it has occurred to me that varying this with sleeve rings would be interesting. Then you put the rings together the way that kids make rubber band chains. Then you knit this with monstrously big needles into things like bath mats. The nice thing about this technique is that you don't have to make the chain all at once. You can keep adding to it. So it never has to get really, really bulky.

I could not run out of yarn. How on earth do you have the discipline to only buy yarn you are actually going to use in the next year? You know how other people on this board store years worth of food in case of a disaster? I am storing up yarn, and I believe that in a real long term disaster, I will have an item to barter! Yarn!

I have to have money left for books. :D

Mine either, I"m afraid. I'm on a personal mission to de-stash in 2012. So far I'm really sticking to my resolution, but:

a. It's only March, and

astrid

I am trying not to buy any more yarn this year, but to be honest I have no yarn stores nearby. If I lived close to Webs there is no way I could handle it.

a. It's only March, and

astrid

Meetup at Astrid's! :lol:

Actually, though my stash is fairly small (not according to dh, but really it is as it's mostly single skeins that I use for charity knitting) I'm still trying to de-stash, especially some stuff I've had since I first started up knitting. It's bad enough going to Joann's and getting a skein or two here and there, but if I lived near enough to Webs . . . I'd be in some serious trouble. :D

I have always wanted to try that tshirt knitting idea. Have you seen it? You take old but intact tshirts and cut them into 1 inch wide circles (just the body part, usually, although it has occurred to me that varying this with sleeve rings would be interesting. Then you put the rings together the way that kids make rubber band chains. Then you knit this with monstrously big needles into things like bath mats. The nice thing about this technique is that you don't have to make the chain all at once. You can keep adding to it. So it never has to get really, really bulky.

You can do the same thing with those plastic shopping bags. They call it 'plarn'. I've seen some neat purses and mats made with it. So I'm also saving plastic shopping bags along with dh's 'outgrown' dockers (for the fabric yarn) PLUS my real yarn stash...... and now the Joann's in my area is having a remodel done and my daughter is working a temp job there and very helpfully buying up all the discounted yarn she comes across......

I have a sewing machine and a few things started with that but I'm more inclined to knit or crochet. In the event of a national yarn shortage I'm all set. :D

Meetup at Astrid's! :lol:

ANY TIME, LADIES!!! We've got SO many great yarn shops within a short drive-- and the Granddaddy of them all just up Rt. 91!!! They know my by name, and know my dogs, too. Webs is very dog-friendly and love to invite them in.

astrid

You could go to a thrift store and find a sweater to destroy. :lol:

Actually, this is one of the best ways to get really good yarn at a discount. A gorgeous sweater for $4 probably has at least 10 skeins worth of yarn in it, and if it's not a style you like you can simply TINK it and steam it and then knit something else with it.

I feel your pain.... sort of...I LOST MY 3/4 knitted pair of socks.... I've looked every where here, called/asked anyplace else I could think of and it's been 3 months.

I am soooo depressed. :-( I thought I would just give up and start another pair, but I want to finish those!

My favorite sock needles were in there too, and it was my special Ravelry birthday swap project bag...:crying:

Not yarn, but I recently took up embroidery. Can you believe the closest place I can buy embroidery floss is 50 MILES away? Ridiculous. WalMart used to carry it but got rid of it when they redid the craft department a few years ago.

Actually, this is one of the best ways to get really good yarn at a discount. A gorgeous sweater for $4 probably has at least 10 skeins worth of yarn in it, and if it's not a style you like you can simply TINK it and steam it and then knit something else with it.

If one is cannibalizing sweaters for yarn a yarn winder is very useful (and who doesn't giggle a little when using one?)