Menu

Exploration Education....

• 2 months later...

I'm tempted to get the intermediate level, but we're really not video type of people. The company confirmed that it's not a read-aloud version, like the lower level for K-3 kids, which means we'll have to read the textbook on screen. I can print a copy of what's on the screen, but I have had no success with the sample.

Have you tried printing it out using Print Screen?

I'm wondering if it's even worth my money to get this program if I end up printing out the text.

I'm wondering if it's even worth my money to get this program if I end up printing out the text.

Nope, totally not worth it. It's not just text online, it's animations and videos. It's completely interactive - that's what my dd loves about it. I don't think there would be a good way to print out the text; even if you tried, you probably would miss parts of it (things that come up after clicking on something) and the whole interactive demonstrations part would be missing. All the instructions on how to put together the projects also include videos and animations.

Nope, totally not worth it. It's not just text online, it's animations and videos. It's completely interactive - that's what my dd loves about it. I don't think there would be a good way to print out the text; even if you tried, you probably would miss parts of it (things that come up after clicking on something) and the whole interactive demonstrations part would be missing. All the instructions on how to put together the projects also include videos and animations.

Ok, I see. I don't mind so much the videos and animations (I'm loosening the reins on that), but I can't really have DD read a computer screen.

What do you think about reading aloud the text or questions and clicking on the answers she gives me? She can then look at the videos/animations. Defeating the purpose of an interactive experience? It's really too bad that the lower level seems so simple - it has a read aloud component and fewer words per screen. I'm not trying to get an answer for me to buy; I just want to make sure I don't make an expensive mistake. I'm willing to look for another science program - it doesn't have to be this one. :tongue_smilie:

Ok, I see. I don't mind so much the videos and animations (I'm loosening the reins on that), but I can't really have DD read a computer screen.

What do you think about reading aloud the text or questions and clicking on the answers she gives me? She can then look at the videos/animations. Defeating the purpose of an interactive experience? It's really too bad that the lower level seems so simple - it has a read aloud component and fewer words per screen. I'm not trying to get an answer for me to buy; I just want to make sure I don't make an expensive mistake. I'm willing to look for another science program - it doesn't have to be this one. :tongue_smilie:

I wish I could help. My older dc used the original version years ago and I bought a new version for dds. We start in Sept. Much of it is read of the screen but the student workbook is very meaty also. I'm thrilled that nearly everything is in that box.

Have you called EE?

I wish I could help. My older dc used the original version years ago and I bought a new version for dds. We start in Sept. Much of it is read of the screen but the student workbook is very meaty also. I'm thrilled that nearly everything is in that box.

Have you called EE?

Yes, but the guy wanted to know my opinion about printing the screen. I was on the verge of asking him to try it out in his office, since he has it, not me. :001_huh: I should call again.

That's what I like about the program; it doesn't look light and fluffy, and everything is included, for an acceptable price. Since there is more material in the content to digest, I'm not comfortable having DD staring at the screen more intently than required if watching just a video. I wouldn't mind in a couple of years, but I've been limiting the amount of reading she does per day since the beginning of last year, and using a lot of audiobooks.

I'm going to hold off buying until your Dd uses it. Have you noticed more traffic on your blog coming from the south of you? :D. We're going through a mental growth spurt, so I need to start researching again.

Have you noticed more traffic on your blog coming from the south of you? :D. We're going through a mental growth spurt, so I need to start researching again.

Ha! How far south? I haven't noticed. Off to look... :auto:

Glad to help. I'm really just learning as I go. Course corrections and all that jazz. :)

Have you checked all the packets? We ordered the intermediate level for ds's summer science program, and just tried to start it. He is missing several pieces! I haven't contacted the company yet, but will be doing so this week.