Menu

Which encyclopedia for history do you like best?

Usborne Internet linked Encyclopedia of World History

Nat. Geographic Almanac of World History

History of the World, DK publishing

History: The definitive Visual Guide, also DK publishing

Nat. Geographic Concise History of the World: An Illustrated Timeling

Timelines of World History. DK publishing

My library doesn't have any of them so I'm left with looking through the samples I can find online. Which one do you like best for logic stage history?

I like the Usborne Internet Linked Encyclopedia of World History and The Kingfisher History Encyclopedia. Why? Because I own them already. I know I should get a new one for 7th and 8th grade, but don't think I will.

If you can get to a bookstore to check one or two out in person that might be helpful. I looked at a couple (which ones escape me now) and there were big differences between them. I remember thinking that a couple of them were really way to dense for my 5th grader. Now, they would be fine.

You can't find a copy of the Kingfisher? That is actually my preference for logic stage history.

I have looked at the DK History: the Definitive Visual Guide and that will be my next purchase. It would, however, IMHO be a bit of a stretch for most logic stage students.

We primarily use the red Kingfisher, and History: The Definitive Visual Guide. I use them both for different reasons.

Kingfisher is great for grades 4-6 to use on their own, and I paraphrase it for grades 1-3. My little ones love the illustrations, and it's great for those lists of facts, timeline entries, and drawing illustrations.

The Definitive Visual Guide is great for 6-8. The pictures make KHE seem plain, and it contains so much more information. It's the kind of book you get sucked into whenever you flip it open, and fifteen minutes later you remember why you picked it up in the first place. (My husband, older two kids, and myself do this.)

My logic stage kids use both regularly, but prefer the DVG.

Edited by SilverMoon

I like Kingfisher and Nat. Geographic Almanac of World History for different reasons.

Kingfisher has good pictures. I love it's timeline feature. And it's good for a brief overview of what's going on in the world across cultures.

I like how the essays are set-up. in the National Geographic AOWH. I also love the at a glance section in the back. Much more meaty than the lists in the back of the Kingfisher.

My sixth grader grabbed History: The Definitive Visual Guide after her schoolwork was completed yesterday and read it for fun. She was so absorbed in it she fell asleep in the living room chair, with that book wide open on her lap. :001_smile:

One more point to consider if you plan on using premade classically based history schedules/curriculum, KHE is the most popular one to be scheduled for you, and Usborne Internet Linked comes in second.

My sixth grader grabbed History: The Definitive Visual Guide after her schoolwork was completed yesterday and read it for fun. She was so absorbed in it she fell asleep in the living room chair, with that book wide open on her lap. :001_smile:

One more point to consider if you plan on using premade classically based history schedules/curriculum, KHE is the most popular one to be scheduled for you, and Usborne Internet Linked comes in second.

Are you referring to the Kingfisher that is out of print, or the one with the red cover?