Menu

Handwriting to use- please help!

wellread

Driving myself crazy to find a handwriting curriculum..... my two 6-year olds print ball-and-stick that they learned while learning to read (100EZ).

I've spent hours looking at fonts and cruising the internet looking at books... please help!

I'm open/interested in early cursive writing, but this is not a requirement

Any suggestions?

I tried New American Cursive with my ds6 and he did not really retain anything that he learned. If you use it I would recommend supplementing with your own practice sheets. Now he is 8 and is using Cheerful Cursive, and he chooses to write cursive with just about all of his writing! The people who make Cheerful Cursive also have Happy Handwriting, which in my opinion is just OK, nothing I would rave about:)

I tried New American Cursive with my ds6 and he did not really retain anything that he learned. If you use it I would recommend supplementing with your own practice sheets.

:iagree: We use NAC and we like it. If you use it like Memoria Press schedules it in their TMs, you can see that there are lots of review worksheets/days built in for this very reason. I bought the NAC Startwrite font and I make my own, but I don't think the book alone would be enough practice without additional review.

The teacher guides aren't very expensive and I liked it for the first level we did, so I knew what to do. I have not used them since, though. We do use a write/erase board and wet erase markers for fun practice. We use their lined paper for everything.

I tried New American Cursive with my ds6 and he did not really retain anything that he learned. If you use it I would recommend supplementing with your own practice sheets. Now he is 8 and is using Cheerful Cursive, and he chooses to write cursive with just about all of his writing!

It may have been an age/maturity issue. If you had waited to start NAC when he was 7 or 8, it is possible that he may have retained the letter formation and joining instructions better. :)