Menu

Can I get any testimonials to how good Saxon is? I see quite a number of negatives..

but dh wants to use Saxon. I do specifically have a problem with it, I would just like someone to tell me that it is a good solid choice and I don't need to keep looking (grass is greener and all that jazz). Dh wants something that we can use from now through high school without doing a lot of supplementing and we looked at WTM and other classical recommendations. Saxon is one of the top recommendations.

Right now we are using Abeka until dd gets to Saxon 5/4 because I am not particularly fond of Saxon K-3. I may, however, use it all the way through with the next dc.

Anyway, anyone with positive things to say or good outcomes from the use of Saxon is welcome and encouraged here!

Using it with 5 kids this year. Like the upper grades with DIVE cd. 1st and 2nd grade seem VERY slow to me. Fine for one child but I ended up skipping to next grade for 6 year old. There are pros and cons for every curriculum. Most people, looking back, will say they just wished they'd picked something and stayed with it vs. switching Math Curriculums every year.

Saxon is all we've every used. This year we're using Alg 1, 8/7, 6/5, 3, & 1. My boys all get math and are good at it, and they all like math just fine. Three will name it as their favorite subject. On standardized testing, the older three score above average-well above average on math concepts.

It's worked for us. With my 3rd son, I did need to take a break from Saxon for a semester, but now we're back at it and he loves math.

It wouldn't be a good "fit" for my particular children, but I know other HS families who used Saxon and found it solid preparation for college math. Saxon seems to be a "love it or hate it" thing with all the repetition built into it. Some kids do really well with the spiral format, while other kids get driven nuts by it. If it works for your family, go for it :001_smile:

It wouldn't be a good "fit" for my particular children, but I know other HS families who used Saxon and found it solid preparation for college math. Saxon seems to be a "love it or hate it" thing with all the repetition built into it. Some kids do really well with the spiral format, while other kids get driven nuts by it. If it works for your family, go for it :001_smile:

And some kids (like mine) just don't know better :lol:.

We started Saxon in Algebra 1/2 after Singapore math. I like it because it is spiral and helps solidify those concepts. I know that if ds doesn't totally understand a concept the first time, he will get it again and again until it becomes easy. With a mastery approach, they almost have to get it the first time around because you may not see that concept again. I plan on starting in Saxon 5/4 with ds #3 after Singapore math gets him to that level. I don't believe it's a bad thing to be bored with a math concept. You want things to be easy before moving on. Another thing I like about Saxon is that it has a variety of multi-media options if you need them. We like and plan to continue with it through high school.

Beth

I started Saxon at 5/4 for my older dd when all of our switching had left her with gaps in math. I'm starting my youngest in Saxon this year and refuse to ever switch her math (probably ;) ). Saxon turned my older from hating math and thinking she was terrible at it to loving it and realizing that she's really quite good at math. Her best friend had the same experience, although his mom had been consistent with math before starting Saxon.

We are Saxon users. First ds has used it K through 5/4 so far. It has worked very well. My husband loves it and wouldn't let me switch a few years ago. He has kept me grounded. My ds has scored in the 99% for math scores when we had him tested by an ed psych and through SAT10. The psych was surprised how well he knew his math facts. Dh and I still laugh about that one. We owe it all to Saxon. We were having him tested for possible ADHD.

We have and plan for Saxon the next two years, but we are eyeing AOPS after that!

We have used Saxon from Saxon 1 to Advanced Math and both of my older kids are doing very well (our 3 year old hasn't started yet :D). We have never used anything else because I did not want to hop around. My kids have always scored very well on standarized tests with Saxon. Ds is taking chemistry this year and has not had any problems with knowing how to do the math for chemistry. I also think that Saxon has given my dd great confidence in her math abilites. She is able to do an amazing amount of math mentally. I think Saxon has given them both a very solid math foundation.

We are happy Saxon users. I have tried a few others here and there and always come back and have been doing very well just sticking with it. My 6yos is 1/2 way through Saxon 2 and doing well, my struggling(I think she has some undiagnosed LD's) 9yod is using 3 and doing well and likes math, my 11yod is flying through 6/5 and loving it:) my 14yod is using 8/7 and doing well. I also have 3 that have graduated(mostly used Saxon, we tried 2 other short lived programs throughout their schooling) my 19yos got his GED with honors, can just about build a house on his own, lives on his own, has a nicer car than me, and an awesome job with very good income at a very large company. All this to say that he needs math to accomplish all this and he does very well:)(just a little proud, in case you can't tell!:tongue_smilie:) My 2 older daughters are doing fine also, but they don't use math as often or in the same way so it is hard to say. My 22 yod is a pre-K4 teacher and the 27yod is a new mommy.

but dh wants to use Saxon. I do specifically have a problem with it, I would just like someone to tell me that it is a good solid choice and I don't need to keep looking (grass is greener and all that jazz). Dh wants something that we can use from now through high school without doing a lot of supplementing and we looked at WTM and other classical recommendations. Saxon is one of the top recommendations.

Right now we are using Abeka until dd gets to Saxon 5/4 because I am not particularly fond of Saxon K-3. I may, however, use it all the way through with the next dc.

Anyway, anyone with positive things to say or good outcomes from the use of Saxon is welcome and encouraged here!

But there are *at least* as many positive reviews as there are negative. The many recommendations you've read should more than make up for the negative comments, seems to me. :-)

It is not possible for everyone to like every product on the market. It just isn't.

And FTR, when Math 76 was first published back in the late 80s, the sound of people bailing out of ABeka to go to Saxon was like Niagara Falls. Seriously.

I attended several Northern California ACSI Conventions with a friend who was a Saxon rep, hanging out at the Saxon booth with her for a couple of days. There was a constant stream of teachers through the booth both days raving about how much better their students were doing since the change to Saxon from ABeka or any other publisher, how test scores had improved dramatically, how there was a significant increase in students who were taking higher maths and going into math-related fields in college and how well they were doing in college (and beyond).

It would not in a gazillion years occur to me that Saxon wasn't worth those recommendations you're read.

That isn't to say that some students like it and some don't, but if I were hsing again, Saxon would be on my list of things I would do everything I could to make them work (if you'll excuse the grammar, lol).

My high school used Saxon. I had been warned away from it by friends at the school (the school was phasing it in, and students at a certain level of math & above had the option of whatever the school used before & Saxon) and was very apprehensive when I found out that at my level (Algebra 2) there was no choice but Saxon.

As it turned out, Saxon was one of the best things that happened to me. I barely passed Algebra I and Geometry, but would forgot the material as soon as I was tested on it, and never *really* understood everything. The constant-review format of Saxon was exactly what my brain needed. When I took Advanced Math the next year, I had to work hard (& sometimes ask questions--sometimes repeatedly about the same type of problem :D) but the constant review meant that concepts I had trouble remembering got reviewed enough to stay in longer-term memory. It's the only class I ever got a 100% in, and when I took the PSAT partway through the year, I scored well enough to be a National Merit semi-finalist. I also was able to apply what I learned to real-life situations, so it wasn't just memorization without understanding. :001_smile: I loved that class so much that I saved up my own money to buy my own copy of Advanced Math.

So, definitely a positive for me. I don't view it as a one-size-fits-all curriculum though (really, is there such a thing? ;)). 3 of my 4 school-age kids are currently using Saxon & doing well. (My K-er is doing RightStart A, because it seems to be a really good match for his thinking style.) HTH

I am a huge Saxon fan. This is the way I wish I had learned math.

My dd will start Saxon 3 in a few weeks and my ds10 will be in 6/5 next week. I love the layout, I love the consistent review, my kids retain well and score well with Saxon. It's easy for them to self-teach, and easy for me to check.

My son loves Saxon and my dd loves it that her math will need no superb ring next year. With other programs one must supplement with drill, or with word problems, or use many components.

Saxon also has awesome mental math, in 5/4 and up, which teaches lots of mental tricks and reviews those tricks.

We started homeschooling last year and I used SAxon 5/4 for my 4th grader which was a perfect fit for him. He did all the fact sheets, warm ups, and mixed practice all on his own. He did great. I used Saxon 3 for my 3rd grader and she was frustrated at how 'easy' it was, and I feel like I was talking down to her, but I didn't think she was ready for 5/4 (who knows, maybe she was?). This year, that same DD is in 5/4 and doing well, however it takes her soooo long to finish one lesson (the opposite of her brother), but she's retaining well and scoring well on tests.

I have a 1st grader this year and decided not to mess with SAxon 1 after I saw how easy peasy SAxon K was. Since I already have Saxon 3 I might use it with her in 2nd or 3rd grade and then for sure use Saxon from 5/4 on up. I think it's a great program.

I don't view it as a one-size-fits-all curriculum though (really, is there such a thing? ;)).

*I* really liked Saxon, but it just didn't suit my ds.

OP, these are reasons I'd avoid mentally committing to a single curriculum through 12th grade.

The people at the Robinson Yahoo group are the Saxon experts. I'd sign up there.

Also let your husband know though, that Algebra 1 is written to be the 1st Saxon book used. There is no NEED to use Saxon before Algebra 1, to be able to complete the text. My son went from library and yard sale and grocery store workbooks into Saxon Algebra 1 as a 5th grader, and me going along for the ride, with a pitiful math background. We had no problems whatsoever. There is a LOT of review.

I believe the younger grades were written AFTER algebra 1 was written. I think Saxon started out as a high school curriculum.

Primary, middle and high school maths are very different times in a child's life. Don't judge a math curriculum by the different stages. Judge each stage on it's own.

Also let your husband know though, that Algebra 1 is written to be the 1st Saxon book used. There is no NEED to use Saxon before Algebra 1, to be able to complete the text.

I'd have to disagree with you. Most people do not recommend that Aglebra 1 be the first Saxon text used; at least Math 8/7 or Alg. ½ should be used first, just because Saxon is so different from other maths.

I believe the younger grades were written AFTER algebra 1 was written. I think Saxon started out as a high school curriculum.

The first Saxon text written and released for general use was Math 76. Whether Algebra 1 was actually written first or not, I don't know. I just know that the homeschooling community got Math 76 first.

We loved it. We used it a year ahead, starting with K in preK4. We used K, 1, 2, 3 and 6/5, and part of 7/6. When dd went to school in 5th, she tested into advanced math and is doing preAlg right now in 6th. I'm not sure what to do next year, but honestly, Saxon gave her a good foundation. It's not for everyone. But it is solid.

SWB recommends it, too, in case you didn't know. (It's not the only rec, but it is a rec of hers.)

Saxon didn't start out being offered in the homeschool version, right? There was just the regular school version?

Maybe I heard wrong, but I seriously think Saxon started out as a high school only curriculum.

The homeschool editions have only been published since about 2004, I believe. We have been buying Saxon math since 1986 or so; the textbooks were the same as the ones used in schools, and they came with an answer key, masters for drills, and tests.

Saxon's first text may have been algebra, but as I said, we bought Math 76 in 1986 or so; Math 54 and 65 were released/published after that. I didn't see the algebra until after that (which doesn't mean it wasn't published, I guess, only that we hsers didn't have access to it).

Saxon has worked well for three of my four children. We use it from 54 through Advanced Math with a detour to Jacob's for Geometry. My personal experience is that Saxon is a great program for students who are pretty good at math. They don't need to like math (my 17yodd dislikes math, but she's very good at it), just be able to understand new concepts readily.

One of my dd's wasn't ready for Algebra when she got to it. She worked through some of the Key to... booklets to beef up her skills with fractions and decimals. She did okay when we returned to Saxon Algebra, mostly because she memorized the formula for solving various problems.

As for testimony as to Saxon's effectiveness, my oldest earned a perfect score on the SAT. Working through Saxon's curriculum certainly didn't hurt him, but then he is a math whiz and was acknowledged as one in college. How much of his score was due to Saxon and how much to his innate gifts? Who can say?

You really need to know the student and what his learning style is. There is no one-size-fits-all curriculum. But, yes, Saxon can yield good results.

I, personally, am in love with Saxon math. I think if you are going to *know* math the constant review the spiral style it affords is critical. When I was a teaching assistant in grad school there were kids who could *do* math, and those that *knew* math. I think Saxon leads to knowing, deep down, the beauty of math.

After choosing Saxon as our math I saw the cover of the Algebra books and realized that's exactly what I had through school. So maybe I have an innate love for it because it was really the foundation for my degrees & career (before being promoted to mom :)).

My oldest is only in 1st and I've heard people complain that the K - 3 stuff is slow, etc. and it may be but I'll tell you what - math is my son's favorite subject. When I say, "it's time for math" he practically jumps in glee.

All I know is I love it, my son loves it, he knows his math like nobody's business, and everyone is happy. To me that makes a winner. :)

There are probably more home schoolers who have successfully used Saxon than there are users of any other program. I've known some people who found that Saxon didn't work well for their kids, but no one who thought that a child who did work through Saxon would be unprepared for college math, with the exception of public school teachers who were really into the Rainforest Math model.

My math oriented son used Saxon all the way up through Advanced Math. He hated them, but they did the job. My next child also hated them. I finally relented, switched programs and got rid of them, rather than deal with the tears. Along comes #3. Nothing was working with this child. On a whim I got an old Saxon 54 book. Perfect fit :glare: I'm now in the process of rebuying ALL the older Saxon texts. bummer.

I've never used the K-3 materials either.

I've used Saxon with all my kids through Alg.1. I sent my boys to ps before we got further. My boys went to school with a strong math background and do very well in math in ps.

With my dd, I tried a number of other math curriculum because they were recommended on the Accelerated Learner board and people on there always complain about Saxon but we always ended up back with Saxon. The approach just suits her and makes her more confident in her math abilities.

My older son just finished Saxon Algebra 1 last week!!!!

This year was our first time using Saxon. I have this to say about it. I used all along Singapore Math in the lower grades. This is the first year that I moved into Saxon. It went very well for my older son.

I do not know a lot about Saxon, but I do know that it is a tired and true program. There are a lot of veteran and alumni moms who have used this curriculum and gone on to do well in it.

Just a little silly note, I don't know if you know who Tim Tebow is, but he is a quarterback for the Denver Broncos. He is a homeschool graduate and he used Saxon. He had ADD issues. So, it must work for some people out there!

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

My older son just finished Saxon Algebra 1 last week!!!!

This year was our first time using Saxon. I have this to say about it. I used all along Singapore Math in the lower grades. This is the first year that I moved into Saxon. It went very well for my older son.

I do not know a lot about Saxon, but I do know that it is a tired and true program. There are a lot of veteran and alumni moms who have used this curriculum and gone on to do well in it.

Just a little silly note, I don't know if you know who Tim Tebow is, but he is a quarterback for the Denver Broncos. He is a homeschool graduate and he used Saxon. He had ADD issues. So, it must work for some people out there!

Blessings,

Karen

www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I am from Gainesville, Florida. Of course I know who Timmy is! Funny because we were all excited when he was being recruited. My oldest ds was so thrilled that a homeschooler was going to play for his beloved Gators! :D

I saw him the first time he ran onto Florida Field. My dad is a Gator Booster, has season tickets. I have been going to games since I was a little girl.

Thanks everyone for all of the responses. You have solidified the decision.

There are probably more home schoolers who have successfully used Saxon than there are users of any other program. I've known some people who found that Saxon didn't work well for their kids, but no one who thought that a child who did work through Saxon would be unprepared for college math, with the exception of public school teachers who were really into the Rainforest Math model.

What is the "rainforest math" model? Just wondering...

We use it starting at age 10, for a few levels. We then switched to TT b/c we were building a house and DH (*aka our homeschool math teacher) was super busy on the house. Now that we've been in the house for several years, I kept the TT and started dc #2 w/ it, but we ended up going back to Saxon.

I'm not saying we won't use our TT, but he's happy in Saxon and learning.

So, we've used it w/ success but we've never used the elementary levels.

*I first wrote that Dh is aka math teacher, but he's not a professional math teacher! He's just the one who gets math and helps w/ hard concepts here at home. Had to clarify that!

Edited by Angie in VA
ETA clarifying info

We switched from Singapore to Saxon at the third grade level so I've seen a bit of the 1-3 format and now the 5/4 format.

I was mathy as a kid and I wish I had access to Saxon then. I love the constant review. I know some hate it but I believe it leads to mastery, I mean if you're seeing the same type of problem every day and not getting it at some point you're going to tire and ask for help, right?

We've committed to it. We've bought the program all the way through just in case the publisher pulls it. We've lent out books to friends when needed. I plan on reviewing the material myself just to review the material I once knew.

We do every lesson and every problem offered. That's the recommendation by Art Reed, who worked with John Saxon, and used the program in the school setting, offers video lessons that accompany 6/5 and up, and has a web site (google Art Reed). We'll add the video lesson next year so ds gets a taste of someone else doing the instructing.

I read many complaints about the number of math problems in each lesson but so far its peaked at 30 per lesson and that's not too much, particularly given the review style. Just this morning ds and I did half the problems orally, though I will still require he write them out and show his work to prove understanding.

Also, the number of posters that favor Saxon is refreshing. While no ones opinion would sway me I tire of the bad rap Saxon often receives. This thread was refreshing to read.

Jim

The homeschool editions have only been published since about 2004, I believe. We have been buying Saxon math since 1986 or so; the textbooks were the same as the ones used in schools, and they came with an answer key, masters for drills, and tests.

Saxon's first text may have been algebra, but as I said, we bought Math 76 in 1986 or so; Math 54 and 65 were released/published after that. I didn't see the algebra until after that (which doesn't mean it wasn't published, I guess, only that we hsers didn't have access to it).

Hmm..interesting! I wasn't homeschooling yet in the 1980s and only know what I was told by some long forgotten source.

But I will just say again, that we found the Algebra 1 text to be entirely acceptable to be used as an entry level text, having had no prior Saxon exposure, and being used by a mom with a poor math background. Also we did not have a solution manual or DVDs.

In contrast, I felt very underprepared to use the Calculus text without having used the Advanced Math text, but to be honest, I think we were underprepared in general. It was obvious to me that the calculus text was making a serious effort to bring students up to speed that had not used Saxon previously.