Menu

AP Comparative Government

Thanks. I don't know anything about PA Homeschoolers. Do you have any idea of their worldview or philosophy of government, etc? We strongly favor our own republican form of government and a free market economy. I obviously want my kids to study other cultures and governments, I just don't want to pay someone to undermine our values.

The course focused on the mechanics of the other governments. The teacher focused on covering the material in the class -- namely, what the other forms of government were like.

My son is a strong libertarian, and he enjoyed the class enormously. In my kids' government classes at PAH, most (though certainly NOT all) of the kids have been conservative. The teacher is used to teaching homeschoolers -- he is not out to undermine family beliefs but merely to cover the material that needs to be covered.

There will undoubtedly be some things in the class that you disagree with, but by talking with your son about what he is learning you can weigh in with your viewpoint.

Thanks, Gwen. I didn't mean to suggest anything negative - I just wanted to know where they are coming from. We've been spending a decent amount of time on college campuses for my son's moot court competitions, and I've been really shocked by some of what I'm hearing. I can't afford to be naive and take anyone's beliefs for granted.

http://www.aphomeschoolers.com/index.html?022412

You might read these reviews of the class -- they may give you more of a feel for what the class is like.

My son really liked the class and didn't find anything troubling about it. My kids have had a total of 13 AP classes, many in the humanities, so I totally understand your concerns about worldview.

One comment -- even if you disagree with some of what is taught in the class, having your son encounter different ideas while at home opens up huge areas of discussion. It's harder to have those discussions if he is away at college when he meets certain controversial ideas for the first time.

Pennsylvania Homeschoolers has a good AP Comp Gov't class. Ds enjoyed it very much, and it did a great job preparing him for the AP exam.

Gwen, this is reassuring! My son is in this class right now, and I was just starting to panic about the seeming *lack* of test prep. :willy_nilly:

So far the exams don't seem to have used the same types of essay questions as on the AP exam. The teacher did suggest prepping on your own using Wood and/or Wedding ... Can I ask if your son did a fair amount of prep on his own? I guess the other AP classes my son has taken built the test prep into the course ... I'm not seeing that here. :confused: I think my son knows the material cold -- but I know that if you don't write the essay questions in the "right" way, supporting the answer with all the evidence, you don't get full credit ... Thank you for any advice!

~Laura

All of my kids have worked through at least one (if not more) AP prep book before taking the AP exam, even when the class provides lots of review.

My ds didn't do any more prep than that, but he did our "standard" amount of outside prep.

That's peculiar that the class exams don't seem to have the same type of essay questions as the AP exams. Maybe the teacher has changed something about the class...?

All of my kids have worked through at least one (if not more) AP prep book before taking the AP exam, even when the class provides lots of review.

My ds didn't do any more prep than that, but he did our "standard" amount of outside prep.

That's peculiar that the class exams don't seem to have the same type of essay questions as the AP exams. Maybe the teacher has changed something about the class...?

OK, thanks, Gwen! I guess my son's previous AP classes (Calc BC & Comp Sci) were so complete, he didn't need to do any outside prep. He says they've had three exams in Comp Gov so far with two essay questions each, so that's only 6 ... and the exam is in just over two months. He's started doing the prep book on his own. I just didn't anticipate this ... But now I feel all set. Thanks again!