Menu

Here's what I want...

Nakia

A history and literature curriculum that:

• I can easily combine all of my girls into one period of history (will be ancients next year)
  • history that can be done easily in 3 days instead of spread over 5
  • interesting spines (not textbooks or just encyclopedias) and lots of great living books grouped by reading level
  • something structured but it doesn't have to be necessarily rigidly schedule, if that makes sense (I do need hand-holding though)
  • discussion questions, maps/geography, some activities (but not an overwhelming number) that I can pick and choose from
  • I'm sure there's something else that I can't think of right now.

Does it exist? The ones I am looking at are TOG, Biblioplan, and SL (which we've used for 2 years now), but I'm open to other recommendations. I also spent some time looking at MOH and SOTW to see if I can schedule it on my own and pick readers, but I honestly want to buy something where that part is done for me. I just don't think I can do it on my own.

Oh, MFW and HOD are out of the question.

I think I need a homeschool consultant. :lol:

• I can easily combine all of my girls into one period of history (will be ancients next year)

• interesting spines (not textbooks or just encyclopedias) and lots of great living books grouped by reading level

• something structured but it doesn't have to be necessarily rigidly schedule, if that makes sense (I do need hand-holding though)

• discussion questions, maps/geography, some activities (but not an overwhelming number) that I can pick and choose from

Does it exist? The ones I am looking at are TOG, Biblioplan, and SL (which we've used for 2 years now), but I'm open to other recommendations. I also spent some time looking at MOH and SOTW to see if I can schedule it on my own and pick readers, but I honestly want to buy something where that part is done for me. I just don't think I can do it on my own.

Nakia I am in the same boat! Except with early modern. My thing is I want to sit down with SL, TOG, Winterpromise, STOW AG, Biblioplan and History Odyssey.

By the way, have you looked at History Odyssey? I cannot remember what they ahve for discussion questions.

Edited by simka2

Not speaking from experience here, but have you looked at CHOLL for literature? If you liked it, you would just need to add history to it.

Also, have you looked at History Odyssey from Pandia Press? It seems I've read threads here that many prefer SOTW w/ AG over using their Level 1, but the Level 2 is based on WTM suggestions for logic stage history.

Another thought.... you could use SOTW w/ AG for your youngers and then a different ancient spine for your older (combined with appropriate level of CHOLL for each one).... the Oxford World in Ancient Times series has a teacher guide and a student guide - you could try one or the other for discussion questions, etc. There are really too many volumes to get through in one year, but if you wanted to choose 2 or 3 to focus on maybe you could just fall back on SOTW 1 for the other civilizations? I know other posters seem to like the K-12 spine, but I haven't seen it yet.

No answers here, but I was thinking when you're on the WTM forums, you HAVE a homeschooling consultant, LOL, hundreds of them!

Honestly, I haven't explored many history programs outside of SOTW. To me, it seems easy to make Monday a chapter reading and narration day, Wednesday a map and activity day, and Friday (into the weekend) related-reading day. Do we always do that? No. But I promise it's not for a lack of schedule. We're just very distractable, lol.

Nakia I am in the same boat! Except with early modern. My thing is I want to sit down with SL, TOG, Winterpromise, STOW AG, Biblioplan and History Odyssey.

By the way, have you looked at History Odyssey? I cannot remember what they ahve for discussion questions.

Yes, I want all of them in my living room floor so I can look through them, obsess for a couple of weeks, and then decide. LOL! I haven't looked at History Odyssey, but I will. I remember looking at Winterpromise, but I remember thinking it was really expensive for what you got. Of course, that was before I used SL, lol. I do love SL, and my favorite part is the literature/book lists. We haven't particularly loved the spines the last two years, but for ancients they use SOTW. Also, my kids would like some activities, at least once a week, and I really need that included because I am not a hands-on learner and have a hard time finding stuff for them to do. It would save me so much time and sanity to have suggestions for activities laid out that I could choose from.

Looking for the same thing here, with the added stipulation of it needs to be mostly secular.

I hope you find something! It's so hard, huh? Let me know if you do find something because I can always add in bible for us.

Not speaking from experience here, but have you looked at CHOLL for literature? If you liked it, you would just need to add history to it.

Also, have you looked at History Odyssey from Pandia Press? It seems I've read threads here that many prefer SOTW w/ AG over using their Level 1, but the Level 2 is based on WTM suggestions for logic stage history.

Another thought.... you could use SOTW w/ AG for your youngers and then a different ancient spine for your older (combined with appropriate level of CHOLL for each one).... the Oxford World in Ancient Times series has a teacher guide and a student guide - you could try one or the other for discussion questions, etc. There are really too many volumes to get through in one year, but if you wanted to choose 2 or 3 to focus on maybe you could just fall back on SOTW 1 for the other civilizations? I know other posters seem to like the K-12 spine, but I haven't seen it yet.

No answers here, but I was thinking when you're on the WTM forums, you HAVE a homeschooling consultant, LOL, hundreds of them!

The bolded made me laugh! So true. And you guys are free! :D

What is CHOLL? What do you think of MOH for my oldest? The problem is, as far as I know, it doesn't have activities and extra reading recommendations. I will look at the Oxford World series. Thank you!

Your wants list screams Biblioplan to me.....

BP is in the lead right now. I'm looking it over closely. I'm just worried that the book suggestions aren't as rich as the books in SL, but that's probably not true.

Honestly, I haven't explored many history programs outside of SOTW. To me, it seems easy to make Monday a chapter reading and narration day, Wednesday a map and activity day, and Friday (into the weekend) related-reading day. Do we always do that? No. But I promise it's not for a lack of schedule. We're just very distractable, lol.

:lol: I know the feeling. That's why I need something planned out for me.

WP ancients actually looks good but it is expensive and i have some of the titles already.

I love tog and printed it out but I really think I would like it more for dialectic stage. I'm considering trying unit one of TOG and seeing how it goes.

Eta I love TOG of working to show Gods hand in history and how the apex of history was the Messiah Christ. This is something I want for our family

Edited by warneral

What do you think of MOH for my oldest? The problem is, as far as I know, it doesn't have activities and extra reading recommendations. I will look at the Oxford World series. Thank you!

MOH - I have been tempted by it because it seems like it would be straightforward to implement. I had volume 1 years ago and didn't love it. The flow of writing is very chatty. I used snippets of vol. 3 earlier this year and liked it better. I know volume 1 has been revised since I tried it last, so I would imagine it was improved. I'm pretty sure MOH has activity suggestions by stage (iirc, the suggestions for the olders ones are sometimes writing or reporting options), so it could work across different ages. MOH may have an appendix of extra reading suggestions by chapter or unit, but they are not scheduled. In other words, I wouldn't rule MOH out. Maybe someone who has used it recently can post more info about activities and reading lists, etc.

http://www.classicalhouseoflearning.com/

This is the link to CHOLL (Classica House of Learning - Literature). You can click on grammar stage or logic stage and then on ancients. It was written by a board member here and it's free.

This just might be what I was looking for - free, equal time given to multiple religious beliefs, and book based.

Thanks for posting it!

Well I am going to use SOTW next year and made my own list of SL and classicalhouseoflearning book recommendations. I think I have enough books for the year between the two lists I was looking at. It was a lot of work though and if you could find something done for you chose that!! We didn't want to do the SOTW so fast as SL does in Core G and H. So doing my own thing. Hope I stay diligent about the planning! But my spreadsheet looks to hold enough books and my amazon wish list is ready when I go to buy.

TOG does all that you listed here really well with the exception of the history in 3 days (with an older student). Did you mean just the history portion, or all of TOG bits...lit, geography, art, vocab, and history reading in 3 days? If you only meant the history reading portion, that is easily done in 3 days. If you meant all of TOG I think that would be harder unless you want to do 1/2 speed. Some people do one year of TOG over 2 school years. If you spread it out like that, you could easily do 3 days a week.

MOH - I have been tempted by it because it seems like it would be straightforward to implement. I had volume 1 years ago and didn't love it. The flow of writing is very chatty. I used snippets of vol. 3 earlier this year and liked it better. I know volume 1 has been revised since I tried it last, so I would imagine it was improved. I'm pretty sure MOH has activity suggestions by stage (iirc, the suggestions for the olders ones are sometimes writing or reporting options), so it could work across different ages. MOH may have an appendix of extra reading suggestions by chapter or unit, but they are not scheduled. In other words, I wouldn't rule MOH out. Maybe someone who has used it recently can post more info about activities and reading lists, etc.

This looks really helpful! Now if only she had a Logic yr 3. There's always something right?! ;)

BP is in the lead right now. I'm looking it over closely. I'm just worried that the book suggestions aren't as rich as the books in SL, but that's probably not true.

I've used BP for two years and have just ordered it for this coming year. I didn't use it for ancients so I don't know what their list looks like for that but, for this upcoming year, many of the books in BP (Modern America) are also included with SL Core E.

Older dd is in middle school ps this year but she asked me to still buy her some books off the BP list because she has enjoyed them all.

This is the link to CHOLL (Classica House of Learning - Literature). You can click on grammar stage or logic stage and then on ancients. It was written by a board member here and it's free.

That looks really good. Even if I didn't use all the activities, the book list is great! Thanks!

WP ancients actually looks good but it is expensive and i have some of the titles already.

I love tog and printed it out but I really think I would like it more for dialectic stage. I'm considering trying unit one of TOG and seeing how it goes.

Eta I love TOG of working to show Gods hand in history and how the apex of history was the Messiah Christ. This is something I want for our family

I, too, was thinking of purchasing one unit of TOG to see what it's like in my hands.

Thanks for that info.

This just might be what I was looking for - free, equal time given to multiple religious beliefs, and book based.

Thanks for posting it!

Oh, I hope it does work for you!!

Well I am going to use SOTW next year and made my own list of SL and classicalhouseoflearning book recommendations. I think I have enough books for the year between the two lists I was looking at. It was a lot of work though and if you could find something done for you chose that!! We didn't want to do the SOTW so fast as SL does in Core G and H. So doing my own thing. Hope I stay diligent about the planning! But my spreadsheet looks to hold enough books and my amazon wish list is ready when I go to buy.

Yes, I, too am bothered that SL uses SOTW 1&2 in one year. That seems really fast! I just looked over my core G IG, and the fall of Rome is done by week 16. That's so stinkin' fast! I might do exactly what you've done, BUT BP has it already done. They schedule SOTW and MOH (as an alternate). BP is looking better and better, actually. Have you looked at it? Of course, your work is done now, lol.

Sorry, yes, Story of the World. I'm reading the adult version called History of the World and my brain was confused.

No problem!

TOG does all that you listed here really well with the exception of the history in 3 days (with an older student). Did you mean just the history portion, or all of TOG bits...lit, geography, art, vocab, and history reading in 3 days? If you only meant the history reading portion, that is easily done in 3 days. If you meant all of TOG I think that would be harder unless you want to do 1/2 speed. Some people do one year of TOG over 2 school years. If you spread it out like that, you could easily do 3 days a week.

Yes, I meant history reading in 3 days. And the reason for that is so I can add in the other stuff on the other days. Thank you!

I've used BP for two years and have just ordered it for this coming year. I didn't use it for ancients so I don't know what their list looks like for that but, for this upcoming year, many of the books in BP (Modern America) are also included with SL Core E.

Older dd is in middle school ps this year but she asked me to still buy her some books off the BP list because she has enjoyed them all.

Oh good! Thanks for letting me know.

Have you seen this schedule for Mystery of History and Story of the World? We are using this next year for my non-high school kids. (well, plus other items I am scheduling with these) but this sounds like what you are looking for!

I hadn't seen that before. Thank you!

Your wants list screams Biblioplan to me.....

:iagree::iagree:

I think you could easily use SL books instead of/in addition to the scheduled readers and read-alouds. I've narrowed my choices to BP or SL for next year (waiting to see SL's changes) and that is my plan. I would be using BP Ancients and adding some of SL Core B books.

Good luck in the search!:D It's so hard isn't it?

:lol: I know the feeling. That's why I need something planned out for me.

But that's where you're confusing me, lol.

I'm not sure what additional details you would need if you did a M/W/F chapter/activity/additional reading schedule. If your issue is simply not having it down on paper, I'd be happy to write it down for you for a $20 ink fee. ;):tongue_smilie:

But that's where you're confusing me, lol.

I'm not sure what additional details you would need if you did a M/W/F chapter/activity/additional reading schedule. If your issue is simply not having it down on paper, I'd be happy to write it down for you for a $20 ink fee. ;):tongue_smilie:

So what you are trying to tell me is that I am completely over thinking this, I need to chill, I can do it with SOTW and the AG myself, and it will all be okay? That I can stop stressing? Is this what you are telling me? I have just never even attempted this before. Can it be that easy???? Easy isn't the right word, but I hope you know what I mean.

Because here's the thing, I don't want to purchase a curriculum that schedules a couple of spines for me and then I still end up planning my own history and literature readers because I don't like their selections. Does that make sense?

Someone above linked a SOTW and MOH schedule that coincides the chapters, so my littles could do SOTW and my oldest could do MOH. Then I add historical fiction and literature? Is it possible that I don't actually need history and literature discussion guides?

Carrie, please don't think I'm nuts. LOL! I'm really not. Well, I am, especially in the spring. I will eventually chill out. I hope.

:iagree::iagree:

I think you could easily use SL books instead of/in addition to the scheduled readers and read-alouds. I've narrowed my choices to BP or SL for next year (waiting to see SL's changes) and that is my plan. I would be using BP Ancients and adding some of SL Core B books.

Good luck in the search!:D It's so hard isn't it?

I now have, thanks to a very generous WTM'er, the BP Ancients Family Guide. But here's the thing. If I am going to be substituting books and planning my own readers/read-aloud schedule, why purchase the rest of BP's curriculum? The SOTW AG and MOH book (from what someone posted above) have activities, maps, suggested reading, etc in them. So what am I paying BP for? I don't mean that to sound mean, but I do want to be a good steward of our money. I hope that makes sense.

Just a thought - have you looked at the Beautiful Feet study guides?

:)

We used BF when my oldest was in 2nd grade, I think. I remember we liked it, but then we decided to go with MFW (didn't like at all). I'll look at BF again. Thanks for the reminder!!

I follow my own plan using a variety of booklists...for example All Through the Ages: http://www.nothingnewpress.com/atta.shtml and Truthquest: http://truthquesthistory.com/.

I have never been able to use a gridded schedule designed by someone else because I have a wide variety of literature to choose from between my home library and the county library that may not be included in another history curriculum.

If you commit to a certain amount of time each week, you will get through your materials and literature marvelously...doing your own thing.

Add in narrations, notebooking, timelines, mapping, and you have an excellent customizable program.

Edited by LivingHope

I now have, thanks to a very generous WTM'er, the BP Ancients Family Guide. But here's the thing. If I am going to be substituting books and planning my own readers/read-aloud schedule, why purchase the rest of BP's curriculum? The SOTW AG and MOH book (from what someone posted above) have activities, maps, suggested reading, etc in them. So what am I paying BP for? I don't mean that to sound mean, but I do want to be a good steward of our money. I hope that makes sense.

That does make sense. I was thinking I would depend on the Parent Companion as my spine, maybe add some SOTW. Then wherever I saw a book I didn't want to read I would simply cross it out and plug in another one. Since MOH is for slightly older kids (my kids are delayed) I would add it the second time through BP.

Maybe I should just go with SL.:tongue_smilie: Why does choosing have to be so hard??

Thank you! This looks wonderful. And, the books used are actually at my library!! I had given up on my library because they never had what I needed. :D

then we decided to go with MFW (didn't like at all).

Hi Nakia~

I'm in the same boat as you for next year. I have "sort-of" narrowed it down between BP and MFW and then I saw you post the above. Would you mind saying what you disliked about MFW? I'm not able to go a convention this year and trying to figure out what to use just by the online samples is driving me nuts! ;)

Hi Nakia~

I'm in the same boat as you for next year. I have "sort-of" narrowed it down between BP and MFW and then I saw you post the above. Would you mind saying what you disliked about MFW? I'm not able to go a convention this year and trying to figure out what to use just by the online samples is driving me nuts! ;)

The spines are BORING! Well, they were to us, at least (we used ECC and CtG). They use a lot of Usborne books, which we did not like. I think the "book basket" was the killer for us. I had a toddler and a K/1st grader at the time, along with a 3rd/4th grader, and we could not make the book basket work at all. A lot of people will tell you it is a full and rich curriculum without using the book basket, but it just wasn't for us. We need historical fiction and literature.

Edited by Nakia

The spines are BORING! Well, they were to us, at least (we used ECC and CtG). They use a lot of Usborne books, which we did not like. I think the "book basket" was the killer for us. I had a toddler and a K/1st grader at the time, and we could not make the book basket work at all. A lot of people will tell you it is a full and rich curriculum without using the book basket, but it just wasn't for us. We need historical fiction and literature.

Thanks!! I think I'll knock that one off my list as well....

Then I add historical fiction and literature? Is it possible that I don't actually need history and literature discussion guides?

After you chose your lit, type '___(name of book)___ discussion questions' and you can find a ton of them if you feel you want to add them in. I did it a few times and get more than I can use! Essay prompts- all kinds of things will pop up! That way you can pick and choose how much you discuss and how much you just read.

ETA: Here is a Google search for questions to go with The Golden Goblet.

Let me muddy the waters a little more for you:

http://curriculum-for-homeschool.com/learning_series/

This curriculum is fun and EASY to implement and my son loves it!! The geography component is something I really appreciate. The literature is great, the science is fun and all the worksheets, answers, instructions, etc. are RIGHT THERE.

I use TGTL in conjunction with WinterPromise, SOTW, Konos...and whatever else I have around here. I don't neccessarily recommend the combining...that's my personal quirk, I love lesson planning. I should probably seek professional help, but seriously, I love it! :lol:

The spines are BORING! Well, they were to us, at least (we used ECC and CtG). They use a lot of Usborne books, which we did not like. I think the "book basket" was the killer for us. I had a toddler and a K/1st grader at the time, along with a 3rd/4th grader, and we could not make the book basket work at all. A lot of people will tell you it is a full and rich curriculum without using the book basket, but it just wasn't for us. We need historical fiction and literature.

I agree with you here. LOVED the spine for Adventures. LOVED, LOVED, LOVED that year. ECC has driven me nuts and when I look at the spines for CtG I just know we won't like it as I'm familiar with all of those spines.

I'm pretty set on Biblioplan next year. I used Sonlight for 10 years before MFW and loved if for my oldest child but it hasn't been a good fit for my younger. Biblioplan seems to use many of the same books as Sonlight.

Well, I seem to be following your posts as I think we might be looking for the same curriculum, whatever that is! :tongue_smilie: I don't have the booklist for ancients, but the one for middle ages has a good number of SL books, adding the few extras won't be hard at all (I plan to). They also use a lot of VP and TOG books. I did a list myself of lit/supplemental reading for this year and it was a lot of work. I have liked many of the books we have read, and I got many more of the SOTW AG books from the library, but honestly those have been hit or miss for us. That along with wanting to avoid the need for the library like the plague next year pretty much brought the choices to SL or BP. We are pretty set on BP for next year.

I know so many pp say to use SOTW with AG and that is enough, but it isn't for everyone. I want to own the books, and I can't buy them all so I need to choose wisely. Also, I like the BP extras, and I think/hope having it all in hand and not having to search for anything will be worth it!

oh, and why I chose SL over BP for next year (or so I think!) ;)

--BP has not just the historical fiction chapter books of SL, but also the great picture books.

--SL cores B and C are not "enough" history for me. There are a lot of read alouds, but not as many as I would like that would be from that time period. BP uses books from Core C and D in their year 2.

--I wanted a more chronological history

--Hands on component. I really like the BP extras. Enough, but not too much to sacrifice great lit.

Happy choosing! :)