Menu

Peoria, IL????

Anyone live there or been there? My husband is currently interviewing for a job there. We are native Texasians. :) I have never been farther north than Oklahoma City. This will be a huge change for us.

Does anyone live there or have been there? Is it a family friendly area. Any advice on what is a good area to look for a home? Any area's to avoid? From what I can tell the cost of living is about the same as here. Homeschooling laws seem to be the same as Texas.

I would love any advice.

Thanks,

Lori

Anyone live there or been there? My husband is currently interviewing for a job there. We are native Texasians. :) I have never been farther north than Oklahoma City. This will be a huge change for us.

Does anyone live there or have been there? Is it a family friendly area. Any advice on what is a good area to look for a home? Any area's to avoid? From what I can tell the cost of living is about the same as here. Homeschooling laws seem to be the same as Texas.

I would love any advice.

Thanks,

Lori

We lived and homeschooled in Peoria for about 5 years. It is COLD - just be prepared. And there is a lot of corn - everywhere! Very easy to homeschool - virtually no regulations. There are some co-ops but we didn't do any while I was there. Check out Peoria Area Homeschoolers site and yahoo group and you can get plugged in pretty quickly. It is pretty family friendly.

Places to look for a home: Depends on where the job is. Dunlap and Edwards are to the north a bit (15 min. drive from downtown) and both have a lot of growth. However, there is a lot of new construction out there and values are dropping a bit in some of the areas.

Near downtown are some beautiful areas (Prospect Ave, places off Grandview and some a great neighborhood whose name escapes me near Knoxville and War Memorial) More crime in those areas but not tons. Most of your crime in downtown.

Across the river - Metamora and Morton have some nice areas. You tend to be able to get more land and house for less there (though watch the taxes. Morton's were higher if I remember correctly.) Sometimes can be take a little longer to sell across the river. Plus, you are farther away from big shopping. On the plus side, you are closer to Bloomington which has a lot more going on than Peoria - children's museum along with homeschool classes, more restaurants, stores, cheaper airport)

If you have specific questions, PM me and I'd be happy to share whatever I can.