Menu

Cat "attack" - Should I be worried?

So, I was out walking with my dog this morning, and there was a pretty white cat sitting on the porch of a house we passed. As we walked by, my dog started getting nervous, and I was reassuring her that it was fine, because it was just a cat.

Note: We have two cats in the house, both black. My dog gets along well with one of them, but not the other. The one with whom she has tension is just touchy with everyone, including my husband and son who are "his people." But the point is that the dog is used to cats and generally gets along with them fine.

The cat left the porch and walked up to me. Since I was trying to reassure my dog, I held her on a short leash and spoke calmly to both of the animals while I reached down to pet the cat. My dog was just pulling and trying to get away, but the cat went ballistic. It repeatedly jumped at and on my dog, hissing and scratching and trying to bite. My dog was terrified and kept trying to get off the leash and make a run for it. I finally managed to pick her up and stalk walking away, but the cat followed us. I tried stomping the ground and telling it to go, but it kept after us for most of the block until we turned a corner.

I don't see any obvious scratch or bite marks on the dog, and she seems calm now that we're home. But I've never seen a cat act like that and am now starting to worry.

Money is tight at the moment. So, I don't want to be hysterical and rush off to the vet if it's not necessary. But I also don't want to take a chance that the cat has something communicable and put my dog at risk.

Thoughts? Advice? Does anyone know if this is something that should worry me? Or if I need to do anything more than not walk the dog on that street again?

Thanks.

I think you just met a cranky cat. I'd maybe say something to the owners, about how their cat is getting into fights with dogs, but I wouldn't worry about disease.

:iagree: Our cat is usually great with the dogs but sometimes he has an off day where he is really cranky and the dogs can't even walk by him without getting attacked.

I'd check him closely for puncture marks and if he has been bit, take him in. Cat bites are terrible. My cat bit me a few months ago. (he's a sweetheart, but *hates* the dog. I was holding him trying to take him out of the room. Not doing that again!) I had iv antibiotics at the er and oral for awhile after that. It took a lot to get the swelling down from the infection. The way cats bite, it bleeds very little and traps germs from thier filthy mouths inside, making infections pretty bad. If you don't find any punctures, he's probably fine. And lesson learned, don't try to make friends with a cat when you have a dog close by!

I'd contact animal control and tell them what happened - they can find out if the cat is up to date on its shots or not, and let you know.

Some cats can be as territorial as a dog. I think you met one!

:iagree: I am glad the cat did not hurt you or your dog. The summer we moved here a cat attacked my dd on my front lawn. It is a mean old thing from down the block that is allowed to roam the neighborhood. DD was 2 on teh front lawn sitting holding a new kitten, and this cat came charging out of no where, jumped on dd and started biting her. DD was covered with scratches and bites, needed TiG shots (she was unimmunized due to past bad reaction), oral and topical antibiotics etc. She has scars nearly 2 yrs later from it.

Some cats are just plan cranky and nasty and should not be permitted out.

Look very closely for cat bites, especially. They get infected very readily. They can also be hard to spot through a coat of hair, and are often overlooked until an abscess starts to form.

I agree. If your dog got whapped (great term, I know), you might call the vet to see if there is anything you can give for pain. Don't use OTC meds. Cat thrashings can leave bruises even if there are no puncture wounds or scratches.

Cats can be boogers. I've seen cats take on large breed dogs before.

My cat is an indoor only cat but he has no problems asserting his dominance. He doesn't have front claws but any dog he has ever met quickly backs down to him- he smacks a curious dog hard on the nose and that seems to keep dogs away from him. My other cats never had issues with dogs but this one was a foundling at 11 weeks and I guess he had bad early experience with dogs. He mostly gets along with my dog but occasionally still whacks him.

I think you just met a cranky cat. I'd maybe say something to the owners, about how their cat is getting into fights with dogs, but I wouldn't worry about disease.

Thanks to ktgrok and everyone else who reassured me. I did give my dog a quick bath (because she has this tendency to pee herself when she gets scared - lovely, right), and I looked her over then. I didn't see any bites or serious scratches. And I did remind myself that she is up to date on all of her own vaccinations. So, we're probably fine. But the experience was new to me. So, it's nice to be reassured!

No, not by asking a question. By worrying about a cat jumping a dog. If there's a problem you'll know. Then go to the vet.

If there's a grumpy cat carry your dog or don't go that way.

Did you miss all the other posts that explained how dangerous and sometimes difficult to spot cat bites can be? Why the venom over someone asking a simple question? It's not like she said "Cats are so evil! I can't believe these horrible owners who left their vicious cat on the porch without supervision! Should I take my poor precious doggy for emergency treatment?"

Is there a history between the two of you that I missed somewhere?

If it would have been a dog, people would automatically tell you to call animal control. There is a double standard when it comes to pets on a leash. I have 4 dogs. All of whom would rather lick you to death than bite, but they are not allowed out of the house without being on a leash. Any animal that attacks another animal that is not on their property is a problem.

I have had cats when we lived in the country and I didn't have neighbors. They were outside most of the time. I did have a cat that attacked a pit bull that my brother's friend had brought over. The poor dog was afraid of cats from that day forward.

I have a friend whose dogs got out of their yard to chase a cat that was in her yard. They killed it. Now she has to go to court.

Pets are a responsibility and if you can't keep yours under control, then you shouldn't have them. I'd call the owner, and if they blew it off, I'd call animal control. What if it would have been one of your children that the cat "just didn't like"

Yes, I would worry. People tend to vaccinate cats less because they are not licensed. What if the cat bit you and it didn't have any vaccinations? What if the cat likes to attack children? You did not antagonize the cat. The owners need to be aware that their cat seeks out other animals to attack.

Cats are highly territorial. Personally I would never encourage you to go up to an animal that is not on a leash with the owner, but especially when having your own pet who is nervous around some animals be forced through that either. it is too easy to put one of the animals in a place of failure.

With that said, if you see no visible wounds you will probably be fine HOWEVER if the cat did bite your dog then yes, a vet visit would be in order or at least contact with the owners for proof of vaccines.

If an animal comes into contact with another animal such as a bite and the vaccines status is unknown then a booster of the rabies vaccine is normally recommended.

Hang in there but next time do not try to approach a loose animal especially with your dog there.

Cats are highly territorial. Personally I would never encourage you to go up to an animal that is not on a leash with the owner, but especially when having your own pet who is nervous around some animals be forced through that either. it is too easy to put one of the animals in a place of failure.

With that said, if you see no visible wounds you will probably be fine HOWEVER if the cat did bite your dog then yes, a vet visit would be in order or at least contact with the owners for proof of vaccines.

If an animal comes into contact with another animal such as a bite and the vaccines status is unknown then a booster of the rabies vaccine is normally recommended.

Hang in there but next time do not try to approach a loose animal especially with your dog there.

I didn't approach. We walked right past the house. The cat came down off the porch and followed us. Only when it got right up next to my legs did I reach down to pet it.

I couldn't tell in the moment whether my dog had been bitten. I gave her a bath, though, and didn't see anything like a bite mark. So, I think we're probably fine.

Thanks a bunch for posting. I was really hoping someone with professional-type experience might chime in for me.

My brother had a cat that hated dogs. This cat would attack a much larger dog (and win). My brother never let that cat outside. He had to replace every window treatment in every house he lived. When my mother would visit (she brought her cockerspaniel) the dog had to stay in a cage, in another room with a closed door for the dog's safety.

I agree to watch the dog for signs of infection, then avoid that house from now on. If the problem persists, talk to the owner of the cat.

I am a cat owner, always have been and I don't think you are overreacting. Since some cat owners don't get their cats rabies shots, if there is the slight possibility that the cat might have bitten your dog, you might want to go to the owner and ask for proof that the cat is up to date on shots. If they are up to date, they should not have a problem with showing you the papers or giving you their vets name.

Regarding the cat, I have always owned cats and had never met a cat that I was afraid of or would consider "evil" until a few months ago when we went to look at a house for sale. The sellers realtor was there along with ours and there were 2 cats, one was a normal cat but the other was , in my opinion, evil. Me, the very experienced cat owner was scared of this cat. It tried to attack all of us while we were in the house, we just left. I hope the sellers realtor told them to crate it for the next clients, (what if they had small children, this cat was more than ready to attack).

Anyway, hope your dog is okay and I am sure you know to now be wary of any animals when their owner is not there.

a bit of context here; we took in a stray cat and she was pregnant before we could have her fixed, we ended up with kittens. She acted like this after the kittens, to the point of several times taking off from the porch and attacking dogs on leashes on the sidewalk. She was in hyper mama mode. She didn't hurt the dogs, but scared them and the owners. We ended up putting up a warning sign and warning people verbally. She was the sweetest cat to everyone else and did calm down after the kittens were grown and given away. She still got kind of stalkerish when dogs were in front of the house, but didn't attack them anymore.

maybe the cat has kittens. I wouldn't right off the bat think rabies. Maybe you could check with the owners.

I didn't approach. We walked right past the house. The cat came down off the porch and followed us. Only when it got right up next to my legs did I reach down to pet it.

I couldn't tell in the moment whether my dog had been bitten. I gave her a bath, though, and didn't see anything like a bite mark. So, I think we're probably fine.

Thanks a bunch for posting. I was really hoping someone with professional-type experience might chime in for me.

If your dog starts acting painful in the newt week or favoring a certain side then the cat was probably able to bite her. Since the bath showed no obvious wounds at this time (you would be looking for pin prick style holes) then just keeping an eye on her for the next week or 2 should probably be fine.

Even when approached by an animal off leash, when I have my children or own pets with I do not pet or touch. It is what we teach our Dog 4-H club children as well. If there is a potential health risk that I feel I need to intervene professionally then I will have someone else hold my critters before getting the animal as well.

I see/hear the horror stories all the time of the what mights.

Glad things were not worse for you!:grouphug: