Menu

SUNY - Geneseo, Binghamton, Oneonta?

Myra

Well DH and I both went to Geneseo and I did grad school there for teaching as well. It is an amazing school. BEAUTIFUL!!! It is not too big. I don't know your religious views but Binghamton had a large Jewish population when I was in college (87-94) if that is a factor in your decision. Oneonta was known as a teaching school for the most part back then and not on the same caliber as Geneseo. Geneseo has an incredible business department and is known for that. There have been several magazine articles about the business school. I would choose between Geneseo and Binghamton. Geneseo is a small and cute town that revolves around the college. It is about 30 minutes south of Rochester, which is a great city as well.

Good luck with your decision!

I don't think there is a bad choice there, and since they are all SUNYs the price should be similar. I'd say visit them all and let your son pick the one he likes best. I'd spend some time looking at the actual professors in the department he thinks he will major in, because some departments will be stronger than others. Talking to professors during a visit could be helpful too.

My daughter didn't consider Binghamton (too big), but visited Geneseo and Oneonta. They both have very nice campuses and are in the middle of nowhere. She ended up not applying to Geneseo, but that was more because their biology department has a big pre-professional focus, and she wanted more ecology/environmental science, not because she didn't like the school.

She ended up at Oneonta, so if you have specific questions about that school let me know.