Menu

Listening to music during school

kandty

When I was in college I always had music on when I was studying but sometimes the words would distract me...so I wound up listening to movie scores. Like 'Dances with Wolves' or 'Last of the Mohicans' and I swear I had some Bruce Lee movie score...'Dragon' was it?

Anyway - I am obviously old but I am sure there are more recent, original instrumental scores. Or even 'Star Wars' or 'Indiana Jones' -- my boys listen to those all the time!

Of course that might be worse than pop music if they decide to act out scenes!!

Pandora has many instrumental stations if you can listen via the Internet. We like solo piano, jazz, and easy listening. You can create your own stations based on artists you like, as well. We have a Dave Brubeck station, which is jazzy and upbeat, with irregular rhythms.

Anyway - I am obviously old but I am sure there are more recent, original instrumental scores. Or even 'Star Wars' or 'Indiana Jones' -- my boys listen to those all the time!

What a great idea! Funny, how that didn't even occur to me...

Ooh, I got my own self looking into these and I want to buy the 'How to Train Your Dragon' cd: http://www.amazon.com/Train-Your-Dragon-John-Powell/dp/B00386EZJU

Should...not...browse...Amazon...when...tired.......

Oooo, now *I* want that HtTYDragon soundtrack! we love that movie. :D

My girls like the Wall-E soundtrack. It has 1-2 short songs w/ vocals, but for the most part, it is really lovely, futuristic score.

Oooo, now *I* want that HtTYDragon soundtrack! we love that movie. :D

My girls like the Wall-E soundtrack. It has 1-2 short songs w/ vocals, but for the most part, it is really lovely, futuristic score.

I love Wall-E's music, too -- even when I told my husband I was buying the HtTYD score my mind was asking, "what about Wall-E?" :D

Great minds think alike! Or at least groove to the same tunes...:) haha

Just be sure they are not turning the music up loud enough to drown out noise of family members. I used to let my son listen to music during school but then I realized he was using the music to drown out the distraction of my dd and I talking/learning together. Unforunately, this causes hearing loss if done over a long term. If you speak to your sons in a regular tone of voice, not loud, and not very close, and they have to ask you to repeat yourself, their music is too loud.

Now that my disclaimer is over, we have found this guy named Ewan Dobson that my son LOVES. He is kind of weird on his album cover (he is riding a space pickle or something!) but his music is awesome, it's all 12 string guitar modern music. You have to try it to see.

My dh also found Ronald Jenkees to be very mentally stimulating but not distracting. He listens to both of these while at work (he is a computer programmer analyst)

Those are some "cool" instrumental and non-distracting music. But my ds also loves Bach.

I love Wall-E's music, too -- even when I told my husband I was buying the HtTYD score my mind was asking, "what about Wall-E?" :D

Great minds think alike! Or at least groove to the same tunes...:) haha

:party:

(grooving to the tunes when we should be schooling...:D)

Can't wait to listen to some of the recs on this thread!