Menu

SAT practice test scores vs. actual SAT scores

Dd will be taking the SAT this Saturday. She used the College Board SAT practice book to prep. She did the first two practice tests and did very well.

For those whose children has taken the SAT, did their actual scores reflect the scores they got on the practice tests? Are some practice tests easier than others? According to the College Board SAT prep book, the tests Dd took were ones actually used in 2006 and 2007. Has the SAT become more difficult since? If yes, I'd like to prepare Dd for that possibility.

I'm just really curious about this and would like to know what you've experienced.

Thank you!

Anna

My DS used a 'used' SAT prep book with practice tests, believe the book you're speaking of. It was a couple of years behind. When he took the practice tests, he did well. When he took the SAT, he did well. He only had to take it one time.

On a side note, he said the book 'Hack the SAT' was the best prep he did. A friends was struggling, had to get his score up to confirm his entrance to honors college, lent him the book & his score went up 200 points. My understanding, mainly test taking strategies, but gave them more confidence.

I have found that prep books are aimed at the average student, to help them get a good score. If they want to seriously raise their score from good to amazing, then the typical prep books won't help them. Look on Amazon and read reviews, there are some books aimed at getting a "top" score.

I have found that prep books are aimed at the average student, to help them get a good score. If they want to seriously raise their score from good to amazing, then the typical prep books won't help them. Look on Amazon and read reviews, there are some books aimed at getting a "top" score.

What book would that be? SOn wants top score. lol

Holly

We used Barrons 2400, I think it was called. Ds always did well on regular prep books, and they didn't tell him anything he didn't know. This one had all medium or hard level questions, it's that hard level that you have to be consistent on. It also has a lot of test taking strategies, which are very important. I have a friend that works for a test prep company and she said the same thing as me, most books help you get a "good" score. Ds score wasn't far off that 2400, first time taking. Good luck.