Menu

Help me plan some sneaky summer homeschooling

I was leaning toward schooling year-round, but it seems like the kids are not going to agree. :D So I'm trying to plan some things for the summer that are still educational but don't seem like schoolwork. Here are my ideas so far:

Math - play lots of board and card games (monopoly, war, etc). Some of our computer games have some logic.

Social Studies - play "The Scrambled States of America" and "10 Days in the USA". Maybe watch some Brainpop.

Language Arts - lots of library visits, continue bedtime stories, write letters to their cousins, not sure what else?

Science - hoping to do a few fun experiments / have discussions. I would love to use BFSU over the summer, but not sure if it has writing in it. We will do some camping, nature walks. The kids might do a science camp.

Music - probably just listening to different kinds of music

Art - bring out supplies at various times and start using them - I'm guessing they will join in.

PE - they will probably keep up with their sports over the summer and run around the park. We may get a trampoline. We will probably do some swimming.

Chinese - I have no idea how to keep this going over the summer. Ds is totally against Chinese camp. We will probably watch DVDs, but that isn't enough to keep up with characters, etc. This will probably be the toughest subject to sneak in as ds isn't fond of it.

Let me know if you have more ideas!

do your children like to make lapbooks? this is one thing I do in the summer. I let them pick a topic from the Homeschool Share website and then print the pages off, help know what to do, let then do it. They love reading their lapbooks over and over again.

Otherwise, it sounds great....I am going to mark your post....you have some really good ideas that I think I am going to use.

Enroll them in Hogwarts Summer Correspondence School. We did that the first year we were homeschooling. They loved it. We did three subjects. The care of Magical Creatures, arithmacy, amd potions. There is a yahoo group dedicated to it. Hmm, now I am thinking I should do it again.

I'll be honest: I sound hard-hearted, but I wouldn't let kids that age make that kind of decision. I have eight-year-olds and I've always just said, "we school in the summer. Period."

It's for them -- no brain drain -- but also for me. . . I can ease up a bit when I need to during the year and not feel so stressed about it.

But for unschooling in the year I wanted to add: cooking and baking. You can add math in of course, but also just learning to cook and bake are excellent life skills. I really want my boys to know how to do both.

I'd also add: lots of crafts, building things at the Home Depot and Lowe's Saturday Kid's Days, crafts at Whole Foods Kid's Days, lots of library visits, tons of reading aloud, tons of audio books, going to live theater.

But I'd pull the I'm-the-mom thing and insist on year round schooling w/ fantastic breaks.

Alley

Another that is planning to be the meanie. SO MUCH is loss in a summer gap IMO and I pull rank. I do plan to readjust our schedule quite a bit though... Mornings are free while its still cool, and then school work done during the hottest part of the day. I also plan to be more flexible with non-core subjects. Math and English are non-negotiable... Reading of course as well, but since starting HSng we haven't had a lot of issues motivating the reading.

Geography boxes

Astronomy

Veritas Press summer reading list K–2nd, 3rd–6th, 7th–12th. VP also has a summer reading contest.

Don't forget read alouds.

Local homeschoolers put on a yearly drama camp- they now cap it at 65 kids. We also do a summer Shakespeare Camp. Both started as back-yard get-togethers with a few families. Scripts were fairy tales that Mom's added dialog too.

I'm leading a History of the Horse unit this summer with girls from my writing class and we'll continue WWS as a group over the summer. We are going to plan a long day evey week or other week, do some intensive writing and then play capture the flag, scavenger hunts, tramp fun, etc on our acerage.

Are you traveling? Factory Tours by State.

I also have a "Summer Fun" board on Pinterest. I'm going to make a summer "bucket list" for the kids so thier time is directed, but more relaxed than our regular schedule.

We're doing school-light through the summer. Math and reading each day, then maybe a fun read aloud, project, field trip, etc. a few times a week.

HipGal, I think your ideas are all good ones. School doesn't have to look the same all year round. What if you had the kids do "lessons" for 30 minutes a day... choose whether it's most important to have them do math, or whatever. Then they have to read each day, then your fun learning ideas. Not at all like full school, but keeps them going with learning.

The summer Olympics study sounds fun, I'll have to look at that.

Lisa, great ideas... do you have a link to VP's summer contest, or is the info out for that yet?? I peeked at their website but didn't see anything.

Enroll them in Hogwarts Summer Correspondence School. We did that the first year we were homeschooling. They loved it. We did three subjects. The care of Magical Creatures, arithmacy, amd potions. There is a yahoo group dedicated to it. Hmm, now I am thinking I should do it again.

Great idea! Maybe, maybe I will look into this.

My plans as of this moment (warning: all plans are subject to change!):

Continue Life of Fred elementary series through the summer (We just started Apples last night and read 3 chapters already!)

Continue having dd9 practice her reading. She is improving, at long, long last, and I want it to keep improving! We also join in our library's summer reading challenge each year.

Ds10 will probably keep writing - he's working on a story/book at the moment.

And we're going to cover our state history this summer, through good books and field trips.

We also garden, go camping and hiking, so lots of practical skills and incidental nature study.

Edited by momto2Cs

I vote for school lite during the summer also. Kids don't get a say because I'm the grownup.

Here's what we do:

Singapore Math

Lots of reading and read alouds

SOTW audiobooks

German - going to try and start this but haven't worked out logistics yet

HWOT cursive

As many stories as she wants to write ;)

For your ages I'm also going to suggest Sum Swamp, it might be a little too easy for your older kid but he'll still really enjoy it. We're working on multiplication here and it still got requested a few days ago.

• 3 years later...