Menu

Talk to me about twins

There is a possibility that I am currently preggo with twins. I am supposed to have an ultrasound in a couple weeks to find out for sure. So even though I don't know for sure yet, I would like to start thinking about what it means to be pregnant with twins. (and to be honest, i am very interested in the subject for its own sake, even if it turns out that it's not twins) How is different from a singleton pregnancy? I know that typically twins are classed as high risk, but I'd like to know why? I am a natural childbirth-er and would like to do that again. I did not want an early ultrasound, and am even still slightly tempted to refuse this one, but I know I would probably catch heck for that from my midwife (she is very not crunchy and is not cool about skipping routine procedures).

So if those of you who have had twins could please talk to me about what it means during pregnancy - especially with regards to natural/unnecessary-intervention-free birth I would really appreciate it.

Thank you!!

ETA: I forgot to mention that while I've given birth naturally for my previous three births, they were all in a hospital and as much as I would LOVE to have a home birth, it's just not an option right now for various reasons, so I will be dealing with hospitals and doctors and their policies.

Edited by Mrs. A
One more thing...

Barbara Luke's When You're Expecting Twins, Triplets, or Quads: Proven Guidelines for a Healthy Multiple Pregnancy

I don't have time to go into detail, but about half of twin pregnancies deliver prior to 37 weeks (average is 35-36 weeks). There is a much, much higher risk of complications.

If it makes you feel any better, my twin delivery was my first (and second? ;)) VBAC, albeit at 33 weeks due to PROM.

Congratulations!!

My twins are 12 now, so my memories of the pregnancy are dimmed a bit by time and by the memory-eating first two years of parenting twins. :tongue_smilie:

First, interventions during pregnancy. I had a ton of ultrasounds. They wanted one every month from the time we learned I was carrying twins at 16 weeks. I also had a couple of others due to worries about preterm labor. Compared to my first pregnancy, where I had one ultrasound, that seemed like a lot.

I was going to a group of Certified Nurse Midwives who were in a group practice with three OB/GYNs. Once we learned it was twins, I had blended care. I saw a midwife for every checkup, but one of the OBs would come in for the last 5-10 mins of each appointment and look over my chart, talk to me, etc.

They did require that an OB actually deliver the babies, but a midwife was in the room as well.

Next, interventions during pregnancy. Honestly, my twin delivery was the best of my three deliveries and the only one I did without drugs of any kind. It helped that the babies were smaller (6 lbs 9 oz and 6 lbs 15 oz compared to my 8 lbs 4 oz and 9 lbs 9 oz singletons). It really helped that twin A was the only one of my four kiddos who managed to be both head down and face down. Twin B went from breech to transverse during delivery of twin A, so the doctor reached in, grabbed her feet, and pulled her out.

The doctor on call when I went into labor was the doctor in the practice who was not comfortable with my no-epidural approach. I had to sign a scary paper acknowledging that if I needed a c-section they would have to do a general and I might die. I also had to deliver in the operating room with a whole host of people standing by (including an anesthesiologist) and I agreed to have a port inserted just in case. This was helpful when they had to give me pitocin after the birth to stop the excessive bleeding.

OK, I'll stop now. Clearly I remember more than enough. :lol: I'm happy to answer questions if there's something you want to know that I didn't answer.

It all depends on the type of twin pregnancy it is- 2 placentas or not; and if 1 placenta, does each baby have a separate sac or not? It is very important to have an u/s as early as possible so you can know what type of twins. If you wait until later, the 2 placentas can fuse together and look like 1, which would mean you have more risks/interventions than you otherwise would. If you only have 1 placenta, the risks go up substantially because of twins possibly receiving unequal nutrition and, if mo/mo, becoming tangled.

Your calorie requirements would be higher and you'll want to put weight on quickly because of the risk of preterm birth. You have a higher risk of preterm birth and bigger babies will do better in the NICU. The only difference between my twin pregnancy and singletons was that I had non stress tests and a few more ultrasounds, but my OB was very crunchy/low intervention. You should be able to deliver vaginally if Baby A is head down but they usually like to have you in the OR in case something happens mid-birth. I was able to deliver without an epidural but it was against medical advice. I know people have homebirthed twins but I've heard way too many moms of multiples who had scary birth stories and one baby vaginal and one surgical to be comfortable with that myself.

I had mono/mono twins. The last 2 months of pregnancy were spent in hospital. The hooked me to monitors twice daily to get a good read on their heartbeats. I had ultrasounds 2-3X a week. They took the twins at 34 weeks. They were in NICU for 4 weeks. Natural was not an option.

Have you used the search feature for this forum? We've had lots of threads you'd probably enjoy, try a search with the term "twins."

You will be more closely monitored; much will depend on your doc's preferred protocol and your individual circumstances.

You've gotten lots of great advice already in this thread, I would just add that you may want to start a practice of lying down on your left side for about ten minutes every few hours, with increasing frequency as the pregnancy progresses. Do anticipate the possibility of bedrest in the last trimester. I was on full bedrest for six weeks. It took extra help since I also had a two year old. Think about how you'd handle that.

Assign the vacuuming to someone else in the house. From this moment forward, you do not touch the vacuum cleaner. I am not joking.

Also, you know those pains you get low in the abdomen from the stretching of ligaments as your uterus expands? Brace yourself - that is pretty brutal with multiples. (Sorry! But it's true.)

I hope you learn definitely very soon how many babes you're carrying. It's very exciting!

Edited by AuntieM

Thank you all for responding. I really appreciate your input.

It all depends on the type of twin pregnancy it is- 2 placentas or not; and if 1 placenta, does each baby have a separate sac or not? It is very important to have an u/s as early as possible so you can know what type of twins. If you wait until later, the 2 placentas can fuse together and look like 1, which would mean you have more risks/interventions than you otherwise would. If you only have 1 placenta, the risks go up substantially because of twins possibly receiving unequal nutrition and, if mo/mo, becoming tangled.

This is very helpful. I was really wavering about whether I should schedule the ultrasound as soon as I can or put it off for a bit longer, but clearly it's probably not a good idea to wait.

I am about 9 weeks along right now and have been having terrible morning sickness, extreme fatigue and have gained several pounds already - I already have moved up a few pants sizes and have a definite belly! Plus I am experiencing lots of hip/pelvic soreness which I didn't expect until much later. Very different from my other pregnancies. I know every pregnancy can be different, but twins would certainly explain why this time everything seems so exaggerated. I am excited to find out for sure. I am even hoping that it is twins (although the idea is slightly terrifying as well!)

High risk pregnancy is very real. when pg with our twins, I remember reading books on twins. One covered the premature birth of twins and when I saw the book was 13 years old or so at the time, I kind of blew off the concerns about multiples being high risk.

At 26 weeks my water broke and I was sent by ambulance to a larger hospital. I was in high risk ob for 3 weeks before they were born. It was quite an emotional journey from beginning to end.

Do not underestimate the reality of a pregnancy with multiples being high risk! Take care of yourself as best you can. Rest when you need to. I was so tired and exhausted all the time when pg with the boys and wish I would have put myself on bed rest!

Bet of luck!

No twins here but my doctors were always convinced I was carrying multiples early on. I had early ultrasounds each time because I was "too big to have just one in there". Nope, just a singleton each time. I just like to give my bambinos lots of square-footage I guess.

I had horrible morning sickness and was really fatigued as well. I had an ultrasound around 6 weeks (2 miscarriages prior to this pregnancy), and I specifically asked if there were twins in there. "Nope, just one." I didn't find out about the twins, which I had suspected, until 18 weeks when I went for amnio. Clear as day, two heads! My husband right there said, "Wow, we hit the lottery." We were very excited.

When you find out for sure let us know.

:iagree: Yes, yes, yes! And, if you are pregnant with twins, read it as early as possible in your pregnancy. One of her main points is that you have to grow those babies as much as possible before you get so pregnant that it's uncomfortable to eat.

I credit that book with helping me get to 37 weeks with twins, each of whom were over 7 pounds at birth. No NICU time at all!

It is very important to have an u/s as early as possible so you can know what type of twins.

:iagree: I was fortunate to have an u/s at 4 or 5 weeks bec. of cramping. It showed that mine were monochorionic/diamniotic. A week or two later, it probably wouldn't have been clear.

How far along are you? If you're not far, I'd ask to move up the u/s appointment.

The other thing I found was that not all OB's are that knowledgeable about twins. (How is that possible?) You may know more about twin pregnancy after reading Luke's book than your OB. I gave my OB a copy of the Luke book after my twins were delivered. Hoped he might recommend it to other women carrying twins. He was fantastic and very experienced, but pregnancy with multiples is Luke's specialty & passion.

My twin pregnancy was mostly like my singleton pregnancy. You have a lot more appts, and delivery day is very exciting, but for the most part I was lucky. I delivered by csection at 38.5 weeks after being induced. Dr didn't want me pg past 38 weeks.

The one thing I would say is prepare yourself for the possibility of a c/section. I tried to go med free, but baby a started descending face first instead of head first, so emergency c/section under general anesthesia. I had birthed my other son v*ginally, so I assumed I would do the same with the twins. It's not a definite, but the possibility is greater.

Do not underestimate the reality of a pregnancy with multiples being high risk!
This. I underestimated it given the fact that my twin pregnancy was my easiest pregnancy - unbelievably easy! - until 31w2d when my water broke. I was annoyed by my OB and anyone else who even suggested that a twin pregnancy was different than a singleton or tried to share with me some of the possibilities that could happen. Those things happened to other twin moms-to-be, not me. Oops. I should have listened, I should have at least read some books and prepared myself for the could-happens.

:iagree: I was fortunate to have an u/s at 4 or 5 weeks bec. of cramping. It showed that mine were monochorionic/diamniotic. A week or two later, it probably wouldn't have been clear.

How far along are you? If you're not far, I'd ask to move up the u/s appointment.

I am currently 9 weeks. I rescheduled the u/s for next Tuesday, so at that point I'll be 10 weeks.

Assign the vacuuming to someone else in the house. From this moment forward, you do not touch the vacuum cleaner. I am not joking.

May I ask why? (sorry if it's a dumb question, but I never even gave it a second thought with my other pregnancies and I havent been advised not to before). The question is weighing on my mind because the living room desperately needs vaccumed today!! :tongue_smilie:

May I ask why? (sorry if it's a dumb question, but I never even gave it a second thought with my other pregnancies and I havent been advised not to before). The question is weighing on my mind because the living room desperately needs vaccumed today!! :tongue_smilie:

As soon as I learned I was expecting twins, I started doing a lot of reading. I read about multiples, I read about high risk pregnancies, I read about preventing miscarriages....the no vacuuming advice was reiterated everywhere! I wish I could quote an answer for you, but to the best of me recollection it involves the wicked combination of twisting, exerting force to push and pull, and perhaps being in contact with a vibrating machine.

Also, a number of women I know who have had abdominal procedures (hysterectomy, gall bladder, etc) were instructed to not lift ten pounds and avoid vacuuming in the weeks following the surgery.

I didn't mean to scare you! Sorry! But really, it won't hurt to pass off that one chore, especially if your u/s reveals you to be carrying a pair. :D

I never heard the no vacuuming rule before! I went thru my entire twin pregnancy oblivious.

I so agree with the twins/high risk is no joke.

I had no idea I was carrying twins. I found out at my fourteen week ultrasound which actually was my first one because of all the crazy weather last year. My appointments kept getting changed due to ice.

My twin pregnancy was very easy and "good" as far as twin pregnancies go. As far as pregnancy in general- it was very, very challenging once I hit the end of the second and the third trimester.

My twins are numbers 7 and 8 so I thought I "knew" pregnancy and I also have had 6 natural, textbook, fast, uncomplicated births before the twins.

I ended up with pre-eclampsia, a c-section, and I carried them 40 weeks 1 day. Incredible. I could hardly walk and my blood pressure was thru the roof and the heartburn! I still have residual issues from it.

Anyway- I was very, very, very hungry my first trimester and also very tired- but in truth, I was sicker with my three year old son and had a more difficult time than I did with my twins.

I hope you get the news that you desire!

Rebecca

Another BIG vote for this book! Our twins (now 4yo) were due to IVF. Our RE recommended the book. Gaining weight with twins is very different from gaining weight with a singleton.

I was sick through the entire pregnancy, so much that I had to take Zofran.

I was induced at 37.5 weeks (considered the safest time to deliver twins). I wanted the delivery to be all-natural, but my Ob/Gyn explained that if we had to do an emergency c-section, I'd have to go under general anesthesia. I wanted to be awake, even for a c-section, so I opted for the epidural.

As it turned out, the babies' heart rates started declining with each contraction. I could see the looks of worry on everyone's faces, and the doctor instructed the anesthesiologist to start upping the meds. Fortunately, they were able to pull the babies out with forceps, but I wasn't far from needing a c-section.

The babies were just over 6 lbs. each, and they went home with me. I couldn't have asked for more.

I'm curious as to why twins are suspected at this point? I'm not asking to be rude, I'm not sure what the various early signs would be.:)

When I was pregnant with my second a retired ob-gyn who I met around the 5 month point asked if I was sure I wasn't having twins based on my very large for that stage belly. I'd already had the ultrasound--there was just one baby but I was all belly and he was on his way to becoming a 10 lb-5 ounce by delivery.

Another plug for Barbara Luke's book ~ I followed it and carried triplets to 35 weeks with no hospital time previous to delivery and no NICU time for them. They weighed 5.14, 5, and 4.5.

Can't wait to find out if you'll be a multiple mama. :001_smile:

Julie

Can't wait until you find out :-)!

My only pregnancy was with fraternal twin boys. Mine were IVF so we had ultrasounds from very early on. The risks are different for everyone -- depends on the mother's health, type of twins they are having, etc. I had a fairly easy pregnancy for twins. I was an older mom -- 37 while pg -- and went on voluntary bedrest at home at 24 weeks. I was diagnosed with placenta previa around 3 months and could not lift anything over 5 lbs from then on. I went on to have my boys (scheduled c-section) at 37.5 weeks. Boys were 6 lbs 6 oz and 7 lbs 8 oz at birth -- no NICU time. We were very fortunate.

I have several friends with twins and triplets that had fairly normal births. I have one friend that had identical twins at 26 weeks. Both mother and boys were in danger. They are all doing great -- the boys are now 7.

Please keep us posted!

I requested the book you've all recommended from the library, so I should have it in a couple days. Thank you.

I'm curious as to why twins are suspected at this point? I'm not asking to be rude, I'm not sure what the various early signs would be.:)

I guess I forgot to mention why they suspect twins! sorry :blushing:

I had my blood drawn on the day of my first appointment last week, and my hcg levels were really high, so that's why she ordered the u/s. From what I understand higher levels of hcg can either indicate twins, or that the pregnancy is farther along than previously thought. I'm pretty sure (as in 99.9%) that I know when I conceived because I've always kept careful track, so I don't think the dates are off by more than a day or two.

Sheesh! I don't know how I'll be able to stand another whole week without confirmation either way! This "what if" is driving me bonkers! :willy_nilly: I will be sure to keep you all posted on the results!

Edited by Mrs. A

My twins were the result of IVF, and I knew very early on that I was expecting multiples because of the high hcg levels. My advice would be to get everything prepared -- babys' room, crib, etc early on because you could deliver early or go on bedrest. I was on bedrest for 8 weeks, and delivered at 35 weeks.

Good luck -- if it is twins it will be an exciting ride no matter what!!

My HCG's were very high too. Dr. Luke's book is quite good and I'd recommend it but it can also feel high pressure/overwhelming so if you get it do keep it in perspective. The truth of the matter is multiple pregnancy after previous pregnancies are, generally, lower risk. Your body is used to carrying babies and the babies should have more growth room if I understand correctly. I know that this isn't your first pregnancy makes multiples lower risk.

You should be able to have a natural birth with twins if they are lined up well. Some doctors will want you to labor with a line in place to give spinal anesthesia quickly if needed. I was told if I didn't have that in and we had an emergency they would have to put me completely under. Twin babies are more likely to line up poorly (transverse, breech, etc). Many doctors seem to be ok as long as baby A on the bottom is in position and some are fine if A is at least breech. Transverse baby A would, of course, be a problem for natural birth.

Twin newborn/baby stage was exhausting/very hard here but I'd think it might have been easier if they weren't my first babies altogether. It's always amazed me that my boys have "always" had each other. Twins are a blessing.

I am currently 9 weeks. I rescheduled the u/s for next Tuesday, so at that point I'll be 10 weeks.

Well you and I will get a baby count on the same day. We always get an early ultrasound check because twins run on the maternal side of my family so there is a decent chance I could be pregnant with twins. My grandmother looked at me two weeks ago and said its twins:001_huh:! She tends to be right. She and my mother both looked at me and told me what I was carrying the first two times. She made sure to emphasize how many were in there each of the previous times (just one). I should have my ultrasound around 3 next Tuesday. Very nervous over here lol.

I had my ultrasound today and it's not twins. But i was measuring 12 weeks rather than 10, so i guess its a big one! In a way that's a relief because I know how to handle one newborn. Two would have been a whole different ball game! But part of me was looking forward to that possibility.

Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond to my questions. I feel like if it had indeed been twins, I would have been well prepared to take the next step thanks to all of you. :).

Well you and I will get a baby count on the same day. We always get an early ultrasound check because twins run on the maternal side of my family so there is a decent chance I could be pregnant with twins. My grandmother looked at me two weeks ago and said its twins! She tends to be right. She and my mother both looked at me and told me what I was carrying the first two times. She made sure to emphasize how many were in there each of the previous times (just one). I should have my ultrasound around 3 next Tuesday. Very nervous over here lol.

How did things turn out for you? Is it twins?

I had my ultrasound today and it's not twins. But i was measuring 12 weeks rather than 10, so i guess its a big one! In a way that's a relief because I know how to handle one newborn. Two would have been a whole different ball game! But part of me was looking forward to that possibility.

Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond to my questions. I feel like if it had indeed been twins, I would have been well prepared to take the next step thanks to all of you. :).

I am happy you got the resolution that felt most comfortable with. Wow, that came out really PC. LOL

How about :party: its a healthy baby! :D That sounds more like what I mean.

My sister has 2 sets of twins. Both pregnancies were considered high risk. The first two, now 6yo, were born at 32 weeks after her water broke with one and she'd spent 3 weeks in the hospital trying to hold them off. They spent quite a bit of time in the NICU. Her second set, now 1yo, were born "full term" at 37 weeks and went right home with Momma.

When I was carrying my twins, I followed the diet in the Bradley book closely, keeping track to make sure I had enough protein, etc. every day. I ended up with 7.6 and 8.7 pound twins - nine days late. PS - I started out 112 lbs, 5'1".

I had no other kids the, so when I was getting back pain halfway through I was able to follow the doctor's orders and go on bed, er, couch rest for the next several months. I was also on a half pill of Clomid.

My baby count has been postponed. I have not made it back home from vacation due to financial constraints. We head home around 11pm CST tomorrow and should be home Friday evening. Baby count appointment is now set for a week from today!

CONGRATS!!!

You are blessed to be having a baby or 2!

I am absolutely into natural birthing as well! But with 2 I am sure I would be going to the OB or Midwife more often to check blood sugar, blood pressure, heart beats, and all sorts of other things that are more commom in multiples.

MY step daughter recently had to have an emergency C- Section and barely made it in the snow to the Hospital up north of us.. so we are just glad they made it... one of her boys was fine and suddenly quit breathing, so it was great that he was still in the hospital and stayed a few more days... they are doing great now!!!!!

My mom had toxemia with my twin and I and being so long ago, they did not even do ultrasounds, told her she was having a big boy, and while in labor.... oh, another baby girl is coming!!! She had my identical sister and I. I think she was on bedrest for at least 1 month and we were a little early, and still big ( 6.8 & 7.2) So as long as the babies are developed, it is ok to come a little early usually.