Menu

I so need a "like" button!

Thanks Lori!

That post was back in the old days before we had a like button. Today I got to like it :). At the time, I copied it into a file and checked it about once a year to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I still have that file on my computer after graduating both my kids. Our path didn't always follow the suggestions, but having that list to check against and make sure I had my bases covered was reassuring. 

Thanks again Lori. :)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Lori,

I think it would be worth revising the timeline to push back the month for registering for PSAT and AP exams.  

Maybe an entry in April/May to contact schools to find out the registration process for the PSAT that fall.

I would put the initial steps for finding an AP test seat in November for the May exams.  Schools may tell you to contact them again later, but at least you know if you've gotten definitive no's vs maybe's and yes's.

It might also be worth adding info on the PSAT 10 exam, which is now often offered in the spring to students younger than 11th grade.

• Like 3

Lori,

I think it would be worth revising the timeline to push back the month for registering for PSAT and AP exams.  

Maybe an entry in April/May to contact schools to find out the registration process for the PSAT that fall.

I would put the initial steps for finding an AP test seat in November for the May exams.  Schools may tell you to contact them again later, but at least you know if you've gotten definitive no's vs maybe's and yes's.

It might also be worth adding info on the PSAT 10 exam, which is now often offered in the spring to students younger than 11th grade.

Thanks Sebastian. :)

Back in July I had already added the PSAT 8/9 and PSAT 10 info, and had the grade 10 April/May date for initiating contact with a school for the grade 11 PSAT. I'll add the additional dates for double-checking on AP tests. :)

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Thank you so much Lori. Now I understand why this group is thriving. Because of people like you, of course! 

I love scheduling. It gives me comfort and illusion that I am in control here. :driving: You just gave the mother lode of schedule for my high school planner!

I might add that if your junior wants to try out competitive summer camps, it should be done in Nov. or latest Dec. There was time that I found out this really nice summer camp in Feb, and it turned out the due date is only 3 days away and there are 5 long essays to write. :closedeyes:

• Like 2

I would amend or simply add to the 12th grade time table, based on our recent experience:

Summer before 12th grade:

Visit colleges of interest and plan on interviewing with admissions counselors as many colleges require interviews of homeschool applicants.

Take current copies of transcripts to interviews (with planned 12th grade courses listed). Also take a one page resume that highlights extra curricular activities.

Write thank you notes to the admissions rep who conducted the interview.

Mom needs to start writing drafts of the homeschool supplement section for the common app as well as considering the guidance counselor section. Have friends proofread for you!

Some kids start their essays now, others, like mine wait until the week of the deadline....

Fall of 12th grade year:

Finalize your list of colleges, and be sure to have a "safety" or two (schools that are a shoe-in for admission or have terrific financial aid) on that list.

Check application deadlines. Many colleges have early action deadlines starting November 1, some have rolling deadlines and it is nice to get an admission decision before Christmas, even if it is just a "safety". Some schools give early applications more time and consideration as they aren't buried under the avalanche of regular deadline applications.

Set up interviews for colleges you didn't visit. Many admissions reps visit major cities or send alumni to interview prospective students.

Spring of 12th grade year:

Many colleges want the FAFSA submitted by February 1 even with tentative numbers. You can go back and change numbers after you've completed your taxes.

JennW is there a schedule like this for Mom's.

I need to start a list of resource on what the homeschool parent needs to get done. IE counselor letter, homeschool philosophy and type of cover letter and what should be included. Hoping to finish all of that this summer so its ready to go in August of senior year.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2017 at 9:24 PM, workingmom said:

JennW is there a schedule like this for Mom's.

I need to start a list of resource on what the homeschool parent needs to get done. IE counselor letter, homeschool philosophy and type of cover letter and what should be included. Hoping to finish all of that this summer so its ready to go in August of senior year.

Not JennW, but the opening date for FAFSA and early application deadline for some colleges are even earlier than when this thread was started -- which means it's a good idea to have the bulk of your administrative things pulled together and completed as much as possible by the start of your student's 12th grade year. I have updated the timetable a number of times since starting this thread to keep this schedule for parents (and students) current. ?

As for a list for applying for college -- things you'll need to pull together:

- Social Security numbers
- financial records (primarily parent and student tax returns from previous year, and list of parent and student assets and $$ in accounts)
- access your test site account(s) and pay to have test scores sent to colleges you will be applying to (if you did not already do so at the time of testing)
- course description document
- your official homeschool transcript
- counselor letter and school philosophy
- student application essay (if required)
- official transcripts from any high school or college/university attended by the student
(you do NOT need transcripts from online providers of high school courses, but you DO need transcripts if your student was enrolled at a private/public/charter high school, or a community college/university or other post-secondary school)
- letters of recommendation from outside-the-home advisors, instructors, etc.
- list of extracurriculars, volunteering, awards & honors, etc.

For your own records, keep a list of tests/scores (PSAT, SAT Reasoning, ACT, SAT Subject Tests, AP, CLEP) to make sure you remember to send scores to colleges that might have been added to the list for applying to after the tests were taken in earlier years and scores already sent out at that time.

Oct 1st = FAFSA now open
- create an account -- need Social Security number

Some schools have early admission deadlines as early as Oct. 15, Nov. 1, Nov. 15, Dec. 1, or Dec. 15 -- all of which come in the Fall semester of 12th grade. So if you need an ACT/SAT score for applying, be sure to take a test in 11th grade, or no later than  September ACT or October SAT to ensure having a score to send for applying.

Edited by Lori D.

• 5 months later...

Okay, to help alleviate the anxiety level of having to be your student's high school counselor/administrator, I've compiled a list of the deadlines/dates I could think of to create a general high school "time table". I know I have forgotten some things; hopefully others will add to this list as they remember things I forgot to include. smile.gif Not on the list, of course, are your student's specific deadlines and dates for sports, arts performances, extracurriculars, etc. But, hope this helps! Warmest regards to all, Lori D.

ETA: Each family's time table will be different!! NO one will be doing ALL of these, or necessarily at the times listed! The intent of this time table is to be a SUGGESTION. And even the best-laid plans can change during your high school years, so BE FLEXIBLE. :)

UPDATED: July 2016

Thank you so much!!  I just stumbled upon this thread and am so glad I did.  My oldest is starting 8th and I'm realizing how much I have to learn, so this is great.  Thank you! :hurray:

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I think I would add that either in the spring of junior year or over the summer before senior year, those considering Service Academies or ROTC scholarships begin preparing their packets, seeking nominations, and contacting the appropriate recruiters.  Some of these groups begin the selection process as early as late August or September. 

Also, if you have college students that are interested in summer internships, the application process frequently begins a year in advance.  They may want to look for applications and deadlines after graduation for the following year.