Menu

Quick - another Would You Eat It thread

I put chicken breasts in the crock pot and covered them with cold (refrigerated) chicken broth. Two and a half hours later, I realized that I didn't plug the crock pot in (however the coffee grinder was plugged in:rolleyes:). I checked the chicken and it was 60 degrees. Would you still cook and eat it?

Was the chicken frozen, partially frozen, refrigerator-temperature, or room temperature when you started? (I'm trying to figure out how long they have been at 60 degrees.) If they were super-cold when you started and the broth was cold, and the crock pot was covered, I would think the chicken hasn't been too warm for very long, so it would probably be OK to eat it. I would definitely get it hot very quickly, though -- I'd use a high temp on the crock pot so it heats through faster than usual.

BTW, since you plugged in the coffee grinder, you know it's safe to eat that. ;)

BTW, since you plugged in the coffee grinder, you know it's safe to eat that. ;)

:lol:

The chicken was very cold. I had just purchased it from the store and it had a 20 minute ride in the trunk of my very cold car (it's in the 30s). I immediately put the chicken in the crock pot, poured refrigerated chicken broth on it and covered it upon returning home.

:lol:

The chicken was very cold. I had just purchased it from the store and it had a 20 minute ride in the trunk of my very cold car (it's in the 30s). I immediately put the chicken in the crock pot, poured refrigerated chicken broth on it and covered it upon returning home.

I'd eat it. Just make sure that it gets cooked thoroughly.

I'm sure it's fine. Just get it up to the internal 165 degree temperature fairly quickly if you can.

If it had been sitting out on the counter at room temperature (not in the cold broth) the whole time, I would have tossed it, but things stay pretty cold in the crock pot, and both the chicken and the broth were very cold when you put them in there, so I really think it's safe to cook and eat it.