Menu

Sent dh to get printer ink refills & he comes home with....

....a brand new printer. We have a Lexmark printer/copier/scanner from Walmart that was around $30.00. The refills cost $42.97 for a twin pack (b&w & a color). I've been needing printer ink for months but we couldn't afford it. So, with out tax return I said, "We need ink!" Anyway, he came home with a Canon printer/copier/scanner (he thought our Lexmark was just a printer) for $29.00 that included ink already. I just looked at the Walmart website and it looks like the Canon refills would be about $33.42 for b&w & a color. I was telling my oldest dd this and she says, "Yeah. That's what everybody is doing. When they run out of ink they just buy a whole new printer with the ink in it and sell their old printer." Really? I had no idea. So...where is the logic behind these printer companies (why do the refills cost more than a new printer with ink)?? I don't think selling a used printer would really work...since a buyer is going to have to pay more to buy refill ink then it would be for them to buy a new printer with ink themselves. So.....you'd think if "everybody" (I don't really know who everybody is) is doing this....there'd be a huge amount of barely used printers either collecting dust or being thrown in the garbage. Seems like such a waste of printers. I know I tend to overanalyze things too much.....but, goodness.

Clark Howard has a podcast about this. They drop the price of the printer and mark up the ink. Everything equals out for them apparently. I will say, last week I replaced an Epson office series with a Lexmark office series because I would save about $10 a refill on ink.

The printers I've bought in the past come with far less ink in the cartridges than normal, so to me it's not worth it to buy a new printer every time we run out of ink.

:iagree: The last printer I bought was around $100 (on sale) and the black high-capacity refills (which print 50% more than the regular) are only $19 at Target.

The printers I've bought in the past come with far less ink in the cartridges than normal, so to me it's not worth it to buy a new printer every time we run out of ink.

:iagree: most times, but not always. You can also look into ink refill places. It can be much cheaper there. We did have on printer go bad right after we bought a knock-off ink cartridge, so we don't know if it caused it or not. But, if we were going to go buy a new one anyways, I would just try one of the $10 refill places until our printer went bad. LOL

My dh did that a couple of years ago. We had an old HP printer, huge thing, it cost 75.00 to buy ink, but it would last forever. HOwever we needed a cord for our laptops, which was going to be another 75.00. So he bought a HP wireless with ink in it for 150.00. It still works great. Ink is not bad, still cheaper than replacing it, plus my dad has sort of taken upon himself to make sure we have black ink and paper. We gave away the old HP, but we have another smaller printer in the basement, dh uses it.

I have a 19yr old LaserJet 4... I call her my "dinosaur", however when I went looking at all the fancy schmancy new multi-function printers, I just couldn't be convinced to give 'er up. It took me 5 YEARS to even need to replace my toner!!! Course it helps that hubby's a certified pc/printer tech too ;)

I've heard the same from my husband (about buying the new printer instead of ink), but the hassle of setting up a new printer each time is mind boggling.

Costco (or at least, our Costco) has started doing ink refills in house for about $8 each. Is there anything they can't do? I ♥ them.

The ink cartridges that come in new computers are not full. They are basically only samples and you need to buy new cartridges soon after getting a new printer. The cartridges for my computer cost about $15. I tried getting them refilled at one of those cartridge stores and it definitely did not last as long. :glare:

My printer is so old that I could not find a driver to get it to work correctly with my new computer. The print function works but the scan does not. My hubby bought a new one and I hated it. I relegated it to the downstairs for the kids to use for homework. Apparently they don't like it either because they still come in my room to print.