Menu

So this came from a homeschool resource??

ok, yes, it was gruesome, but how was it racist?

You would have had to go through the links and look at some of the other problems. For example:

Homeschool Fun: Printable Math Worksheets

Third Grade Math Problem 2

My 3 friends and I were caught and tied up by 1023 screaming cannibals in a jungle last night. Soon we were feeling terribly itchy because of the mosquitoes. We begged the cannibals to scratch us. 219 cannibals refused because they were busy cutting vegetables. The rest of them, however, surrounded us in equal numbers and began to scratch us with their teeth, just like dogs. It felt good! How many cannibals scratched me?

You would have had to go through the links and look at some of the other problems. For example:

Homeschool Fun: Printable Math Worksheets

Third Grade Math Problem 2

My 3 friends and I were caught and tied up by 1023 screaming cannibals in a jungle last night. Soon we were feeling terribly itchy because of the mosquitoes. We begged the cannibals to scratch us. 219 cannibals refused because they were busy cutting vegetables. The rest of them, however, surrounded us in equal numbers and began to scratch us with their teeth, just like dogs. It felt good! How many cannibals scratched me?

I didn't read the article but I can really see a 3rd grader getting a kick out of the about question.

And you don't think it might be racially problematic to have the jungle dwellers be cannibals and to scratch with their teeth like dogs?

Cannibals could be any color; people living in a jungle could be any color - I don't see this as a racial thing. I had an aunt who lived in a South American jungle for a while, she's white.

Cannibals could be any color; people living in a jungle could be any color - I don't see this as a racial thing. I had an aunt who lived in a South American jungle for a while, she's white.

But, she is not an indigenous person to that climate. She is not what most people would think of in context.

And you don't think it might be racially problematic to have the jungle dwellers be cannibals and to scratch with their teeth like dogs?

I hope you're kidding. If not, wouldn't that be a hasty generalization? The problem states: "My 3 friends and I were caught and tied up by 1023 screaming cannibals in a jungle last night." It does not state that all jungle dwellers are cannibals.

I hope you're kidding. If not, wouldn't that be a hasty generalization? The problem states: "My 3 friends and I were caught and tied up by 1023 screaming cannibals in a jungle last night." It does not state that all jungle dwellers are cannibals.

After this story?

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/parents-outraged-homework-references-slavery-beatings-145000547.html

Where students had to answer questions like these:

• Each tree had 56 oranges. If 8 slaves pick them equally, then how much would each slave pick?

• Frederick had 6 baskets filled with cotton. If each basket held 5 pounds, how many pounds did he have all together?

• If Frederick got two beatings per day, how many beatings did he get in 1 week? 2 weeks?

No, I'm definitely not kidding.

Nope. I don't picture cannibals as any race. I just imagine crazy people in masks. I assume my kids are doing the same but maybe not. Even if they are picturing a certain race, do I think that will harm them or make them racist?? Nope. They'll just think it is funny.

I read some, not all, of the word problems that the website put on there. Eww.. I get they are trying to catch the kids attention, by having the subjects of eating maggots (yuck), and throwing temper tantrums in word problems. It isn't the way I would want to get my kids to do math. :( It just doesn't sit well with me, but I'm a really sensitive person.