Menu

Direction for possible future careers please?

FourOaks

Might any of you lovely, well-informed ladies be willing to help me help guide my daughter as we begin to attempt to figure out where her true interest/giftings lie?

At the beginning of this year I thought that it was looking as though she would be leaning the STEM direction. She immediately ruled out anything related to bodily functions or animals and it's now becoming more clear that she's probably NOT going the STEM route. Although math has always come easy to her and she does well in the math/science area, she is finding that she doesn't particularly care for it.

These are the areas that DO fascinate her and that she is just chomping at the bit to dig deeper in:

Graphic Design

Animation

Web Design

Computer Programming

Architecture

Game Programming

Cartooning

She is creative and can draw very well -- based on the limited instruction she has had and taught herself. She is very self-motivated and has taught herself (with some simple homeschool curriculums or online stuff) some basic programming, game design, graphics, web design, etc. She currently has about 25 books checked out from the library focussing on several of the topics listed above -- and reads them cover to cover.

How can I find classes, curriculums, programs and what not to get her in that will help her to really get her feet wet in their areas to find out if indeed it is what she thinks she may want to pursue as a career? I read every single post on the boards regarding all of these areas, but still have yet to really nail down any specific courses/classes or curriculums.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

TIA

Has she taken any online courses? Has she taken any CC courses, this can defintely get her feet wet and could possibly help with her career choice. I plan on doing the same thing, I am good with numbers (not anything like algebra, but arthimetic and statistics) but I prefer History, and that doesn't leave me with a lot of options. History is my passion, but I know it may not get me a good job. Accounting I like, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

So I have devised a plan that will require me to take CC courses in Accounting and History and see which one I may prefer. Who knows? Maybe both?

But I'd advise your daughter to take some CC courses in her preferred field of study, and maybe shadow a company that has all that she might want?

HTH, and good luck!:)

I agree with above and ....How about a summer program in one of those areas. My nephew did a summer thing at Cornell between Sophomore and Jr year of high school in architecture. He also draws quite well and has done some animation but, his summer program sealed the deal on architecture as his career for him. He goes to RPI and is loving it. I'm not sure what part of the country you are from but, he looked into several summer programs in the NE before deciding. You might also take a look at college curricula in the subjects to see what the pre-requisites might be. If there are any schools or colleges of art close to you, your dd might be able to take evening or week-end classes there.

I agree with above and ....How about a summer program in one of those areas. My nephew did a summer thing at Cornell between Sophomore and Jr year of high school in architecture. He also draws quite well and has done some animation but, his summer program sealed the deal on architecture as his career for him. He goes to RPI and is loving it. I'm not sure what part of the country you are from but, he looked into several summer programs in the NE before deciding. You might also take a look at college curricula in the subjects to see what the pre-requisites might be. If there are any schools or colleges of art close to you, your dd might be able to take evening or week-end classes there.

Yes, many are very pricey, but I think they are a bargain if it rules out something! My ds thought he might want to do something computer-related at one point in his life. One summer program doing computer-y stuff made him rule it out completely.

Ydacs:

http://www.ydacs.com/

Homeschool Programming curriculum:

http://www.homeschoolprogramming.com/

Has she ever looked into CAD (computer aided design)?

Are you near a community college where she could take classes? Our CC holds interest and job fairs in STEM fields.

Also, she could research companies in your area who employ people in her areas of interest. They could be contacted for job shadowing, etc. We have a small game company near us and they set up a presentation and Q&A session for local homeschoolers (at the request of one of the homeschooling moms).

DS will likely go into a STEM field and he has almost zero interest in Biology. Plenty of options out there still.

• 3 months later...

From your description, it sounds like your daughter is a perfect fit for a career in graphic design or programming. A degree in programming may entail some courses in math, so make sure she doesn’t lose interest half-way in to the program. A graphic design degree will include coursework in design fundamentals, tools, applications, etc. It will be just the kind of program to morph her raw talent into a marketable skill. But finally, it’s she who has to take a call on which program will work best for her.

DS will likely go into a STEM field and he has almost zero interest in Biology. Plenty of options out there still.

:iagree:

My dd wants to major in chemical engineering, and she's also really interested in materials engineering.

Has your daughter considered engineering? She might be interested in computer science engineering (that's what my husband's degree is in).

:iagree:

My dd wants to major in chemical engineering, and she's also really interested in materials engineering.

Has your daughter considered engineering? She might be interested in computer science engineering (that's what my husband's degree is in).

I have a Ph.D. (and MS and BS) in materials engineering. If your dd wants someone to email with, I would be glad to chat with her.

I have a Ph.D. (and MS and BS) in materials engineering. If your dd wants someone to email with, I would be glad to chat with her.

My kids and I are very interesting in hearing what kind of work you do as a Ph.D. level materials engineer. DS shadowed a materials engineer (BS level) who showed the students a project involving figuring out why paint was chipping off certain structures. DS is still curious about other types of jobs in this field.

• 2 weeks later...

OP's child sounds like my daughter. Here's some architecture summer programs which an architect friend told us about.:

http://www.aia.org/education/AIAS075245

She gave us another link but that does not seem to be working. I live in the NE so the Manhattan branch of the AIA has summer programs also. It's called the Center for Architecture.

I've looked through some of the programs and they are not all limited to Architecture. Since many architecture majors are under the arts department, there are also arts-oriented programs.

I have my son signed up at TPS in an architecture course- I did not know they had one until recently. The course gives you a 13 month subscptn to CADD which from what I have heard is the premier software used in Architecture and I believe Mechanical drawing.

TPS has two courses using CADD and the teacher correspondence is very intriguing and he sounds wonderful. We signed up to start this fall based on a friends ds who took the other course this past year and loved it. They will build amazing things using the software which should help them know if they love that kind of thing or not.

Kathy