Menu

Shoe fashion advice, please!

I need help. I am waaaaaaaaay out of touch with fashion especially when it comes to warmer clothes! While we've visited the US and New Zealand (where dh is from) not too long ago, it's been 3 years since I've been in a first world nation during the cold months, so I have no idea what's 'in'!

We'll be spending 6 months in New Zealand soon and arriving when it's quite chilly during their winter. I will need warm feet and shoes that handle rain OK. While I don't like to spend large amounts of money on clothes, I'm willing to spend a bit more on shoes because of plantar faciitis. But because of that I usually don't own many pairs of shoes at the same time. I also don't want to wait until we get there because I will be cold right away and I can order shoes from the US with shipping for less than you can find the same quality shoes in NZ.

So here's the deal. I want one pair of shoes that I can wear all the time with jeans and dress pants that will be cute, comfortable, maybe a little bit fun, etc. What do you all think of these?

http://www.amazon.com/Klogs-Womens-Austin-Open-Black/dp/B002NY8O7C/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2QAI14Q1GHP69&colid=3EID5XRRI36CQ

I like the black oil because they seem the most versatile, but could probably be talked into something more fun as well. Are these still considered cute?????

I would appreciate possible other suggestions, too!!!!! My feet are in your hands..........:001_smile:

Edited by Bula Mama

I have almost no fashion sense, but I've spent most of my life in Oregon and Vermont and personally I do not like open-back shoes in the rain.

Hum, possibly good advice. I've spent the last 18 years of my life mostly in places where I wore slip on sandals, so the idea of a shoe with a back doesn't sound very comfortable to me!

Hum, possibly good advice. I've spent the last 18 years of my life mostly in places where I wore slip on sandals so the idea of a shoe with a back doesn't sound nearly as comfortable to me!

I don't like wet socks. :tongue_smilie:

But, I hope you get lots of other advice even I don't even make fashion choices based on my opinion alone. :D

You can wear whatever you like. If you feel stylish in it, then you will be stylish.

Clogs have been inching back into style but they scream 90's to me and I just don't like the look of them (open back, closed toe). Ditto what Melinda said about clogs and rain. I think you'd be better off with some cute boots.

You can wear whatever you like. If you feel stylish in it, then you will be stylish.

Clogs have been inching back into style but they scream 90's to me and I just don't like the look of them (open back, closed toe). Ditto what Melinda said about clogs and rain. I think you'd be better off with some cute boots.

I LOVE boots but it's not actually THAT cold in NZ (North Island), just chilly for a long time. Maybe just short boots........?

Could you wear those with semi dress pants, too? They are pretty cute! So they have pretty good arch support?

For me, Merrrells fit perfect. I have long, narrow feet with high arches. They are one of the few shoes I have been able to wear every single time. Ahnu is another brand I have had good luck with.

If you wear black dress pants, I would go with the black ones. This style is very common for casual/dress shoes in the PNW, but we are pretty casual here so others may disagree.

I wouldn't wear them for 'very dressy' events, but for everyday, going out to dinner 'dress up' or for work, sure.

I love Born shoes because they are so stinking comfortable and cute.

Here's what I would recommend. It can be casual or dress up.

http://www.bornshoes.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=6397

Born does have some nice shoes. The leather insoles are a bit hit-and-miss with me though. A bit stiff? maybe, I don't really know what it is. Sometimes the feel good in the store, but when I get them home and actually wear them, they just don't feel comfortable. They aren't bad, I just notice that I am wearing them, IYKWIM. But then I have others that I really love.

I have started wearing shoes around the store for a while now, before I buy them. I shop at Nordstrom's / Rack and they don't think twice about it. I try to spend at least 15-20 minute in them if I can. If I notice them on my feet after that amount of time, I won't buy them.

Maybe the leather in soles just needs a chance to break in? I have a pair of loafers that I have maybe worn 5 times. Now, every time I look at them, I just pass them over. :( They are way too expensive to let them sit. Maybe I will Craigslist them.

I don't mean to high jack this thread, but I have some questions! I've just started suffering with what I think is PF. I haven't gone to the dr, but neither have the ppl that tell me I've had b/c they've got it. :-/ Anyway, I've just been pretty much ignoring it, but I love to walk at night, and it's making it nearly impossible b/c of the pain afterwards.

For those of you that have PF, what shoes do you recommend? I am not looking for a style as much as a brand name? I can find something I like for the different styles: running, dress, casual, boot..etc. I just need to know a good place to start. My SIL swears by birkenstock. What do you all think?

Thanks!

I don't mean to high jack this thread, but I have some questions! I've just started suffering with what I think is PF. I haven't gone to the dr, but neither have the ppl that tell me I've had b/c they've got it. :-/ Anyway, I've just been pretty much ignoring it, but I love to walk at night, and it's making it nearly impossible b/c of the pain afterwards.

For those of you that have PF, what shoes do you recommend? I am not looking for a style as much as a brand name? I can find something I like for the different styles: running, dress, casual, boot..etc. I just need to know a good place to start. My SIL swears by birkenstock. What do you all think?

Thanks!

It really depends on your foot and the shoe. I would start by going to a shoe store that has the equipment to measure your gait and foot bed. They are often specialty stores, like running stores or stores that have shoes that fit orthotics. They usually advertise this service on line or in the phone book. If you can't find on in your area, try calling a podiatrist's office and see if they know of any.

There are too many versions of shoes in each brand, to say one brand overall will solve your problems. I have very good luck with Merrel's, others like Birks, other like Dansko. It really depends on your foot.

My main closet shoes are:

I wear New Balance tennis shoes for walking, but only if the model is an 800 or above. I have NB 450 that I only use for gardening in. They bend soft, and work well for what I need in the garden. I would not go shopping in them.

I wear Ahnu and Merrell slip on Mary Janes for every day/casual.

I wear Ahnu shoes for work.

I wear Born, Merrell for casual/nice.

I have a pair of Columbia snow boots.

I wear slippers with a high arch when I am at the cabin and replace them yearly just when they first start to break down. It is all hard wood up there, and my PF hurts without them. At my regular house, there is carpet and I can walk barefoot.

I have others but those are my most common. My co-worker has wide feet and would never wear the same shoes as I do. She loves Dansko.

I LOVE boots but it's not actually THAT cold in NZ (North Island), just chilly for a long time. Maybe just short boots........?

Boots are very popular here (Auckland area). I have seen a few people wearing them already and the season is just starting to turn. They are mostly fashion boots, not insulated winter styles.

Thank you..this is good advice. I will look and see what stores we have in our area. :)

It really depends on your foot and the shoe. I would start by going to a shoe store that has the equipment to measure your gait and foot bed. They are often specialty stores, like running stores or stores that have shoes that fit orthotics. They usually advertise this service on line or in the phone book. If you can't find on in your area, try calling a podiatrist's office and see if they know of any.

There are too many versions of shoes in each brand, to say one brand overall will solve your problems. I have very good luck with Merrel's, others like Birks, other like Dansko. It really depends on your foot.

My main closet shoes are:

I wear New Balance tennis shoes for walking, but only if the model is an 800 or above. I have NB 450 that I only use for gardening in. They bend soft, and work well for what I need in the garden. I would not go shopping in them.

I wear Ahnu and Merrell slip on Mary Janes for every day/casual.

I wear Ahnu shoes for work.

I wear Born, Merrell for casual/nice.

I have a pair of Columbia snow boots.

I wear slippers with a high arch when I am at the cabin and replace them yearly just when they first start to break down. It is all hard wood up there, and my PF hurts without them. At my regular house, there is carpet and I can walk barefoot.

I have others but those are my most common. My co-worker has wide feet and would never wear the same shoes as I do. She loves Dansko.

Thanks!

For me it's all about the shoe having a good arch. To add to the good list you've been given Reef flip flops have an arch as well as Chacos. When it starts to act up at all Birkenstocks are what I turn to, though!

Boots are very popular here (Auckland area). I have seen a few people wearing them already and the season is just starting to turn. They are mostly fashion boots, not insulated winter styles.

Thanks!!!!! I will have to look at styles with a good footbed!!!!

Am I headed in a better direction with these?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Z4K7XS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A1HHNK9O9KHPAW

I've had Keens in the past I think they're pretty good for PF, right? These seem like they would span over seasons a bit, too.

I also like these but can't find a review on them:

http://www.amazon.com/BORN-Womens-Christabel-Taupe-Nubuck/dp/B00598NAAU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=IT5ITCJ3801QS&colid=3EID5XRRI36CQ

These are pretty cute as well:

http://www.amazon.com/Ahnu-Womens-Bennie-Mary-Sepia/dp/B0056SWE0K/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1SKUCBC06NAJH&colid=3EID5XRRI36CQ

Any opinions? I've looked at boots a bit but I have NO idea what's cute or not in them!!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Z4K7XS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A1HHNK9O9KHPAW

I've had Keens in the past I think they're pretty good for PF, right? These seem like they would span over seasons a bit, too.

http://www.amazon.com/BORN-Womens-Christabel-Taupe-Nubuck/dp/B00598NAAU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=IT5ITCJ3801QS&colid=3EID5XRRI36CQ

http://www.amazon.com/Ahnu-Womens-Bennie-Mary-Sepia/dp/B0056SWE0K/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1SKUCBC06NAJH&colid=3EID5XRRI36CQ

Any opinions? I've looked at boots a bit but I have NO idea what's cute or not in them!!!

I especially love the first and the last shoe. The first looks like the pair I bought for my oldest dd to wear while ankling around Spain. She said she couldn't have imagined going without them. Comfortable, supportive, and cute! Those yellow ones....oh my. I might have to get me a pair!

When I had trouble with plantar fasciitis, I bought a pair of the ugly Keens and wore them all the time. I credit those shoes with saving my feet! We have all hard floors in our house, so my feet were really hurting. I basically wore these as slippers: (Let's see if I can find a link)

http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/product/ss12/shoes/women/trailhead/newport/oil%20green!mimosa

My experience has been that if your body is acclimatised to living in a warm place, you will feel the cold more (my vote is boots:)) I spent my teen years living in Melbourne where, although it gets chilly, it's not exactly snow weather. I moved to the other side of the country (Perth, where the summers are stinking hot and the winters very, very mild) When I returned to Melbourne for a holiday after about 8 years, I thought I was going to die of frostbite. I couldn't believe how I much felt the cold.

Also, I wouldn't buy anything that's at all open, whether at the heel or on top of the foot. If it rains, if you step in one little puddle you will have wet, cold feet for the rest of the day. Take it from one who knows :glare:

I think these are cute, and I have a pair of shoes that are a lot like the Keens. (Mine might be Keens, I'm not sure.)

However. These are my late spring-through-fall shoes. They are not my preferred shoes for cold or wet days.

However. These are my late spring-through-fall shoes. They are not my preferred shoes for cold or wet days.

If there's the possibility of rain I wear shoes which have covered tops - lace-ups or slip-ons - or boots. I just checked, and in June or July in New Zealand you are going to get up to six inches of rain per month. That's a fair bit.

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

My experience has been that if your body is acclimatised to living in a warm place, you will feel the cold more (my vote is boots:)) I spent my teen years living in Melbourne where, although it gets chilly, it's not exactly snow weather. I moved to the other side of the country (Perth, where the summers are stinking hot and the winters very, very mild) When I returned to Melbourne for a holiday after about 8 years, I thought I was going to die of frostbite. I couldn't believe how I much felt the cold.

Also, I wouldn't buy anything that's at all open, whether at the heel or on top of the foot. If it rains, if you step in one little puddle you will have wet, cold feet for the rest of the day. Take it from one who knows :glare:

True, I'm probably a bit of a wimp, ha! Auckland isn't too back, though. It can get down to 10C/50F but that's about it. It does rain quite a bit, though........

If there's the possibility of rain I wear shoes which have covered tops - lace-ups or slip-ons - or boots. I just checked, and in June or July in New Zealand you are going to get up to six inches of rain per month. That's a fair bit.

Laura

Does anyone have a boot recommendation?????? I've looked but I really don't know what to like or not! :001_smile: Styles have changed heaps. I probably wouldn't want something that goes up much past my ankle.

I especially love the first and the last shoe. The first looks like the pair I bought for my oldest dd to wear while ankling around Spain. She said she couldn't have imagined going without them. Comfortable, supportive, and cute! Those yellow ones....oh my. I might have to get me a pair!

When I had trouble with plantar fasciitis, I bought a pair of the ugly Keens and wore them all the time. I credit those shoes with saving my feet! We have all hard floors in our house, so my feet were really hurting. I basically wore these as slippers: (Let's see if I can find a link)

http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/product/ss12/shoes/women/trailhead/newport/oil%20green!mimosa

My husband wears those ugly Keens all the time here. :001_smile: Thanks for the good report about the first pair!!! Really like those! Now I have to decide it they'll be friendly with the weather or not.

Cuteness or sometimes clammy with wet socks......?

Edited by Bula Mama

True, I'm probably a bit of a wimp, ha! Auckland isn't too back, though. It can get down to 10C/50F but that's about it. It does rain quite a bit, though........

While it is true that daytime temps in Auckland are usually around 10C, it is also important to realize that the cold is often a damp cold. That can make it feel much chillier than the temp might indicate. Also, one of the biggest surprises I had coming to Auckland from the US was finding out that buildings do not have central heating. I had lived my whole life up to that point in the northern US and so was use to much colder temps, but still I found that many buildings here were colder than I had expected. I spent July and August last year in layers of clothing.

While it is true that daytime temps in Auckland are usually around 10C, it is also important to realize that the cold is often a damp cold. That can make it feel much chillier than the temp might indicate. Also, one of the biggest surprises I had coming to Auckland from the US was finding out that buildings do not have central heating. I had lived my whole life up to that point in the northern US and so was use to much colder temps, but still I found that many buildings here were colder than I had expected. I spent July and August last year in layers of clothing.

True!!!! I look rediculous walking around the house in all the layers I've used when there, ha! But you're right. Warm feet equals all around being warmer. I may have to let my cute Mary Jane ideas go!

I would still love to see some past the ankle boot ideas!!!!!

Edited by Bula Mama

I just bought these. Very comfy! Keen shoes. They look great with jeans, but dressier than a tennis shoe.

I couldn't get the link to work but found it from the name in the link :001_smile: Those do look really useful! The black MIGHT dress up a bit.

These look similar in a low boot. Wonder how these would do??? Hard to find stuff with a good footbed!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Keen-Womens-Clara-Casual-Potting/dp/B004KNWPWE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I6WT5DWVX25KR&colid=3EID5XRRI36CQ

Still kind of hoping for something that could dress up a little with slacks.....

These are kind of cute but not totally enclosed in the back:

http://www.amazon.com/Merrell-Womens-Encore-Ice-Slip-Ons/dp/B003JJ9BUE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2XQKBKOQHF2OS&colid=3EID5XRRI36CQ

Are these in style at all?

http://www.amazon.com/Born-Womens-Toby-Dark-Brown/dp/B003SPEYLA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3DGPQ4JQZXGPV&colid=3EID5XRRI36CQ

VERY much appreciate all the helpful posts!!!!! Thank you!

Edited by Bula Mama