Menu

When to contact a realtor?

We are planning on putting our house on the market in early June. I'm not 100% sure what realtor to use just yet. I'm watching who is selling what in our area and how fast they go, etc.

At this point, we are trying to finish up remodeling. Right now, we have a master bath to remodel (will be done in a month), carpet to put in in 3 bedrooms, most of the house needs to be painted (before new carpet is laid..lol), and little fix it stuff here and there.

At what point do we start interviewing potential realtors? I know we need to get this remodeling done, but maybe we should be doing some of the ground work now for who we are going to hire? This is our first house we have ever sold so this is all new to us and I'm scared to death..lol

I would start interviewing now. A good Realtor will have people lined up to see it the day you list. Make sure you get a comprehensive marketing plan from each realtor AND exampled of how the implemented it with past clients. Realtors will often not follow through with marketing because of cost, so get their signature on the marketing plan if you go with them. Have a Realtor not only show you comparable sales but ask them to take you to other listings in your approx price range before setting your price. Realtors are hungry right now. Make them work for the listing!!!!!!!

I would start interviewing now. A good Realtor will have people lined up to see it the day you list. Make sure you get a comprehensive marketing plan from each realtor AND exampled of how the implemented it with past clients. Realtors will often not follow through with marketing because of cost, so get their signature on the marketing plan if you go with them. Have a Realtor not only show you comparable sales but ask them to take you to other listings in your approx price range before setting your price. Realtors are hungry right now. Make them work for the listing!!!!!!!

I would also ask for references from previous clients. If possible, I would try to talk to someone who either had a listing last a really long time, and how they still felt about the realtor, or someone whose home did not ultimately sell.

No, I've not done this, but after a series of unhappy endings with realtors (even after good sales), along with watching the other side's realtors deliberately deceive their clients, we finally have one that we like.