Menu

If you're super organized, and you feel like your days run more smoothly and less stressfully BECAUSE of your organization...

What would you say you DON'T do, that less organized people DO do...that equates to more time for you to be organized??!! :) (Clarification: maybe more time for you to "work your systems", maintain organization, plan ahead, cook freezer meals, etc!)

Clear as mud?

Example: you don't plop down at the computer 5 times a day (you limit computer time to once or twice a day, etc.),

Thought this might be a helpful thread!

Edited by daysaregifts

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say that I limit my computer time, but I am fairly organized.

I do not need more time to be organized - if anything, being organized saves me a lot of time.

Things I don't do:

- put things in temporary locations. Everything gets put into its permanent home. This means that no time is lost looking for stuff.

- buy things that I do not need. Even if they are on sale. Less stuff is easier to organize.

- collect. Anything.

- hang on to unused items in hopes of having the mother of all garage sales some day. This day won't come.

- write important things on little pieces of paper that get lost. If it is important (dates, addresses, etc), I write it into my agenda. Right away.

- have a TV. Computer with internet is bad enough already. TV is the black hole for time.

- sleep late. Having to be at work at 8am is a great way to be up and running early. I find days that start promptly to be more productive.

Edited by regentrude

I don't watch tv before 10pm (we don't have cable, and I watch the news).

I only handle the mail one time - all garbage goes in the can before it hits the table.

I'm only on the computer when I eat breakfast and lunch, and sometimes after 9pm, generally speaking.

I stay on task, make lists, and keep my schedules :)

Well, I'm forever in a state of trying to be more and more organized, so it's a trajectory. And with two little kids, I sometimes feel really scattered. But I would consider myself Reasonably Well Organized.

I do not:

*watch TV.

*buy a lot of stuff--it's just hard to keep up with stuff. point driven home today when I re-organized our garage--Stuff Management is just a time consuming thing!

*walk from one room to the other without taking something with me; in other words--it's reflexive tidying all day long

*open mail and just put it down--I deal with it right then and there--either recycle, file, or read it. Sometimes I will keep a magazine to read in the bathtub--but you know what I mean. :)

*engage in pursuits that are time-consuming and that do not really pay the dividends I want. I won't name anything because something I eschew may be what someone else loves--but I'll just say this--I'm very *particular* about how I spend my time. I don't do a lot of things that other women do!

I do:

*keep lists

*TRY to limit my computer time during the day (some days are better than others)

*stay realistic. only so much one girl can do in 24 hours.

I'm super organized. I think the reason I can take so many breaks, read books, etc. is that I'm really, really good at multitasking. I used to think that everyone was like me. I didn't understand why it took people so long to do things. Then I realized I was different by the time I was 23 or so. Now, I still amaze people with how quickly I work. I can clean a 1500 sq ft house in about 3 hours. That's bathrooms, dusting, kitchen, floors, sliding doors, and alternating blinds with base boards (I clean each only once a month). I have to tell my clients up front that I work quickly and efficiently. I have them check over my work and they are always satisfied.

So for me, it's a matter of good time management and efficient movements. I very rarely walk to the laundry without bringing something back, for example. It saves a trip. It's just the way my mind works.

What things do I do to be organized?

I put things away after I use them. I have a place to put things away. Things that don't have a place either get one or are gone.

I write appointments/events/reminders on my big wall calendar.

About once a month, I declutter some area of the general living space. The pack-rats that I live with can keep their treasures in their own rooms/garages, but the living areas are not those places.

I wipe up spills when they get made. Wipe down the bathroom when I happen to be in there using it :D.

I don't think there are things that I don't do in order to be organized - I think I have more time to do the things I enjoy because I waster less time searching and cleaning.

I can clean a 1500 sq ft house in about 3 hours. That's bathrooms, dusting, kitchen, floors, sliding doors, and alternating blinds with base boards (I clean each only once a month). I have to tell my clients up front that I work quickly and efficiently. I have them check over my work and they are always satisfied.

:iagree:

I found that cleaning house can be done very efficiently in a short amount of time - if I am working systematically and stay on task and am not distracted or switching back and forth between different activities. I timed myself once cleaning our house and was surprised how quickly this is accomplished if I do it in one go in a dedicated chunk of time.

I get up when the alarm goes off in the morning and never hit snooze. And I go to bed on time, realizing there is no way I can get everything done that I'd like to get done each day.

I try to get the most unpleasant tasks done first, rather than saving them for later because I know I will be able to come up with a reason to not do them.

I try to be detached from "stuff" - if we don't need it or we just don't use it, I donate it. If its worn out beyond use, I toss it. (For me this is actually very easy, but it seems to be the hardest thing in the world for many of my friends, who tend to keep things around "just in case".)

Things I don't do:

- put things in temporary locations. Everything gets put into its permanent home. This means that no time is lost looking for stuff.

- collect. Anything.

- hang on to unused items in hopes of having the mother of all garage sales some day. This day won't come.

- sleep late. Having to be at work at 8am is a great way to be up and running early. I find days that start promptly to be more productive.

:iagree: especially the temporary location thing. Everything has a place and everything in its place! If you can't find a permanent home for something then you do not need it.

I only handle the mail one time - all garbage goes in the can before it hits the table.

I stay on task, make lists, and keep my schedules :)

:iagree: the mail/paperwork thing is a big one. Open it, read it, act on it, get rid of it. I am the same with email. I open it and act on it and delete. I do not go back to it more than once.

I get over 100 emails a day at work that I must respond to. Only visiting them once saves my sanity.

I do not:

*buy a lot of stuff--it's just hard to keep up with stuff. point driven home today when I re-organized our garage--Stuff Management is just a time consuming thing!

*walk from one room to the other without taking something with me; in other words--it's reflexive tidying all day long

*engage in pursuits that are time-consuming and that do not really pay the dividends I want. I won't name anything because something I eschew may be what someone else loves--but I'll just say this--I'm very *particular* about how I spend my time. I don't do a lot of things that other women do!

:iagree: I used to LOVE scrapbooking but it took up so much time that I had to ditch it. Same goes for our children's pursuits. We made a decision long ago not to get involved in anything that would take an inordinate amount of our family time. I do not want our family to spend our whole lives in a gym, or on a ball field, or in rink, etc.

It works for other people but not us.

I try to get the most unpleasant tasks done first, rather than saving them for later because I know I will be able to come up with a reason to not do them.

I try to be detached from "stuff" - if we don't need it or we just don't use it, I donate it. If its worn out beyond use, I toss it. (For me this is actually very easy, but it seems to be the hardest thing in the world for many of my friends, who tend to keep things around "just in case".)

:iagree: always do the thing you dislike the most FIRST.

And I am a merciless declutterer. If we haven't used it or worn it in the last year, it is out.

We moved back from NC to Michigan and then one year later moved to Malaysia. When packing for this move I found boxes in the garage from our move a year earlier that I had never unpacked.

I immediately gave them to Goodwill without opening them. I have no idea what was in them but if I lived without those items for a year then I don't need them.

Ship your whole life to the other side of the world on a limited shipping budget and you learn what matters most in your life!

Things I do:

A place for everything, and everything in its place (exception, I pile clothes on my dresser because my closet is in the classroom. I fix that every few days by putting things away)

Less stuff - I have seasonal wardrobes, but if it can't fit in my closet, something has to go

Not multiples of everything - I have two-three sheets sets per bed. Two is my preference. I have 5 of the same kind of dishtowels. We have hooks in the bathroom for bathtowels. We have one decent set of dishes.

Forge good habits - my dh is a neat person. I have never picked his underwear or socks off the floor. Ds is the same way. We just don't leave stuff lying around.

Live small - surround yourself with the things that matter to you. I do collect, but I don't collect everything of a category.

decorative boxes are a godsend - I have three kinds of decorative boxes in the classroom to hold loose items. It's more visually appealing.

Don't hide the corners in your home. We used to clean houses and a lot of people who had been in their homes for years had boxes or stuff piled in the corners of rooms. It was never moved or touched. Right now I have a few things stashed in a corner and it's bothering me. I'm going to move them tomorrow now. :lol:

Use color to help. I unconsciously do this but every one of our rooms has a different color as an accent. For instance we have cobalt blue plates and glasses. We tend to drag glasses around the house during the day. So a quick survey at night show me I need to take glasses to the kitchen if I see cobalt blue. I organize my closet by color now too.

eta: clothes are now off my dresser today, off to tackle that box in the corner!

Edited by elegantlion

:iagree: especially the temporary location thing. Everything has a place and everything in its place! If you can't find a permanent home for something then you do not need it.

:iagree: the mail/paperwork thing is a big one. Open it, read it, act on it, get rid of it. I am the same with email. I open it and act on it and delete. I do not go back to it more than once.

I get over 100 emails a day at work that I must respond to. Only visiting them once saves my sanity.

:iagree: I used to LOVE scrapbooking but it took up so much time that I had to ditch it. Same goes for our children's pursuits. We made a decision long ago not to get involved in anything that would take an inordinate amount of our family time. I do not want our family to spend our whole lives in a gym, or on a ball field, or in rink, etc.

:iagree: always do the thing you dislike the most FIRST.

And I am a merciless declutterer. If we haven't used it or worn it in the last year, it is out.

We moved back from NC to Michigan and then one year later moved to Malaysia. When packing for this move I found boxes in the garage from our move a year earlier that I had never unpacked.

I immediately gave them to Goodwill without opening them. I have no idea what was in them but if I lived without those items for a year then I don't need them.

Ship your whole life to the other side of the world on a limited shipping budget and you learn what matters most in your life!

Yep- moving to a totally different country and being allowed 2 suitcases per person clarifies priorities! I am only somewhat organized and I could be better if I would make a place for everything AND gets kids and dh on board!

Things I DON'T do:

1. Procrastinate. For the most part, if something needs getting done, I do it. I don't surf the net or watch t.v. instead. (There are always exceptions to the rule, of course).

2. Plop cr*p on the dining room table when I come home and not put it away. Everything goes into its proper home immediately: bookbags, sports equipment, dirty water bottles, old receipts that somehow floated into my car, school books, shoes, sweatshirts.

3. Leave school books out for more than a day. Schoolbooks go away at the end of every school day. Yes, it's a pain. But that's the way it is.

4. Leave library books all over the house. Library books must always be in one of three places: their night table, the coffee table or the library book bin. Period.

5. Wait until there are no more clothes to do laundry. I do a load of laundry daily.

There's more, but this is a good start.

This made me :lol:. I finally had that realization last year. No, there will never be a garage sale. No, it will not get sold on eBay. No, it will not get sold on Diaperswappers or Mothering.com. GET RID OF IT.

I did the big Sidetracked Home Executives decluttering years ago when I read the books. I'm not Born Organized, so it never would have occurred to me to organize closets/cabinets/basement FIRST so you have an organized place to catch things when you clean the house. It makes sense, and I'm glad I did it, but I sure wouldn't have thought of it on my own because I'd do what can be SEEN first. Organized folks don't have messy storage spaces.

A Cleaning Cart- I also stole this from an organization book. I took one of those wheeled, folding grocery carts and repurposed it. I can make one pass around the room with that thing. I put a caddy with cleaning supplies in it. It has a trash bag and pillow case attached to it. When I get to a room, I take out the cleaning caddy and work around the room cleaning glass and furniture. Laundry goes in the main part of the cart. Trash goes in the trash bag. Anything that belongs in another room goes in the pillowcase. Vacuum the room then move to the next. Organized folks don't crisscross a room 5000 times or leave the room to return a single item to its home.

Meal Planning - plan your meals around what you have in the house, THEN look at sales papers and recipe books. Organized folks don't have scary refrigerators full of wasted food or pantries stuffed with 1000 open boxes.

Organized folks mercilessly throw everything away. I'm not a natural pack rat, but ten years in the same home allowed me to pile up years of stuff. When I finally started purging, it felt very liberating . . . like earning free real estate. I gave up on a garage sale ever happening and realized most of the 'stuff' wasn't worth the square footage it was occupying in my high cost-of-living area.

I know you asked for the opinions of organized folks, but for some of us it's a learned skill and not a natural talent. It's not enough to know WHAT to do, but you have to actually DO it consistently. Some folks are more naturally consistent, and then there are us Feast or Famine types :-) the S.H.E. cards worked well for me because I could do three days worth of chore cards on my manic cleaning sprees, then coast for a few days without blowing the 'system.'

If this thread doesn't motivate you, try watching Clean House, or worse yet, Hoarders. :D

I do many of the things organized people avoid.:blush:

So do I. I'm sitting here saying, "But! But.. but..." But no.

I don't consider myself super-organized, however, I will say that my best days are when I wake up and get moving before 7:00.

This is me too. Too bad it only happens a few times a year :blushing: I keep trying though!

I used to LOVE scrapbooking but it took up so much time that I had to ditch it. Same goes for our children's pursuits. We made a decision long ago not to get involved in anything that would take an inordinate amount of our family time. I do not want our family to spend our whole lives in a gym, or on a ball field, or in rink, etc.

:iagree: My family needs a lot of down time, so I try to limit our activities. The busier we get, the more out of control the house gets.

- buy things that I do not need. Even if they are on sale. Less stuff is easier to organize.

- collect. Anything.

-

:iagree: Both of these quotes, and so many others above, echo the same thought- have less! Buy less, collect less, store less, keep less!

I do not consider myself super-organized, but it helps me tremendously to keep everything clutter free. There is no junk or stuff:

On the counter

On the table

Stuck on the fridge

On any coffee or end tables or entertainment center

On the bathroom counters

If my kids leave stuff out, it goes into a small pile on their kitchen chair. I have one small spot on the counter where everything that I need to tend to goes--whether it's small notes, something to add to the school schedule, a movie we will watch. Everything else has a place, usually in with the school books (current books are inside the tv cabinet) or in the computer armoire w/dh's computer.

It's been my observation that people who fail at their continued attempts to "organize" have too much stuff. If you have stacks of things that you will "get to," you likely never will, and you probably don't really need it. (I'm using "you" generically here, certainly not directed at any poster, OP or otherwise!)

Being able to meet both my work deadlines and my family's needs requires that I make time for the right things and that I remain organized.

To do this, I generally don't

● Schedule or agree to anything without first consulting the master calendar.

● Keep a cluttered or "busy" house. (Related aside: We moved a little more than a year ago, and as others may have already pointed out, this is the easiest way to purge. I have always been a ruthless declutterer, as well as a proponent of the company-ready guide to housekeeping, but even we had accumulated some *stuff.*)

● Allow piles -- of books, art supplies, music folders, clothes, papers, anything. Use it or put it where it belongs. (And, no, if the Misses' art and music are any indication whatsoever, this does not, as many have suggested, put the kibosh on creativity.)

● Neglect myself. Good sleep. Appropriate food. A daily walk. Regular trips to the doctor and dentist. Work and pursuits that enliven my sense of self. Etc. Being healthy, mind and body, makes everything easier.

● Answer the telephone. The ringer is off -- unless my daughters are at work, practice, lessons, etc. and may need to reach me. Messages collect in voice-mail, and I return calls when / if it's convenient / necessary.

● Cook elaborate meals. Cooking has never been my "thing," anyway, so it's not a stretch for me to keep it simple. (And we built my penchant for eating out into the budget long, long ago. *wry grin*)

● Craft, scrapbook, or join clubs.

If I watch TV at all, it's late at night (around 9pm).

I don't spend much time on the phone. I call a close friend once or twice per week for a chat. Other than that the phone is used only briefly.

I don't spend much time shopping. It's done purely on an as needed basis.

I don't have a facebook account or a blog.

I limited my computer time to specific windows during the day and evening.

All of this provides me with enough time to school my kid, clean my house, and generally take care of the stuff I need to take care of.

It's really about maturity. The ability to discipline yourself to do what you need to do rather than what you want to do comes with practice and time. I've gotten better at it as I've practiced it.

What an inspiration you all are! Wherever we are on the "organization" journey-- making/having time for the important things-- we can all learn so much from each other!

I loved the phrase

"reflexive tidying". :001_smile: (Always carrying something to the place you're going)

A lot of the same ones as others...

*I'm a see it, do it kind of person. So if something needs putting away, I put it away. If something needs fixing, I do it then. If we're in the middle of school or something else I can't stop, I'll make a note to do it later and then do it as soon as I can.

*I'm also a ruthless declutterer. I don't shop much and have very very few knickknacks or decorative stuff.

*I put stuff away right away. I have a place at the top of the stairs and I keep a pile there and if I'm going downstairs, I carry it down and put it away right then. We have a regular habit of doing a pick-up roughly before lunch, before teatime/mid-afternoon, before dinner and before bed. I also try really really hard not to leave the house a mess.

*Deal with the mail or any paperwork (also any emails) right away.

Somewhat related, someone here once posted a "to don't" list. I apologize but I can't remember whose idea it was originally. The idea being that it's a list of all the things you don't do. For me this was very freeing in that I realized if I'm not doing these things it's because I have other priorities. I think not doing a lot of these things is what enables me to be organized with the things I do need to do. I keep a reasonably clean and neat house, I work, I homeschool, I read a lot and I enjoy my family. As disclaimers, since writing this we hired a cleaning service twice a month which certainly takes the burden of the deep cleaning off of me and I should also say that by saying I don't do these things I don't mean to imply that others shouldn't do them. Some (quilting, gardening) are things I might like to do one day but I just realize they aren't priorities now.

Here's my list (copied from my blog):

1) I don’t scrapbook.

2) I don’t clip coupons.

3) I don’t quilt. Or sew.

4) I don’t garden.

5) I don’t mop the kitchen floor except for very rarely.

6) Ditto scrubbing the shower, or cleaning out the fridge, or other deep cleaning tasks.

7) I don’t iron.

8 ) I don’t shop unless I need something specific.

9) I don’t call people on the phone just to chat.

10) I don’t decorate my house for holidays other than Christmas.

11) I don’t change the decorations in our house.

12) I don’t watch TV (much).

13) I don’t get manicures. Or pedicures. Or facials.

14) I don’t have a hairstyle that requires any maintenance.

15) I don’t color my hair.

16) I don’t do Facebook or Twitter.

17) I don’t do frugal menu planning or freezer cooking.

18) I don’t monitor very carefully or worry about the ingredients in our food.

19) I don’t keep babybooks for the kids.

20) I don’t have any houseplants that require watering.

21) I don’t bake regularly.

22) I don’t do nature study (as a homeschooler this is a big deal, for anyone else you’re probably puzzled as to why I would even include this).

23) I don’t try to do things to increase traffic on this blog or do anything with this blog other than write.

24) I don’t sell stuff.

25) I don’t change our homeschool curriculum if what we are using is working.

One thing that helps me though is having a place to put children's stuff that I find lying around. This allows me to keep the public areas tidy without doing their work for them. I have a big basket with a lid in the corridor that leads from the public area to the bedrooms. Any children's stuff (books, etc.) that I find lying around gets put in there. They clear it out as part of their weekly routine and in the interim it's out of sight and I'm not running around putting it away.

This is especially important now they go to school, but it worked well when we home educated too: it stopped me chasing them constantly for little things and improved our relationship.

Laura

- I don't watch t.v. until after the kids are in bed, and if it is on I'm always working on something else too- school plans, knitting, answering work email, *something*.

- I don't get distracted while organizing or cleaning. If I'm cleaning the bathroom and find something that belongs in my son's room I don't go put it away right away. I set the object in the hall and finish cleaning the bathroom before putting it away.

- I don't "work" after the dinner-related chores are done. Cleaning and keeping things picked up is a family job and we all work at it through the day. After dinner we want to actually enjoy our time together so we choose to work really hard during the day at whatever needs done so that we truly have free time in the evenings.

- I really try hard not to let any one thing pile up- dishes, laundry, a room in need of cleaning- whatever. The longer I let it go the more overwhelming it is to tackle, so I try to take care of things as they need done instead of waiting until it becomes a dire situation.

- I don't do it all myself. My kids have a daily chore list of age-appropriate chores and my husband does quite a lot around the house too. We both work full time and each have daily things we take care of- for example I start laundry in the morning, move it to the dryer before I start working and he and the boys take care of all the folding and putting away once he is home in the afternoons. Our goal by Friday dinner is to not have any chores to carry into the weekend and I could never do that if it were just me handling every household chore along with my work schedule and homeschooling (with which DH also helps).

*shiver*

Organised is boring... :tongue_smilie:

I don't even want to be organised.

My house is a mess. It's hygienic (very important), but it's still a mess.

No, I can't be organised. Messy is much more cozy and "living". There is even chaos in my head...

Don't try to be organised, when it's not in your blood.

Resistance is futile! :D

I don't watch TV either.

I don't have laundry piles - clean or dirty. When I take it off, it goes into the bin for wash. When it's dry, I fold and put away.

I don't use the dishwasher except after a "big meal." It's just another place to park stuff. I wash the dishes by hand right away and re-use right from the dish drainer most of the time.

I don't go to the store to buy stuff I can buy just as cheaply online.

I don't buy stuff unless and until I need it.

I don't have stuff lying around just because I'm going to use it every day. I keep stuff in categorized bins out of the way. When I need it I pull out the appropriate bin - like after my shower, I have about 8 things I use and they are all in a bin under my sink. Pull out, use each one, back in the bin, back under the sink, done.

I don't I re-use the same towel between laundry days. And I don't use multiple sets of sheets. They go from use to wash to use - no need for folding or putting in a cupboard. Same with my kids' swim stuff - the wet stuff gets washed, dried, and put right back in the swim bag for next time.

I don't wash and keep every disposable container. There are some I keep, but only if they are easy to wash (not greasy) and have lids and stack well. Any non-junky container that lacks a lid goes into the charity bag.

I don't bother with PJs. We sleep in whatever we putz in while awake.

I don't collect or hoard. Less is more!

I don't print stuff unless I absolutely need a hard copy. I save to PDF instead.

I don't get too many mailings because I opt out of mailers on the internet. When I do get junk mail it goes right into the garbage.

I don't get the newspaper or magazines. I read my news online.

I don't keep many school papers. The vast majority of my kids' school papers go straight into the garbage as soon as I have reviewed them.

● Cook elaborate meals. Cooking has never been my "thing," anyway, so it's not a stretch for me to keep it simple. (And we built my penchant for eating out into the budget long, long ago. *wry grin*)

:001_wub::001_wub:

A lot of the same ones as others...

*I'm a see it, do it kind of person. So if something needs putting away, I put it away. If something needs fixing, I do it then. If we're in the middle of school or something else I can't stop, I'll make a note to do it later and then do it as soon as I can.

*I'm also a ruthless declutterer. I don't shop much and have very very few knickknacks or decorative stuff.

*I put stuff away right away. I have a place at the top of the stairs and I keep a pile there and if I'm going downstairs, I carry it down and put it away right then. We have a regular habit of doing a pick-up roughly before lunch, before teatime/mid-afternoon, before dinner and before bed. I also try really really hard not to leave the house a mess.

*Deal with the mail or any paperwork (also any emails) right away.

Somewhat related, someone here once posted a "to don't" list. I apologize but I can't remember whose idea it was originally. The idea being that it's a list of all the things you don't do. For me this was very freeing in that I realized if I'm not doing these things it's because I have other priorities. I think not doing a lot of these things is what enables me to be organized with the things I do need to do. I keep a reasonably clean and neat house, I work, I homeschool, I read a lot and I enjoy my family. As disclaimers, since writing this we hired a cleaning service twice a month which certainly takes the burden of the deep cleaning off of me and I should also say that by saying I don't do these things I don't mean to imply that others shouldn't do them. Some (quilting, gardening) are things I might like to do one day but I just realize they aren't priorities now.

Here's my list (copied from my blog):

1) I don’t scrapbook.

2) I don’t clip coupons.

3) I don’t quilt. Or sew.

4) I don’t garden.

5) I don’t mop the kitchen floor except for very rarely.

6) Ditto scrubbing the shower, or cleaning out the fridge, or other deep cleaning tasks.

7) I don’t iron.

8 ) I don’t shop unless I need something specific.

9) I don’t call people on the phone just to chat.

10) I don’t decorate my house for holidays other than Christmas.

11) I don’t change the decorations in our house.

12) I don’t watch TV (much).

13) I don’t get manicures. Or pedicures. Or facials.

14) I don’t have a hairstyle that requires any maintenance.

15) I don’t color my hair.

16) I don’t do Facebook or Twitter.

17) I don’t do frugal menu planning or freezer cooking.

18) I don’t monitor very carefully or worry about the ingredients in our food.

19) I don’t keep babybooks for the kids.

20) I don’t have any houseplants that require watering.

21) I don’t bake regularly.

22) I don’t do nature study (as a homeschooler this is a big deal, for anyone else you’re probably puzzled as to why I would even include this).

23) I don’t try to do things to increase traffic on this blog or do anything with this blog other than write.

24) I don’t sell stuff.

25) I don’t change our homeschool curriculum if what we are using is working.

:001_wub: (except #25, LOL. :svengo:, but I'm getting better :D)

If nothing else, this thread has made me understand why my house is usually a cluttered mess. Many of the things that organized people say they don't do are the things that I enjoy most in my life. I haven't been scrapbooking lately, but I was in an art based career and I love the creative outlet and my family loves looking back through the books. I know all of our pets make so much extra work, but they add so much fun to our lives that I would never be without pets. During our long winters, I struggle with depression, so having the kids do many activities forces me to get out of the house more often and that's a healthy thing for me.

Actually, I am the organized one in our house and my dh saves every little thing he finds to use "someday". I constantly try to declutter and he brings more stuff home.:glare: Maybe I'll have to take a few of the ideas I've learned here have a little less clutter.

Edited by mom2scouts

*shiver*

Organised is boring... :tongue_smilie:

I don't even want to be organised.

No, I can't be organised. Messy is much more cozy and "living". There is even chaos in my head...

Don't try to be organised, when it's not in your blood.

Resistance is futile! :D

Oh, I can't disagree more!! :D I am such a naturally untidy and disorganised person, but I can't not *try* to be organised, mainly BECAUSE of the chaos in my head! :lol:

Resist! Resist the chaos! :lol::lol:

Emma x

What am I learning from this thread?

Cleaning and organizing takes a LOT of time and effort and work. Far more work than I spend trying to look for the set of keys I misplaced.

Really? I see it the other way. I think I do less work than most people because I handle/move things a smaller number of times and rarely have to set aside time for a "major cleaning."

Granted, it takes time initially to develop these strategies and habits.

I have friends whose personal space is always a mess and they spend a significant amount of time moving stuff repeatedly just to function. Just hanging something up instead of throwing it on the bed would save them a lot of time in the long run. I won't even get into how long it takes them to find the shoes they want to wear.

Really? I see it the other way. I think I do less work than most people because I handle/move things a smaller number of times and rarely have to set aside time for a "major cleaning."

I have friends whose personal space is always a mess and they spend a significant amount of time moving stuff repeatedly just to function. Just hanging something up instead of throwing it on the bed would save them a lot of time in the long run. I won't even get into how long it takes them to find the shoes they want to wear.

Interesting....it SOUNDS so easy. It SEEMS so easy. Implementing for those of us who struggle in this area is VERY hard. Harder than it seems like it should be.

A little thing I do is always make sure the kitchen is cleaned before you go to bed. Waking up to a kitchen that's ready to go helps the day get started right. How depressing is it to have to wake up and wash dirty pots and pans before you can even make oatmeal? Ugh.

Make the bed right when you get out of bed.

When you get undressed at night put all dirty clothes into the basket and clothes that don't need to be washed get put away immediately. Nothing gets thrown on the floor.

Scrapbookers can be organized but I don't spend much time scrapbooking and I keep it simple. All my scrap stuff has to fit into one tub that can be stowed away when not in use.

Interesting....it SOUNDS so easy. It SEEMS so easy. Implementing for those of us who struggle in this area is VERY hard. Harder than it seems like it should be.

I do observe that some people find it easier than others to develop a new habit.

I am not sure if there's anything that can be done about that. I'd love to know, though, because I'm raising a kid who is borderline hopeless in that respect.

I do observe that some people find it easier than others to develop a new habit.

I am not sure if there's anything that can be done about that. I'd love to know, though, because I'm raising a kid who is borderline hopeless in that respect.

I know for me having things almost hyper organized is key. As well as limiting the amounts of stuff. HOWEVER, I find it ridiculously hard to keep up with the stuff coming into the house. It's overwhelming to feel like I'm constantly sorting through things to purge. It's like it never ends, lol.

If nothing else, this thread has made me understand why my house is usually a cluttered mess. Many of the things that organized people say they don't do are the things that I enjoy most in my life. I haven't been scrapbooking lately, but I was in an art based career and I love the creative outlet and my family loves looking back through the books. I know all of our pets make so much extra work, but they add so much fun to our lives that I would never be without pets. During our long winters, I struggle with depression, so having the kids do many activities forces me to get out of the house more often and that's a healthy thing for me.

:iagree:

(But I admire those of you who are uber organized even if I don't want to join your ranks!

This is totally my experience. Having a good system is a huge timesaver. Putting away as I go through my day means I don't waste time looking for things or digging myself out of a cluttered pit. My sister is my polar opposite and her life is chaotic and she spends inordinate amounts of time just looking for the simplest things. And shuffling stuff instead of just filing immediately or tossing it, hanging it up or dropping in the hamper. It takes no more time to put something where it should go than it does to drop it and then shuffle it later!

See, I find it SO hard to keep the house hygienic because of the mess! I can't get to the floor to vacuum it unless the mess is picked up (which it never is, thanks to DD6 :glare:). I run out of time to actually clean the bathroom by the time I clear up all the junk laying around in it. Even if I get time for a deep cleaning, by the time I clear the clutter to get to all the surfaces, I've run out of time for the actual cleaning. Drives me INSANE.

I am such a naturally untidy and disorganised person, but I can't not *try* to be organised, mainly BECAUSE of the chaos in my head! :lol:

Resist! Resist the chaos! :lol::lol:

Emma x

:lol: Here too. The chaos/clutter affects my equilibrium SO badly, it makes it hard for me to function!

Well, I wanted to say a thanks to everyone posting in this thread. I was up until 3 a.m. last night cleaning up and clearing out clutter in our dining room, and I was thinking about some of the things people said here as I did it! The dining room looks great today, and some of the junk that's lived there for years is permanently gone :w00t: