Menu

I need recipes for low sugar/sugar free desserts

I posted a couple weeks ago that I had to take the 3 hour sugar test for diabetes. I did pass the test, but apparently just by the skin of my teeth. So the doc said I need to go ahead and follow a diabetic diet. I mostly do this anyway, but I am pregnant and have been seriously craving sweets. (And spicy, which is causing serious heartburn issues, but that is another post. :glare:) I would prefer to avoid fake sugars, but I'll use them if I can't find anything good without them.

So if you have a great diabetic friendly dessert recipe, please share! :bigear:

What about some strawberries with some homemade whipped cream? You could control the amount of sugar in the whipped cream.

:iagree: Dh's favorite dessert is now whipped cream with blueberries. He doesn't add any sweetener to the cream. Once he stopped eating sugar and other simple carbs he found whipping cream and berries to have their own sweetness that he hadn't noticed before.

A friend of mine who couldn't have much sugar used to eat chocolaty cereal for dessert when she was pregnant. I know there's sugar in there, but probably not as much as in regular desserts. Might be worth checking out.

When I was on a diabetic diet during pregnancy ( I failed the 3 hour glucose test) I was told that whenever I had sugar cravings I should spread about 2 tsp of peanut butter on a slice of toasted wheat bread and that this would help the sugar cravings. I went through a lot of peanut butter ;) but it did really help. Also, I would allow myself 1 treat a day (1 serving of Nilla wafers or gingersnaps) and would savor those treats. Fresh berries with cream is also a good idea as berries are considered low on the glycemic index.

Wishing you the best! Those first few weeks are very hard!!!

Diane

I was recently diagnosed as being diabetic. My big thing was chocolate. I've been allowing myself one or two small squares of 85% or 90% chocolate. To someone who has been eating sugar, these will probably seem too bitter. But, if you've been avoiding sugar they are actually really good. They have a very intense chocolate flavor with just tiny sparkles of sweetness. Just let them melt on your tongue - don't chew them.

Also, just this weekend I found a great fudge recipe. I've always stayed away from fake sugars. But, I broke down and bought Truvia. It's a stevia and erythritol combo. I've made the decision that it's OK to use this, but I'm not comfortable with other sweeteners.

Here's the recipe if you want to try it (this came from a recipe board on the website of Dr. Berenstein. You might want to check into him. He promotes controlling diabetes through a LC/HF diet:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Coconut oil Dark Chocolate

Recipe By :

Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Candies Low Carb

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

1/2 cup coconut oil

1/2 cup **cocoa powder (packed)

1/2 cup full fat (zero carb) whipping cream

2 teaspoons *sugar free flavored syrup (hazelnut and/or vanilla)

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Sweeteners to your taste:

4 tsp Truvia (stevia type) sweetener, 2 tsp xlytol, and 1 tiny scoop of Stevia powder (the Stevia comes with it's own tiny scoop)

OR 7 - 8 teaspoons of Truvia

1/8 tsp salt

* optional

**I use 1/2 dark and 1/2 regular cocoa powders to make the dark chocolate. One could use all dark or just make milk chocolate if preferred.

1. Measure 1/2 cup virgin coconut oil into a small microwave mixing/measuring pitcher... and warm till melted

2. Measure into a microwave safe bowl, a 1/2 tsp of vanilla, syrups if desired, 1/8th tsp of salt and sweeteners. Cover and warm in the microwave until the granulated sweeteners and salt are dissolved into the liquid. Add 1/2 cup of full fat whipping cream and cook for a bit till boiling. Allow to cool till no longer boiling hot but still warm.

While it is cooling,

3. Remove the melted oil from the microwave and measure 1/2 cup of cocoa powder into it, mix with a spoon, till you have a chocolate liquid oil

4. Pour the warm cream mixture into the oil mixture and mix with a hand blender (also known as a stick blender) until emulsified or whisk until smooth and thick

5. Spoon into mold, level off and put in the freezer for 10 minutes or in the fridge if you are not in a hurry.

(OR dip other candies into the chocolate for coating)

6. Enjoy!

The finished product may be stored in the refrigerator and does not need to be stored in the freezer... that is assuming there are leftovers!

Source:

"www.diabetes-book.com"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Edited by Stacy in WA

Mini Cheesecakes

I eat these with berries for breakfast:o)

4 pkg 8 oz. cream cheese

4 eggs

½ t. stevia glycerite plus 4packets Purevia/Truvia, etc. (granular stevia)

4 t. vanilla

Microwave cream cheese for 2 min. Mix with beater until creamy. Add eggs, stevia, and vanilla. Mix. Put into Wilton 12-muffin silicone muffin pan or foil-lined cupcake papers.

Bake at 350 for 15-22 min. Makes 12.

I pushed some frozen blueberries into the batter before baking. Delish!

--

Here's a recipe to make your own Truvia for less:

http://www.healthyindulgences.net/2012/02/truvia-sweetener-review-how-to-make.html

I recommend checking out a book that shows the glycemic levels of food. Not all fruits will raise your blood sugar the same way - pineapples will raise your blood sugar more than berries. Cake/brownies will raise it higher than ice cream/pudding (because of the protein/fat combo). If you only eat the sweets with the low glycemic values, your blood sugar won't spike/plummet as badly. It's always a good idea to eat the sweet with a meal that has a lot of protein and fiber. Eating sweets by themselves is much harder on your blood sugar. Also, add cinnamon (a lot) to your food/coffee, etc. Cinnamon has been shown to lower blood sugar. I failed 2 blood sugar tests during pregnancies, but after I read about the cinn, I added a lot to my diet during my 4th pregnancy, and passed that sugar test with flying colors!!

Edited by creekmom