Menu

I've got Nordstrom gift cards I don't want...

My mil gives me gift cards to Nordstroms every year for my birthday, and I never shop there. I know that there are some places online that will "buy" gift cards, but at a reduced rate.

Does anyone know of a place to sell or swap cards where I can maximize the value - or make an even swap? I also thought about ebay, but I know I personally would be wary of buying gift cards there...

Clark Howard just talked about this.

Thank you!

I know that I can shop online, but I don't shop for myself (unless it's Target), and cannot bring myself to buy $50 shoes for a child that will outgrow them in 4 months - even if they are "free" because of the gifts cards. It's this mental block I have called "I-wouldn't-spend-that-on-myself-so-I'm-sure-as-heck-not-gonna-spend-it-on-an-8-year-old"-itis.

I'm probably the only woman I know who *hates* to shop. Oh, well. :)

Thank you!

I know that I can shop online, but I don't shop for myself (unless it's Target), and cannot bring myself to buy $50 shoes for a child that will outgrow them in 4 months - even if they are "free" because of the gifts cards. It's this mental block I have called "I-wouldn't-spend-that-on-myself-so-I'm-sure-as-heck-not-gonna-spend-it-on-an-8-year-old"-itis.

I'm probably the only woman I know who *hates* to shop. Oh, well. :)

I relate. No way would I want a Nordstrom gift card. I know you are paying for impeccable service and an amazing return policy, but I don't care about that. Give me cash to spend at my favorite thrift store where I can get an entire season's wardrobe for $50--that's what I love!

I don't know how much you have, but I would love to good quality make up. I have some Clinique that I really like but won't pay the prices anymore.

Can you use it at Nordstrom Rack? I used to buy a lot of clothing there.

Isn't there one luxury item you would want for yourself?

A classic winter wool coat that lasts a lifetime

The little black dress

Jewelry

A handbag

What about all new underpinnings?

Perfume

I think you should honor the gift and in the spirit it was given - for you to have something special for yourself.

Edited by bookfiend

My mil gives me gift cards to Nordstroms every year for my birthday, and I never shop there. I know that there are some places online that will "buy" gift cards, but at a reduced rate.

Does anyone know of a place to sell or swap cards where I can maximize the value - or make an even swap? I also thought about ebay, but I know I personally would be wary of buying gift cards there...

Do you like makeup?? Nordstrom sells MAC and usually has items that are exclusive to them like gift sets or special products. Maybe you can find a nice kit or something if not for yourself for a special friend for Christmas or Mother's Day or a birthday gift. Shoot. I'd blow through a Nordstrom card so fast at the MAC counter. :p They also have other cosmetics too like Estee Lauder, Laura Mercier, Lancome, etc. :)

Oh and I don't know about your Nordstrom, but mine also has a highly rated restaurant (I know weird but true) right in the store. They also have a coffee/smoothie shop that is good. :)

Do you like makeup??

It's about to get real up in here... I.. don't.. wear.... makeup. There. It's out. I'm not anti-makeup, and have worn it from time to time, but I can't *stand* how it feels. Which brings me to point #2...

I have sensory issues, and Nordstroms gives me panic attacks. The thought of having to sift through rack after rack after rack of stuff give me the sweaty shakes. Literally. It is torture to me (TJ Maxx is the same way). I have to stick to places like The Gap where everything is the same on the rack.

They also have a coffee/smoothie shop that is good

I really like this idea (and hadn't thought of it before), but unfortunately the closest Nordstrom is 30 miles away.

Isn't there one luxury item you would want for yourself?

Oh, yes indeedy - but they're not sold at Nordstroms: books (real, yummy smelly, hold-in-your-hands, paper books), Disney trips, massages, a nanny...

I bet their coffee shop sells actual coffee beans by the pound too. I would be getting some!

Dawn

Do you like makeup?? Nordstrom sells MAC and usually has items that are exclusive to them like gift sets or special products. Maybe you can find a nice kit or something if not for yourself for a special friend for Christmas or Mother's Day or a birthday gift. Shoot. I'd blow through a Nordstrom card so fast at the MAC counter. :p They also have other cosmetics too like Estee Lauder, Laura Mercier, Lancome, etc. :)

Oh and I don't know about your Nordstrom, but mine also has a highly rated restaurant (I know weird but true) right in the store. They also have a coffee/smoothie shop that is good. :)

It's about to get real up in here... I.. don't.. wear.... makeup. There. It's out. I'm not anti-makeup, and have worn it from time to time, but I can't *stand* how it feels. Which brings me to point #2...

I have sensory issues, and Nordstroms gives me panic attacks. The thought of having to sift through rack after rack after rack of stuff give me the sweaty shakes. Literally. It is torture to me (TJ Maxx is the same way). I have to stick to places like The Gap where everything is the same on the rack.

I don't own make-up :D.

My aunt once bought me a sweater from a store (can't remember right now) and I wanted to exchange it. I made it about 2 feet into the store and walked right back out! It was a mix of too low lighting, loud music, and perfume. Each alone I could have dealt with, but not all 3 at the same time.

Do you need bras? Nordstrom is a great place to buy underwear, IMO. They have very good bra fitters and a very manageable collection. I recently had to buy some serious shapewear and was in and out of Nordstrom with exactly what I needed in under 15 minutes.

Isn't there one luxury item you would want for yourself? What about all new underpinnings?

A year ago I was going to actually be within blocks of the flagship Nordstrom store -- at home I'm hundreds of miles from the nearest one -- and I decided to get a professional bra fitting and buy one or two bras. This is because my Target-clearance-rack bras were actually doing me no favors, especially as they were pretty worn out! And of course, Nordstrom is supposed to have absolutely excellent, well-trained & experienced folks who help match you up with exactly the right underpinnings.

It was awesome. My husband was very happy, and I was rather pleased with the results of this unusual use of clothing budget :) My thrift-store clothing looks amazingly better on me with a great br@.

Then I got home and signed up for email sale notices from three excellent online underthings stores, so I can get the occasional replacement pieces at much better prices.

So I say, underpinnings!

Send your dh to buy you some pajamas and underthings or skincare items. Or shop online if they have an online store. There's no need for you to have to go there yourself.

I recently exchanged (online) a JC Penny's gift card for Amazon credit. I think it took the value down by less than $2 or so? This was on a $25 or $30 card, can't remember now. I'd have to look through my emails to see how I did it. It may have been on Amazon's website even...? It was a cinch--I typed in the number codes on my giftcard and they promtly emailed a credit code for me to redeem.

There's nothing wrong with not wearing makeup or having sensory issues. :) I love the underpinnings idea if you could tolerate being in there long enough to get a good fitting or buying something and returning it for cash. Or maybe buying a nice gift online for a dear friend or your dh. :)