Menu

Phred...

Am I the only one who percieves him as being a bit too serious, maybe even a little cranky??

I wonder what it would take to get a smile out of him... Any ideas?

Goodness, no. I imagine him smiling very frequently.

But then I'm married to someone who reminds me of him. Emphatic, likes to make his point, a little taken aback when his vehemence offends.

But then I'm married to someone who reminds me of him. Emphatic, likes to make his point, a little taken aback when he vehemence offends.

I had a hard time with his style of communication at first, but I see now what you mean.

I just wanted to have a little fun :001_smile: I guess I see him as the super-serious intellectual type, and I thought getting him to smile might be a worthy challenge ;)

But then I'm married to someone who reminds me of him. Emphatic, likes to make his point, a little taken aback when he vehemence offends.

I too, don't see him as a non smiler. I think he is very cheery. You have to admit he adds spice and brings great points to the table. We cant all have the same viewpoint, that would be boring.

Keep up the great posts Phred,

Jet

Goodness, no. I imagine him smiling very frequently. But then I'm married to someone who reminds me of him. Emphatic, likes to make his point, a little taken aback when his vehemence offends.

Oh, thanks for the explanation, because my husband (the jolly, laughing, joking, NEVER serious, easy-going type) is the exact opposite, and I, too, was having a hard time figuring out "Phred."

Sometimes, though, I would LIKE my husband to be a bit more serious, so maybe Phred can give me some advice, please? Is there anything I could do to get my happy-go-lucky hubby to be serious, sometimes?

Helloooooooooo, Phred? Are you smiling, yet? Please, pretty please?

I guess I see him as the super-serious intellectual type, and I thought getting him to smile might be a worthy challenge ;)

I think that maybe the men on this forum (sorry, don't know all of ya) -- who are they? Let's see... um, Drew, and clcmcclain or something like that, and Phred (is he really Fred?). Well, anyway.... as I was saying, I think that maybe a man who would even BE on this forum WOULD be the super-intellectual type. I mean, like totally, you know?

Drew? Mc-What's Your Name? Phred? :D Any feedback from the men would be greatly appreciated, and probably would give us women some insight into what pulls y'all in to this board.

and they are definitely fun to be around. Just logical thinkers, who like to make their point and aren't afraid to stick their necks out.

I love Phred! He brings a much-needed viewpoint to the boards, and so do PlaidDad and CLMcWain ( I think that's it). Wish we had a few more guys posting here! Hey, remember Cheez Whiz? I liked him too.

Michelle T

Well... Phred is Fred. And I'm not a Viet cong terrorist. I like to smile and laugh. It's just hard to make a well-reasoned point and be funny at the same time. Besides, with kids 8, 7 and 3 running around, my mind doesn't get much of a workout. So you guys see the serious side. Heck, it's not unusual that I'm trying to rationalize my way around gun control, or morality or some such only to be interrupted with, "I'm poopy." Now, why my ds wouldn't tell mommy at this critical point is history is beyond me. But, he picked me to honor with his, "It's just a small one... yittle" so how can I refuse?

Anyway... I've added an avatar I think should sum me up pretty well.

• Like 1

Am I the only one who percieves him as being a bit too serious, maybe even a little cranky??
I don't "see" him that way at all.

I don't see Phred as overly serious.

However, I get pretty serious into the debating threads as well.

I *also* participate in a lot of very silly threads but many of *those* are sort of women-centric on this board.

eta: ooh! maybe you need to get yourself some funny quote lines!

While I don't usually post in a hot topic thread, I do read them regularly. And though I don't share Phred's viewpoints, I am usually on the end of my office chair wondering, "what's he going to come up with next?!"

Love the spice you bring to the board, Phred!:001_smile:

Anyway... I've added an avatar I think should sum me up pretty well.

I knew it! I knew you were a clown!!:lol:

Since we're talking about you;), when you first started posting and you and I got into one of our debates, I started having nightmares about Doonesbury:eek:! And to top it off, not long after that, someone brought in a dog to see me with the name....PHRED! I took it as a sign from "you don't know who" to pray for you instead of fight with you. Thought you'd like that one. So as much as I know you won't care at all;)...I'm praying for you, Phred. And I really do enjoy the bantering, keep the interesting threads coming!

• Like 1

A Phred Phest?! Count me in.

I recall we had some fun with Plaid Dad when he was promoted to Queen Bee. I'm quite sure Phred would be all abuzz to know that he is a 'Level 4 Worker Bee'. Sounds very intellectual. ;)

clwcain -- No worries, man. I do not have you confused with a McDonald's product. :D

You guys are brave to be here at all. And, imho, it's delightful to have you here.

Wow. I'll pick an easier handle next time. ;)

I didn't think it was that bad. Then again, we're heavily involved in a pastime that involves lots of Gaelic, about which I'm clueless, so I'm acclimated to rattling off strings of letters that are meaningless to me as though I have a clue what I'm saying. And your board name sounds like you'd fit right into that niche.

Well thanks for all the nice posts.

So... I'm upstairs giving the kids a bath... and my wife comes in. "There's a thread with FOUR pages of posts about you..." Ummm... It's not like I instigated it or anything.

Anyway. You have to lovephred. We ordered a case of this and gave out bottles at Christmas. (Yes... an atheist Christmas. Get your yuks in now before they're sold out!)

Responding to thread to relay the comment from DH yesterday...

RE: Optimistic about the future of the US.. Dh said " I love Phred!!" :thumbup:

I think there are many of us that have that specific response to what Phred has to say.

He just says exactly what needs to be said sometimes.

So... I'm upstairs giving the kids a bath... and my wife comes in. "There's a thread with FOUR pages of posts about you..." Ummm... It's not like I instigated it or anything.

So... um... You're not offended by our "Phred Phest"??

Just wondering :D

Anyway. You have to lovephred. We ordered a case of this and gave out bottles at Christmas. (Yes... an atheist Christmas. Get your yuks in now before they're sold out!)

So between the bath and the bottled water what are you saying, "you're all wet" or "all washed up?":lol::lol:?

So between the bath and the bottled water what are you saying, "you're all wet" or "all washed up?":lol::lol:?

Cute! :rofl:

I actually have a friend IRL just like Phred as well (only non-atheist). I enjoy the debates and intellectual stimulation. He can get a bit "over the top" and at other times he can shed a whole new light on a subject. It makes things interesting...just like Phred!

His wife just looks at us like we are nuts and rolls her eyes. :blink:

So between the bath and the bottled water what are you saying, "you're all wet" or "all washed up?":lol: :lol:?

At first I thought the bottle was vodka! :o

Here's to Phred! :cheers2:

Edited by Susan Wise Bauer
Image removed for copyright reasons

Glad to hear it, Dahling ;)

Oh and BTW Deb...

THANKS A LOT!!

Now I can't get that song outta my head either...

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Wanna know how to fix that?

Do some math.