Menu

How to microwave?

HI everyone. I have never used a microwave in my life. My DS17 has left home to go to uni, and the residence he lives in has a microwave in the kitchen. He would love to know some recipes. like how to cook frozen veggies in the microwave. He has worked out how to microwave a potato so far

Thanks heaps for the ideas

The easiest thing for steamed vegies is to buy them frozen in the microwavable bags. Aldi sells really yummy ones with 3 little bags of vegies in a packet. I think they are either $1.99 or $2.99. You just put them in for 2 minutes and they are done.

I have a a microwave rice cooker that you can steam vegies in. I got mine from Woolies and it came with a booklet that has recipes in it.

You can buy rice in microwavable packets.

Scrambled eggs- just thoroughly whisk eggs with a bit of milk in a microwavable bowl and cook for 1 minute stir, then microwave again for 30 seconds stir repeat til all egg is cooked.

No recipes here. I only use my microwave for reheating food, not for cooking. My girls like canned chili in the winter. It's easy and quick when I'm at work. Remind your son to cover the bowl if he's heating or cooking something messy. Splatter is inevitable. To clean the microwave, heat a bowl of water or vinegar for a minute or two. The steam from the liquid makes cleanup a lot faster.

I mostly use my microwave for reheating things. The only things I can think of that I "cook" in it with any regularity is oatmeal when I'm only making one bowl (careful for it boiling over) and cheesy tortillas. It's nice to grab a small tortilla, sprinkle with some shredded cheese, micro for 15-20 seconds, roll up, and have a yummy snack.

I see you are in Australia but here in the US, our grocery stores sell microwaveable frozen meals that your son would love. If he also has a freezer, he should check on that. Here are 2 things I think he would like:

1 egg omelet: In a microwave safe bowl (around 1 cup capacity) stir up 1 egg and add in whatever you like in omelets..a sprinkle of cheese, bits of veggies or meat, etc. Then microwave on high for 1 minute.

Brownie cups: In same type bowl, fill about 3/4 full of prepared store bought brownie mix. The big rule on this is on mixes, you have an option of chewy or cake like depending on # of eggs added-You MUST use the extra egg or your brownies will be like little rocks! Microwave 1 minute on high. These are yummy served with ice cream and chocolate syrup. If he has left overs, the extra batter can be saved for later but in a boys dorm, that seems unlikely.

I hope he enjoys!

Thank you everyone.

What I was really hoping for was someone would tell me how to microwave something like frozen peas.

Does he add any water to the dish before he covers it with cling wrap? silly question I know.

We cook with a slow combustion wood stove, he know all about hardwood types and which one to use for which type of baking. Microwaves are something completely new to him.

Thank you everyone.

What I was really hoping for was someone would tell me how to microwave something like frozen peas.

Does he add any water to the dish before he covers it with cling wrap? silly question I know.

We cook with a slow combustion wood stove, he know all about hardwood types and which one to use for which type of baking. Microwaves are something completely new to him.

Get a microwave proof container with a lid from Woolies. Put in frozen peas. Add a few tsps of water. Microwave for a minute, shake continer microwave for another 2 minutes or until cooked.

Sounds like you guys could use some microwave basics :001_smile:

First, microwaves heat from the inside out. So while the outside of something might feel only warm...the inside could be SCALDING. You have to be VERY careful. Also, because of the way it cooks certain things will explode (like hotdogs) during cooking!

Also, you cannot not put anything metal or reflective in the microwave. It will spark (and it is pretty scary!)

It is cooking, but on super fast. So yes, you add water to the veggies and then microwave them for a minute or two.

Good luck!

Thank you everyone.

Follow the instructions on the package, as microwave instructions are usually listed and can vary, even for the same types of food. The packaging will also indicate whether microwaving is not recommended. How long to cook something can also vary by the wattage of the microwave. Peas would not be fully cooked in my lower-watt microwave after only two minutes, for example.

Thank you everyone.

I put in a teaspoon or so of butter instead of water - it still gives you some steam, in addition to the moisture that's in the peas (usually you can see ice bits from the freezer), plus it coats them as they cook to give some flavor and you need less that way than adding it after. Fresh veggies get a bit more water and less time, otherwise same process.

If he's using cling wrap, leave a corner uncovered or poke some holes in it to vent, and be careful of the steam when opening it after. I use a container with a lid, and just leave the lid a tiny bit loose.

It will take some experimenting with the time to figure out how long each dish takes - all microwaves are different.

FWIW, when I microwave a small bowl of frozen corn, I add butter. When I microwave a small bowl of frozen peas, I add water - they seem to get wrinkle-y if I don't add the water.

You'd want to use a non-metal bowl and cover with something (I usually use a napkin or paper towel). No aluminum foil.

If you're microwaving something like meatballs or potatoes, arrange them in a ring, with most of the food around the edges of the plate and little or nothing in the middle of the plate. The middle cooks slower than the outside, so the ring arrangement helps with even cooking.

Most frozen stuff comes with microwave instructions.

Note that in a microwave, the difference between 1 minute and 3 minutes is HUGE. To warm up bagels, for example, 10-15 seconds is great, 1 minute results in a rock-hard bagel.

Note also the volume/weight of food matters. In a regular oven, it really doesn't make much difference if you're baking one potato or twenty. With a microwave, it would take MUCH longer to cook 20 than it would 1 (assuming the 20 would even fit!).

If he's at uni, he can always ask someone else in his residence, or google for instructions on whatever he's cooking, just to be sure.

The easiest thing for steamed vegies is to buy them frozen in the microwavable bags. Aldi sells really yummy ones with 3 little bags of vegies in a packet. I think they are either $1.99 or $2.99. You just put them in for 2 minutes and they are done.

I have a a microwave rice cooker that you can steam vegies in. I got mine from Woolies and it came with a booklet that has recipes in it.

You can buy rice in microwavable packets.

Scrambled eggs- just thoroughly whisk eggs with a bit of milk in a microwavable bowl and cook for 1 minute stir, then microwave again for 30 seconds stir repeat til all egg is cooked.

You can buy regular bags of frozen veggies and poke holes in the bag and microwave it like that for the same effect. The only "special" thing about those bags are the holes.

Also, make sure he knows to wipe the inside out periodically, even if it doesn't look messy. Otherwise the build up of grease could cause more sparks and burn a hole in side. You don't want to know how I know that. :tongue_smilie:

If you "bake" potatoes in the microwave, be sure to poke holes in them before cooking! This is probably self-evident, but do not put eggs the microwave either without breaking the membrane over the yolk and never cook them in their shells. Otherwise, could be a big mess.

I haven't tried, but I've been told you can make popcorn in the microwave using small paper bags and a small amount of oil. Fold the top of the bag down several times.