Menu

My plans for 1st grade

Will I be ok with putting Grammar/Spelling on the backburner untill DD reading is better? If anyone has done this when did you start Grammar/Spelling? I want a relaxed first grade year with Reading/Math as our focus. We are already doing reading/math and I will add in science and history in June.

My plans are:

Math

Phonics/Reading/Handwriting

Science-reading and learning through books (2x a week)

History/Geography-SOTW 1 read aloud only (2x a week)

We will of course be doing fun projects/field trips based on her interests :)

Will I be ok with putting Grammar/Spelling on the backburner untill DD reading is better? If anyone has done this when did you start Grammar/Spelling? I want a relaxed first grade year with Reading/Math as our focus. We are already doing reading/math and I will add in science and history in June.

My plans are:

Math

Phonics/Reading/Handwriting

Science-reading and learning through books (2x a week)

History/Geography-SOTW 1 read aloud only (2x a week)

We will of course be doing fun projects/field trips based on her interests :)

This is my personal opinion, but dd, who's in kindy now, won't be doing spelling next year. For me, it doesn't make sense to teach spelling while I'm still teaching her to read.

I try to do a brief oral grammar lesson whenever she finishes her writing. I keep it to one subject per lesson. If she writes "The toad lost the roast," I ask her a noun's definition and instruct her to point out the nouns in the sentence. I've also taught her the names of ending punctuation so she knows periods and exclamation and question marks. It takes one minute to do and she has great retention. I don't think you need a workbook program to begin teaching the basics of grammar.

Edited by ErinE

I think it's a great idea. We didn't start spelling until our older DD was in 2nd and middle DD was at the very last few months of 1st grade, as her reading had jumped up.

OTOH, AAS can help solidfy reading if you were thinking of going in that direction. I saw our middle DDs reading level make an even larger jump after starting that, but it was still at the very end of 1st that we started AAS. Hope that helps!

My dd is 6 right now and we just added AAS a few weeks ago and we have seen huge improvements in her reading ability since we started. So I think it really depends on what type of reading program you are reading and what type of spelling program you plan to use in the future. If you plan on using AAS in the future I would say you could go ahead and start that, but otherwise I think it would be fine to hold off for the year:)

That is definitely okay! I think you could easily save it for around third grade if you wanted to! If you find she's ready in 2nd and want to do it then, fine. If you find 3rd to be more suitable, that's okay, too! It may be a bit later than some other curricula introduces it but that doesn't really matter. If anything she'll pick up the concepts more quickly. (And some grammar I think they are naturally going to pick up as you go anyway, while you're teaching reading and handwriting and talking to them and pointing certain things out conversationally, but for formal grammar instruction, it can wait a little while longer).

In my main curriculum, Oak Meadow, they're pretty gentle and relaxed in the earliest years (which is one of the things I really like about it), and they wait until 3rd to introduce formal spelling/grammar.

Either way, definitely don't stress over it for 1st, your 1st grade plans sound great. :)

ok good! :) She technically is still a K'er (age 6-late birthday) so I didn't want to rush the LA portion. We are using OPGTR and I am planning on using AAS when I am ready to introduce that aspect. Im on the fence about which grammar program to use though...She knows her puncuation but that is as far as I have gotten with her and I want to wait til she is a little bit older and ready before I choose a program.

Thanks everyone!