Menu

Has anyone....and is it okay?

I feel guilty asking this but...

Has anyone used JUST the college (community and/or university) to homeschool, especially the last two years of school?

We were going to do AP or college anyway, and I'm just feeling a bit overwhelmed. And it just seems like 4 courses per semester (doing a good amount of volunteer work -15 to 20 hours weekly- so probably not a 5th class) would be perfectly fine (obviously I'm trying to justify things).

I'm just <sigh> tired, burned out, something. Being disabled and pushing myself too much generally isn't helping. She is independent but like all teens need a little oversight and help. It'd just be nice to have someone else do the teaching and accountability and such. She knows she'd be expected to keep her grades up (she's kinda perfectionistic anyway. Her goal at the private school (pt) was 97-100 average and she always met that).

My daughter qualifies to go to 4 courses (per semester), 2 for free, at the local colleges. So they will let her, even if she's still considered a Jr. The other two courses would be at cost though.

I worry it's not as rigorous for the courses everyone takes, but at this point, I'm not so sure it matters. She'd still follow interests and such also, but 4 courses, volunteer work, and family responsibility seems "good enough" for a 15 yr old.....especially if I just don't have "it" to put into it anymore.

Has anyone else done this? would you consider it? is it okay?

Our local college only allows 2 courses a year, starting in 11th grade. But if you can do it, your dd wants to do it, you're OK with it, then why not?

My biggest concern for my dd would be that she couldn't keep up, but you dd sounds like she will do fine. Maturity would be the other big issue. With my dd my other concern would be with the conversation she would be around, kwim? My dd has never been in such a setting so I might want to try just 1 class to see how she did. But your dd may have no problem with older kids and their enviroment.

I feel guilty asking this but...

would you consider it? is it okay?

Don't feel guilty! If this is a situation that will be best for everyone involved then go for it.

Most of 17yo 11th graders classes will be outsourced next year. For another reason- he simply isn't wanting to work for me!

Good Luck-

Mandy

Technically, here in NC, students doing concurrent enrollment can take up to three courses at the CC, but must take three (or two block courses per semester) at home or at their public school. Thus my local experience won't answer your question.

Due to the lack of certain courses at the CC (Latin and French) and my obsession with teaching mathematics "my way" (with lots of proofs), my son will not even be taking three courses in the fall, just two. I figure that he can wet his feet with chemistry and a history class. Maybe he'll do three in the spring.

But personally I skipped my senior year of high school and just started college. If you feel that she is ready, I'd go for it.

Jane

Absolutely! My son has been going to college since 10th grade and I just let him take all his associate degree courses. We're killing two birds with one stone and it is a great thing! He is doing great and I have more free time for the younger ones. We're lucky that we have no limits on how many courses they can take.

That's precisely what I had planned to do before ds decided he wanted to go back into a traditional high school. I also thought 4 classes, plus time to work, volunteer, swim, etc. would have been fine.

There is a program here called "young scholars" or something like that, which allows public/private high school kids to attend college their last two years if they have good grades. They also take 4 classes in that program. As far as I can recall, these kids are put into mainstream classes with all the rest of the student body. I don't think they were in their own, separate classes.

I think it's fine. We can't do that here in VA, tho'--not as a dual-enrolled student. You can only take 12 hours or less, and you can only use it as a supplement, not the full homeschooling course load.

I wouldn't worry about it being non-rigorous--just choose carefully, and it should be fine. Who knows, your dc may even be able to earn an Associate's degree by the end of high school!

We are also in Texas and the twins qualify for 2 free classes per semester. They will be taking them.

In my area they are only allowed to get 27 cr hrs for free through the CC system. My understanding is that once they are above 30 hours they would be considered Sophomores and not available for Freshman sclorarships.

But then I guess it depends on how important that is to you. I was looking at our CC and they have transfer agreements with some of the Texas State universities [namely Texas A&M which my kids are interested in attending].

Check it out.