Menu

US History

fourcatmom

What are you using for US History? I have a 5th grader that is currently working on SOTW but I am not happy. I had considered using History Odyssey to combine with it but I think it's a bit young.

I don't really like the idea of using just an encyclopedia and living books as I find it hard to get organized and having everything prepared. I would like a compete curriculum or something that I can add to SOTW. Next year we will move onto ancients and I will probably pick MOH and SOTW. Whatever I buy now, I can use with my other dd.

Thanks!

Edited by fourcatmom

For the next two years, my plan is a combination of SOTW 3 & 4, A Young People's History of the United States by Zinn, and the Making of America by Robert Johnston. Should be an interesting mix. I wanted to like the Hakim books, but just can't seem to appreciate them. Too texty, too fussy, too . . . something.

Have you looked at Biblioplan? It schedules both SOTW and MOH. It follows the 4 year cycle, but years 3 and 4 seem to have more of a US history flavor (from the titles at least) ;)

Thank you for all the suggestions. I had been told about this one before and forgot. Thanks. They are all great suggestions.