Menu

Computer-based science for 10 year old?

GinaPagnato

I'm thinking ahead to next year when I will have only my 10 yr old at home for some subjects. I'd love to enable him to do his science on the computer and was considering Switched on Schoolhouse. However, reviews seem to range from loving to loathing, so I need the hive's opinion.

He's ADHD, but does well with online and computer based learning, from the little we've done. Will readily say he doesn't like science even though I knock myself out doing experiments every week (the other kids like my experiments :glare:). So, I don't much care if I out-source this subject, iykwim.

Suggestions?

My spec ed son loves S.O.S. Science. He loves that he can do it by himself and Mom isn't in his way. When I try to do the experiments with him, I can be a bit controlling. :glare: So, for us it is perfect! My son also does the Language Arts with S.O.S. too. He loves his "computer time" and I love that I can quickly see what he is understanding and what he isn't understanding through the teacher window. If he gets below a B he knows that I'll kick the assignment back to him to do again, which I thought he would get upset about but he doesn't because he finally understands that sometimes you have to do something twice just to let it sink in. My son is easily distracted but the SOS has just enough excitement to keep him interested and yet be calm enough that it doesn't wind him up like a top!

We do PLATO here...the fixed time slot isn't a huge problem because dd does the lesson one day and takes notes then does the applications and quizzes the next. It is very thorough and the information if very clear. I like listening to the lessons, too.