Menu

Is any one else leary of writing your dc's names on the internet?

I don't know why, but I don't like to write my children's names anywhere on the internet, including yahoo or meetup groups, in emails, online registrations, etc. Am I the only one? Or is this just an irrational paranoia?

ETA: It is more of a fear of giving their names/identities an "online presence" before they can decide for themselves - not really any concern of stalking or predators.

Edited by jadedone80

I don't here because its more public and nobody else seems to, but it doesn't concern me nearly as much as some on here. Really there's no place on the internet that's truly private. If predators wanted to get my kids, they could get them at a park or mall just as easily as stalking me through a homeschool message board. My life is out there with Facebook. I'm also on a much smaller Christian Mom board that requires registration to view posts - my children's nicknames are in the signature.

I know there are horror stories out there... but really if someone wanted to get my kids they would regardless if their name was on the web or not.

I don't post their names on the internet. Not because I fear any danger. I don't have a problem putting them in forms, emails, or local groups. I don't hesitate to put their names on their clothing, etc.

I do not post their names on forums, because I understand the power of googling. :001_smile: I don't want to attach any details to them, so I don't blog about our family, post their names here, etc. Yes, someone could connect it with some work, but they'd have to really try, and a future employer or whoever is unlikely to go that far.

I worry more about the statistically probable dangers and work to prevent those.

Nope. My dd is all over the internet anyway. Google her name and you have two full pages...including our address, because she's been in the newspaper multiple times because of ballet performance reviews and a couple of contests she's won

If your kid is in the newspaper, there's not a dang you can do to prevent your private information from becoming public. And nowadays, that means it will be put on the internet.

Edited by DianeW88
Because I have lost the ability to spell the simplest of words correctly.

I don't know why, but I don't like to write my children's names anywhere on the internet, including yahoo or meetup groups, in emails, online registrations, etc. Am I the only one? Or is this just an irrational paranoia?

ETA: It is more of a fear of giving their names/identities an "online presence" before they can decide for themselves - not really any concern of stalking or predators.

I don't write their names usually. Particularly publicly.

I don't worry about it. All of my kids have FB pages so they are already out there pictures and all. Their sites are well monitored by mom, dad and many sisters so I feel that the content is safe and to tell you the truth I am more worried about random crime in the city I live in than the internet in general.

I don't have my dc's names on the internet, either in forums, my blogs or my Facebook. But my mother-in-law, with whom I do not see eye-to-eye on many many things, has their names (their full names!!) on her Facebook page. Drives me nuts...I want to ask dh to talk to her about it, but we've had so many battles in the past few years with her and we're in a calm spot just now, and I don't want to rock the boat.

My oldest dd has asked to have a Facebook page when she turns 13 this summer and we've said no. She already communicates with her friends on gmail chat and email, we don't think she needs another avenue, especially one that has a greater risk of exposure of private information. We know that someday, our dc will have an online presence, but don't want to rush towards that time any faster than needs be.

I'm not too concerned about it. I googled my ds10 name last year and he was the second result! His first name is uncommon but our last name is pretty common. I was shocked! It was the church bulletin listing the children who were making their first communion. All the other results were some Irish soccer player that has the same name lol. So if something as innocent as the church webpage is putting him out there, I'm not going be able to stop it. Also without the last name attached it's highly unlikely anyone would put it together. Now because of a very famous book/movie series he isn't so searchable. His first name is Cullen and yes it was his way before Edward had it :tongue_smilie:

I don't like to put my kids full names on the internet and I don't like to announce things they are doing before they've done them but my oldest and youngest are all over the internet anyway from wrestling and fiddling...I once googled dd's name and among other articles I knew about, found it in a blog post written by someone halfway across the country whom we've never met but who had heard her play.

I don't post their real names on message boards or on our blog. I do use their first names on facebook, but I try to monitor my privacy settings.

My primary concern isn't safety. When they reach the teen years, I don't want their friends to google them, and then my kids say, "Mom, why did you say that about me on the internet?" (even if I thought it was perfectly respectful and wonderful). I try to be careful what I say anyway - even without their names attached - but attaching a name allows a new acquaintance to snoop just by searching.