Menu

Afterschooling accelerated learner 5th gr

I'm planning to afterschool writing and math for my bright 10-year old 5th grader. What has worked for you and your dc given time needed for school homework, music practice, sports, and downtime in general. Please share curriculum specifics as well. The more hands-off for me the better as ds doesn't particular enjoy or receptive to instructions from me.

Thank you, I look forward to reading your thoughts.

You could use WWS for writing. It can be student-led. As for math, it depends on what level he is working at. If he is working at 5th grade level at school but just needs some extra at home, you could get the Singapore IP and CWP books. If he is more advanced than that, you could try AoPS Pre-Algebra or another pre-algebra like Lial or Dociani. If you do go with pre-algebra, do a search on the logic boards, because there has been a lot of discussion of pre-algebra.

For math, it depends on what you are looking for. Life of Fred (Fractions, Decimals and Percents, etc.) can be done independently AND most kids find it pretty fun. AoPS pre-algebra can be pretty time consuming if you enroll in the class, BUT if you did it without the online class, he could do it on his own pace. Either program might be nice because they are pretty different than what he would be getting in school. You could try placement tests for the AoPS, Singapore, or other programs to see what might be a good fit.