Menu

How do you find a hairstylist?

I finally had an awesome stylist about 4 years ago. I found her by walking into a mall salon and later followed her to another place. She isn't working anymore and I have no way to contact her to ask for a recommendation. I've tried walking into other similar places a few times, but had no luck.

After a childhood of bad haircuts, I was so excited to have found her. My mom always just went (and took us) to local people and you got what you got.

I've heard to ask someone whose hair you admire, but 1) I don't actually know anyone whose hair I admire, and 2) I don't have half an hour to style my hair to look like the strangers' hair I admire either. My acquaintances get their haircuts at old lady salons, Walmart, and Super Cuts. My sister gets her hair cut at an edgy teen place where no one is over 20 and they would freak if I brought my little kids in.

I'm embarrassed to say when my last haircut happened, but it was a terrible mishap at the very same mall salon where I found my first stylist. I've been unwilling to try again for a long time. Hair grows and all, but if I'm going to pay for it, I don't want to wait a month to consider myself presentable outside the house. It seems like a total crapshoot. :confused:

The same person has been cutting my hair for ten years now. I called one of the mid- to high- range salons in our area and asked for an appointment with their highest level stylist.

Before you call, decide how much you want to spend on a haircut, or ask them to explain their fee structure to you. A less experienced stylist will not be as expensive as a more experienced stylist, so you need to decide how much a haircut is worth to you personally.

When you go in, you need to be able to articulate what you do and don't like in a haircut as well as to tell they stylist how much time you have to spend on your hair daily. You can also get them to show you how to do your hair for yourself. I have told my stylist that I have 30 min. for a shower and hair and that I want to be able to style it with my fingers, not a round brush or curling iron (for time reasons). For products, you can buy what they have there, but you can also ask them for a less expensive recommendation.

IDK...I've had bad luck with stylists in the last few years as well. My current stylists who both my mom and I go to has been a little off lately. In fact my mom came home a few minutes ago very upset about how short she cut her hair. So, I feel weird if she quits going to her and I still go there...too much awkward for me. My last stylists yelled at my son for rolling a hot wheels across the floor so I didn't go back there.

I don't usually take my kids with me but if I have too they are usually pretty well behaved :) It seems like it has gotten really difficult to find a good stylists who cares whether you come back or not. I also don't like salons where they chatter constantly about their boyfriends/husbands, partying half the night, what clothes to wear the next day blah blah blah.

I just want a normal person who knows how to cut hair is that too much to ask?!?

Is there a way to know which are mid-range salons? There is only an old lady salon here, so I would get my hair cut, like I do everything else, in the closest town. I don't know anyone who lives there to ask ... they all go to Walmart, etc too.

I'm assuming a place with a name like Tee-Zrs is not what I'm looking for, but I think Highbrow Springs Salon and Spa might frown on my Crocs and Target t-shirts.

Is there a way to know which are mid-range salons? There is only an old lady salon here, so I would get my hair cut, like I do everything else, in the closest town. I don't know anyone who lives there to ask ... they all go to Walmart, etc too.

I'm assuming a place with a name like Tee-Zrs is not what I'm looking for, but I think Highbrow Springs Salon and Spa might frown on my Crocs and Target t-shirts.

I don't know if you can judge a salon by it's name. My last salon I went to was called Attitudes and the current one is called Undercuts.

Trial and error? I'm probably not the best person to answer since my mom cut my hair my whole life. (she'd had a few cosmo classes in high school) I didn't go to a real stylist until after i was married. We found a local place here that I'm really happy with. Cheap, too.

My dd is much more adventurous than I am and she shops around. If she comes home with a cut I like I asked her where she had it done and go there. I just this past year found someone I really like. She is an older woman and remembers how to do hair the way I like it done which I guess is a little retro. Anyhow, three of us have went there now and we have all been pretty happy with the results. We have had perms, colors and cuts and she seems to be equally talented at all of the above. Before that it was years before I had a regular person. Everytime I found someone I liked they left with no forwarding info. I have several pictures in my albums and as you can see I have had pretty much the same hairstyle my entire life and believe it or not, it is really hard to find someone who can do that. My hubby prefers the shorter, curlier look and that is even harder to get. I am thinking about having my new stylist try it the next time I go in.