Menu

Article on environmentalism in children's literature (CC)

www.redeemedreader.com

There are two interesting current posts on this blog about environmentalism and children and literature/media. One, an interview (podcast) with James Wanliss from the Cornwall Alliance with regard to The Lorax movie and two, a brief overview of environmentalism from a Biblical point of view. The latter highlights both common ground and ideas where Biblical thinking and contemporary culture differ widely.

Clearly Christian, so if you're not coming from that worldview, it is possible,even likely that you may disagree with the authors. I found some helpful things to think on and thought others here might also. :)

There is a healing aspect to being in wild nature. I think that we are created for that kind of environment, and that it 'fits' us better than the concrete cities we create ourselves. This is completely compatible with Christianity, which acknowledges God as the Creator and the Lord and Giver of Life. Nature is full of life; our human creations not so much.

I do agree with the section that as a Christian, I see the enviornmental issues as part of the larger deterioration of a society alienated from God, that will only be fully resolved by God's intervention.

I don't agree that gives us the right to do what we know to be damage to the enviroment, just because we believe that God will eventually fix it - although He will, He will also hold us responsible. Revelation 11:18 mentions that God will "bring to ruin those ruining the earth". And by all means, if not a sparrow falls to the ground without His notice, also does He notice those that destroy His creatures and His resources with wanton disregard.

The problem I see with the author's argument is arrogance. We humans are too shortsighted to make wise choices about how to best use and interact with the environment. If we recognize that, we will act on the side of humilty and restraint.

We have the right to use DDT to protect our kids from malaria? Maybe the issue isn't even how the DDT affects the "environment", but how it will eventually filter back to affect US. He seems (along with others of that view) to ignore the interconnection we have to the environment. We may be at the top of the food chain...but, hello, it's a FOOD CHAIN. And what are we teaching our kids in science? That one event on a food chain affects the entire chain.

An example is what happened in one area, where residents wanted to sell their land to a company, but the result was going to be pollution of the aquifer. "My needs as a human for financial sustenance should come before "protecting the environment"..." was the argument. Well, the aquifer is ABOUT your needs as a human. Eradicating species, or habitats or oxygen producing rain forests is about your needs as a human. Maybe it won't affect YOU directly, or your kids, but how about your grandkids?

So to me, the argument about human needs taking precedent is a valid one, but the point being that we are too shortsighted and arrogant to even realize how we are affecting our own needs. This should result in a much more humble and hands-off approach than "do what we need and God will fix it later". He will fix it, but He will also hold us accountable.

Sorry for the rant! This is a touchy subject of mine! :001_smile:

Edited by coloradoperkins