Menu

Music - outside of private lessons on an instrument, what do you do?

maizeydaizey

I realize many children are taking lessons on an instrument, which we will do someday soon! :001_smile: I am curious as to what other things you do to teach music? Do you cover it in a general way?

This is one area I really am sad we do not cover as well as I'd like to. I do have her in a once a month singing class and hope to roll that into joining a choir next year when she is old enough. Other than that we might catch a musical show once in a while, listen to a variety of music and discuss instruments. I just feel like it is not quiet enough.

I need some fresh ideas!!! I wish I knew more about music or had talents to share, if I did I would organize get togethers with other kiddos for a group experience. But, I am not... :001_huh:

Thanks for ideas & input!!

- composer study (We do this through the lapbook available at Homeschool in the Woods, using it as a guide and organizational tool)

- listening to music of different decades on YouTube (40s, 50s, 60s)

- playing rhythm instruments along with different kinds of music

- sightsinging and ear training exercises

- websites for exploration (orchestra, ear training, composition)

- learning to sing rounds or parts

- recorder

As part of school I plan general music appreciation. I schedule 1 composer per term (we use four 3-month terms) and we read about that composer, look up youtube videos of performances of that composer's music and have "what do you think?" conversations. As part of that conversation we talk about elements of music that we notice in the composers work- if s/he wrote mostly solo music or works for ensembles, if the composer seemed to prefer tempo or dynamic style, or maybe a certain beat. I really encourage my kids to be honest about their opinion but also to give a reason why they do or don't like a certain style or piece.

We usually spend 2 or 3 days at the beginning of the month doing the above activities, and then for the rest of the month I try to have that composer's music on in the background a few times per week.

We try to go to 1 concert each term also, and sometimes I can get 2 in there. The symphony here runs 2 concerts a year specifically for school-aged kids and also has open rehearsals. We also sometimes go to the free recitals given by graduate students at local area colleges.

I'm a private music teacher and my kids take lessons in my studio- 6.5yo studies the violin and my younger one is participating in one of my intro classes for prek/K students. He'll start piano in the fall after he turns 5. Because they study their instrument with me I won't include theory as part of school; it will be part of their lessons just as I'd do with any of my music students.

For music appreciation, I use the music sections of the What Your -Grader Needs to Know books. You may be able to check these out at the library if you don't want to buy them.

I read one short section, and a I show the kids a few corresponding videos from YouTube. It has been going well and is inexpensive, but it takes some time for preparation.

We are currently using Children's Music Journey - http://www.adventus.com/store/childrens-music-journey/

My DC love it and they are learning basic music theory that will transfer to other areas and instruments. One of the cool aspects of this program is that it uses famous composers to 'teach' the lessons, so they are getting a little music history as well, because the composers play their music and tell some background behind some of the pieces.

We sing and add beat activities, rhythmic patterns, harmony parts etc.

We also listen to composers at times. We've been getting to know Vivaldi's Four Seasons by listening to each one a number of times. The kids really get to know and enjoy the pieces this way. And you don't need to buy a fancy program to do this - just look them up on youtube and find a nice version to listen to and talk about favorite parts etc.

HTH

Thank You all for your ideas!

I have purchased the Confessions of a Homeschooler Composer Study for either the end of this year or next year, have not decided yet. I am about to order the books to go with it.

We do listen to music a lot, either by specific composures, singers or styles. We do Peter and the Wolf a lot... I just thought maybe I was lacking to much. I really like the idea of focusing on one composer for a selected period of time to truly become familiar with their work...

So many great ideas - I appreciate them all :001_smile: