Menu

Keeping dog quiet?

My dog hurt her MCL and has to be in her kennel ALL.DAY.LONG. for 6 weeks (we are only on week 2). We have to carry her outside when she needs to go but otherwise she is in her kennel. The vet gave us sedatives to calm her but they seriously are not working. For her weight (37 lbs) she should be knocked out with 1 pill...we had to up it to 2 and it barely does anything! She whines all day long. Loud enough that I can hear her when I am at the mailbox and all our windows are closed. I feel so bad but I don't know anything else to do. I am going crazy...any ideas to keep my poor girl quiet?

Double check with the vet about dosage.

Give her a kong to chew on. This can keep her busy for a long time.

Put a blanket over the kennel.

When (if?) you ever have a break in the day take her out then sit down with her and snuggle for a while.

Good luck. It will be a long six weeks. :grouphug:

Double check with the vet about dosage.

Give her a kong to chew on. This can keep her busy for a long time.

Put a blanket over the kennel.

When (if?) you ever have a break in the day take her out then sit down with her and snuggle for a while.

Good luck. It will be a long six weeks. :grouphug:

:iagree:, a dog bone will work great too, she shouldn't be in there all day, take her out and just sit with her.

We do take her out for a little bit of time throughout the day. The problem is that we live in a new subdivision and there is construction going on across the street and in back of us and she will not let us hold her, she jumps around trying to get up to get to the windows to see what is going on. She has a bone and toys that are safe for her in there and we take her out as soon as the kids go to bed and the construction is done and she sleeps in our room all night. It's just during the day that's really hard because she is just so miserable in her kennel. We already did talk to the vet and he really thought it was a bad idea to give her anything else. I will try the blanket over the kennel though.

a kong filled with peanut butter and some kibble is a great distracter of time. You can also freeze the kong with peanut butter for your dog to work a little bit harder for it.

This is the time for the mouth watering, I am going to die withouth that bone time. A raw, femur bone can go a long way while she is in her kennel as well. Again she should only get these specia toys/bones when in the kennel so that she is very happy for them.

Some music for the dog as quiet levels can sometimes help.

She should be kenneled so that she heals properly but when can she start physical therapy? If she is able to start some now that will help to settle her a little as well. The increased drugs could actually cause her to experience higher levels of stress/irritation so def. follow the vets guidelines on that.

Is the kennel in a quiet area of the house or in the middle of all of the activity? You might have to try things differently if she is screaming upset about it.

Is the kennel in a quiet area of the house or in the middle of all of the activity? You might have to try things differently if she is screaming upset about it.

Hmmm...it's in the middle of all the activity since we have an open floorplan. Maybe I should put her in an area that is more quiet. I'm going to try that! As for therapy, the vet said that she really just needs to stay immobile for now. He is worried that she will hurt it more if she even gets a little bit of use.

I second the suggestion for a raw beef marrow bone.

We recently fostered a puppy that was hurt in a fall. She needed to be crated for about four weeks (it was going to be 6, but she healed more quickly than anticipated. Hope that happens for you too).

Anyhow, good big beef bones and peanut butter kongs, were the only way to prevent her from being Utterly Bored.

Good luck!