Menu

s/o Do you know what a 'modal verb' is?

Do you know what a 'modal verb' is in the English language?  

1. 1. Do you know what a 'modal verb' is in the English language?

• Yes, I do - I am a native English speaker
    • Yes, I do - I am a non-native English speaker
    • No, I don't - I am a native English speaker
    • No, I don't - I am a non-native English speaker

This came up in the 'Can I/May I' thread and I'm curious. Although I'm a native speaker, I've worked with ESL curriculum for long enough to have become very familiar with modal verbs - but five years ago I had no idea what they were.

FWIW, it is grammatically correct to use "Can" to make requests b/c it is a modal verb with two functions: to express ability and to make requests. "Can I go to the store?" can be perceived two ways - asking about the subject's ability or making a request, and both are correct uses of 'can' in its modal form. Emphasizing only the ability aspect of Can is missing half of its correct usage. Those who insist that only "May I" is a proper way to make a request would be more accurate to call themselves 'sticklers for preserving formal speech patterns' instead of 'sticklers for correct grammar.' ; )

Just curious about the rest of the board's knowledge of modals....

Here's a link if anyone is interested: http://esl.fis.edu/grammar/rules/modal.htm

Edited by Sevilla

Sorry, I'd firmly reject the use of "can" as anything but serving the first function (expressing capacity). The second mode, "making a request", would be recognized as a vulgarization of the language. It might pass as "informal speech" but not as proper English.

Bill (who awaits the Descriptivists :D)

I have an MA in Linguistics with an emphasis in TESL. We were taught to teach descriptive grammar in ESL classes, not prescriptive. From a descriptive perspective, yes, these days we use 'can' in place of 'may'. Whether or not it is acceptable prescriptively may depend on how purist the grammarian is. I guess we would need samples of the rule taken from older and more modern prescriptive grammars as complete proof of the prescriptive rule as it was and is.

Sorry, I'd firmly reject the use of "can" as anything but serving the first function (expressing capacity). The second mode, "making a request", would be recognized as a vulgarization of the language. It might pass as "informal speech" but not as proper English.

Bill (who awaits the Descriptivists :D)

Well, I came, but I think my response was moderate.

I guess we would need samples of the rule taken from older and more modern prescriptive grammars as complete proof of the prescriptive rule as it was and is.

Can we, with manners, ask what was the difference? ;)

Someone using the Latin alphabet to write English really can't complain about language shifts. Or do you have a Runic keyboard, Bill? :D

Can we, with manners, ask what was the difference? ;)

Someone using the Latin alphabet to write English really can't complain about language shifts. Or do you have a Runic keyboard, Bill? :D

I believe it is Runic :D

I always figured you as a woman of standards Mrs Mungo. Please tell you you have no place for Barbarism.

Bill

I believe it is Runic :D

I always figured you as a woman of standards Mrs Mungo. Please tell you you have no place for Barbarism.

Bill

I am a moderate in many things, including in the prescriptivist/descriptivist debate. I don't say ain't. I have been known to correct signs in stores. But, I don't think "awful" or "mob" are slang, but they were at one time.