Menu

Favorite Pride and Prejudice off-shoots

I've read a couple that were fun but fairly forgettable and one that I didn't finish because it was too racy. I think that one was Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife--you'll probably want to skip it. The Man Who Loved Jane Austen was pretty good, as far as I remember, and I don't remember anything too objectionable.

Right now I'm reading Jane Austen Made Me Do It, which is a compilation of short stories by various authors who've published sequels or other works related to Jane Austen's books. I'm really enjoying it. There was one story about a dream Austen had in which all her main characters come up to her and complain (mostly) about how she wrote them. Very clever. :001_smile:

I've read several, and had to put down some because they are racy, but none of them were fantastic. I found Mr. Darcy's Diary to be entertaining enough and the same goes for Pemberly's Promise. I got both of these for free for my Kindle, so I didn't have high expectations.

I just started An Assembly Such as This by Pamela Aidan it is a series written from Darcy's point of view during Pride and Prejudice.

I've read many P&P fan fiction books and this series is the only one that I've found to be worth my time. She doesn't use the original story as an excuse to write a trashy romance like so many others, she uses the same style of language, and her interpretation of the characters and their motivations is completely spot on, imo. Although if you like the trashy romance ones, there are lots of those available.

The second book is completely her own work and not based on anything from the original P&P story.

Death Comes to Pemberly is my book club's choice this month, but there's a very long waiting list at the library. I'm looking forward to reading it.

I downloaded a few free ones on my Kindle, but haven't started reading any of them. I make no claims about content or quality, but here they are.

My Dear Charlotte

Georgiana Darcy's Diary

Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrove Manor (not P&P, but a Jane Austen mystery)

None of them are currently free, but they were when I downloaded them. Also, the first two are in the Kindle Owner's Lending Library, so a Kindle owner who is a Prime member can read them for free.

North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell has a similar plot. It's set during the Industrial Revolution in "Darkshire". The book is very good, but the BBC miniseries with Richard Armitage and Daniela Denby-Ashe (not Patrick Swayze!) is excellent. That's not often the case, but truly N&S the movie is better than N&S the book. It's on Netflix streaming.

North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell has a similar plot. It's set during the Industrial Revolution in "Darkshire". The book is very good, but the BBC miniseries with Richard Armitage and Daniela Denby-Ashe (not Patrick Swayze!) is excellent. That's not often the case, but truly N&S the movie is better than N&S the book. It's on Netflix streaming.

I just watched this after trying to fill my Downton Abbey fix and found absolutely engaging. Now, one of my favorite 'movies.'

Laura