Menu

mrsa question...wwyd?

A friend of mine is has cancer, had surgery,then got an infection and found out today she has mrsa. She is on antibiotics, coming home tomorrow. I am supposed to be going to her house (along with 3 friends) to clean her house on Saturday. One of my friends who I am cleaning with is a nurse and she just said we will wear gloves and wash up thoroughly afterwards. I tend to be a bit of a germophobe and I'm a bit freaked out. Is this a problem? Would you still go? For a bit of context, I don't have the greatest immune system. It's leaps and bounds better than it used to be, but I still tend to catch things slightly easier than others. On the other hand, I would really like to go and help her. thoughts?

Nope. Not after our experience with it. Nope. Not with a mask and full body armor. I could simply be ignorant of protective measures honestly.

But what after we went through with MRSA, no way would I be scrubbing, risking open cuts while doing so.

I'm sure the professionals in health care will come in and say otherwise, but for me - nope.

I wouldn't purposefully go anywhere where I knew there was MRSA. Sure , we could pick it up on a shopping cart, in a public restroom, but still. I guess I would be nervous the whole time and worry the next week, so it wouldn't be worth it to me. You could always help her a different way. Maybe send a wonderful meal along with your friends for her, or buy her flowers to decorate her room and make her a homemade card. Then you could promise to clean in a few weeks when she is over her MRSA. I'm sure she will need help then as well.

Edited by mommyof4AZ

I would be ok with it. BUT, I lived with it dripping out of my dd's ears and she was a toddler and neither my dh or I ever had a problem. I figure if I could avoid it then, I must have been doing something right. I took care of a young man with a MRSA skin infection without a problem too, including tending to the open sore.

Wear your gear and wash your hands. Shower when you get home and wash/dry those clothes separate from household laundry.

ETA: honestly, it really is everywhere. No one contracted an infection from our dd, who, as a toddler, was not exactly cautious. A few of my friends and family were around her regularly and this went on for quite a while.

It is an absolute bear to deal with, yes. But, going in prepared you should be fine. I would say otherwise if I thought so. I would rather go clean a house of someone with mrsa then someone with the norovirus (or other stomach bug), to be perfectly honest.

Edited by jewellsmommy

I just want to recognize again in the OP opening post she said "germaphobe" + immune system issues. This is a really important statement and sets her apart from a common population such as professional healthcare workers and those without those issues.

For what it is worth, those two are deal breakers, and it may be that her friends/comrades in the project are not aware of it.

Do they know your thoughts prior to inviting you to help?

Why don't you ask her if she is still contagious/what the MD says about spreading it/where the infection is. I don't think anyone on this board can offer real advice without knowing those details. My husband had MRSA in his blood stream and was on IV antibiotics for a month. He had permission to take the train, go to work, whatever--with no risk to anyone else.

You have an opportunity to really bless her--don't let (possibly) incorrect assumptions stop you.