Menu

Do I want a canister vacuum?

We now have a single smooth flooring in the entire downstairs. I am loving it and am looking for the easiest way to keep it clean. The upright vacuum does ok in the main areas but does just blow some particles around and can't get into the tighter places. A good sweeping does the job, of course, but I'm thinking that maybe a canister vacuum would do just as well and be less work.

I've never had a canister vacuum so I thought I'd check with the Hive before investing any money and being disappointed. Would you rather use a broom and dustpan or a canister vacuum on about 900 square feet of flooring? Other options?

:bigear::bigear::bigear:

Pegasus

Check out some of the lightweight vacuums available (I do not mean stik vacs); I just bought a Shark at Costco that ost about $89 and weighs only 9-10lb. It does a good job on my hard floors and carpet, and breaks in half, to become an easily totable portable/long wand that reaches up high to get cobwebs, return vents, fan blades, and so forth. It has a couple of on-board tools including pet-fur. There are several similar options available.

I prefer a canister vacuum for hard floors. I've had this one (but it might have been a cheaper model, because I don't think I paid this much):

http://www.amazon.com/Hoover-WindTunnel-Canister-Electronic-S3765-040/dp/B00008UI0R/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330651790&sr=8-1

It was good, but didn't last too long. Now I have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Miele-S2120-Canister-FiberteQ-SBD350-3/dp/B002YPUO5U/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1330651835&sr=1-1

I love it!

We now have a single smooth flooring in the entire downstairs. I am loving it and am looking for the easiest way to keep it clean. The upright vacuum does ok in the main areas but does just blow some particles around and can't get into the tighter places. A good sweeping does the job, of course, but I'm thinking that maybe a canister vacuum would do just as well and be less work.

I've never had a canister vacuum so I thought I'd check with the Hive before investing any money and being disappointed. Would you rather use a broom and dustpan or a canister vacuum on about 900 square feet of flooring? Other options?

:bigear::bigear::bigear:

Pegasus

I've had a Kenmore canister for years. It's better than a broom on hard floors. It gets ALL the debris and dog hair that a broom misses and an upright blows around. It also gets around and under things easier than an upright.

You should just borrow from a friend and try it once.

Hard floors: cannister (or attachment on upright)

Carpet: upright (or attachment on cannister, which often doesn't work as well as an upright)

I have a two-story house, hardwood downstairs, carpet upstairs. I have two vacs: a cannister for downstairs, an upright for upstairs.

However, for many years I used the upright I'd bought in the previous house, which was carpeted, in the new house, which was not, and just always kept the attachments...attached. :)

I would say canister. I have an Electrolux that I like... it's whisper quiet. I use an upright for the carpets.

That said, however, I much prefer just using a swiffer. It takes me much longer to vacuum (drag it out, wander around tugging the canister behind me, trying not to bump things, trying not to tip it over, putting it away, etc) than it does for me to grab a swiffer sheet, attach it to the stick, go over the floors, and toss the sheet.

I also find that while the canister doesn't blow as much around as the upright (we have animals and long hair in the house), the swiffer gathers more.

I remember when my mother was visiting, she helped me clean (she LOVES to clean... I wish she lived here! :lol:), and after I vacuumed she went over the floors with the swiffer and was amazed at what the swiffer picked up that the vacuum left behind. She had seen a swiffer commercial doing the same thing and wanted to try it. She was sold on swiffer after that.