Menu

Am I a bit crazy? Considering buying Saxon Physics

Oldest dd is 12, and I'm anxiously wondering whether I should buy Saxon Physics before I can't get hold of it any more.. just in case they want to do the course in the future..

Would someone - lots of you! - please tell me that it's completely unnecessary, because there are other great programs out there that will do the exact same job, and in any case Saxon Physics will probably be partially redundant by the time my kids get to it.. :willy_nilly: oh help.

Well that's bizarre. I plan to use it next year with my rising senior and the DIVE DVDs. I don't see anything on their site about it. I'll have to email them. Maybe they hoarded them :-).

Heather

I was planning on using this with dd her senior year too with DIVE. She is only gonna be a freshman next year. I can only imagine what dh would say if I tried to buy something for her senior year :001_huh: Wonder what DIVE is gonna do. That is really the only textbook it is recommended for currently. :confused:

I tried emailing DIVE but the email came back as undeliverable :confused:

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

Is it really so wonderful? I've never used it.

My dd is doing Saxon Physics this year. Her teacher chose it over Apologia (he told me his reasons last spring, but now I can't remember them). It's very solid in terms of the material, but it's rather dry. Since my dd is the social type who likes books that converse with the students I would have gone with Apologia for her, but her friends were going to be in the Saxon physics class and she wanted to be with them.

She doesn't like Saxon partly because the text is written in a very straightforward, no-nonsense style and partly because she doesn't like math. Which is interesting because she's very good at math and can do it easily. Although she doesn't like it, she is doing very well in Physics.

FWIW, I'll probably sell the Saxon materials once she's finished with them, so at least one set will be available in early summer. :001_smile:

FWIW, I'll probably sell the Saxon materials once she's finished with them, so at least one set will be available in early summer. :001_smile:

Would you consider selling them to me? I'm in the UK and am happy to pay the relevant postage.

You'll think I'm crazy but we went ahead and bought Saxon math all the way through (6/5 and up) and went ahead and grabbed Physics at the same time. We did this as it looked as though the publisher was redesigning books to match the rest of the industry and away from John Saxon's design.

Rainbow Resources had everything in stock and after a discussion with one of their folks at a HS convention it sounded as though they has a good supply. But it may be worth a call to see how much stock they have these days.

E-bay and the used forums will likely offer a supply for a while.

You'll think I'm crazy but we went ahead and bought Saxon math all the way through (6/5 and up) and went ahead and grabbed Physics at the same time. We did this as it looked as though the publisher was redesigning books to match the rest of the industry and away from John Saxon's design.

Ditto, except we started with Alg 1/2. My project this summer is to go through the Calculus and Physics myself.

It seemed like a lot at the time but there is a comfort in knowing we will not have to hunt things down with all the other busy-ness of highschool.

I seriously considered buying Saxon Physics when I saw it was no longer going to be available. The child I would use this with is only in 4th grade. I didn't wind up buying the Physics, but I bought all the Saxon math from 1/2 and up because I didn't like the changes that were being made to the program. Now I'm thinking CLE may have their alg 1 and alg 2 program ready in time for her and that we may not use the Saxon at all! :lol:

I knew it was kind of a foolish move on my part, especially considering I've never used Saxon, but that was the program everyone was recommending at the time to use after CLE.

Lisa