Menu

Is there anything out there like MFW or TOG that is secular?

I am completely overwhelmed today with planning 5 different grades for next year. PreK, 1st, 4th, 7th and 9th. The idea of everyone doing the same thing but on their level is intriguing to me at the moment and because I don't have enough to do:tongue_smilie: I think I'd like to see what options might be out there. I really know nothing about those types of programs.

Thanks!

Moving Beyond the Page is an all-inclusive curriculum (except math/phonics) and secular. I don't think they have grade 9 though (yet).

http://www.movingbeyondthepage.com/curriculum6to8.asp

That looks interesting but I was actually looking for ONE program that covered all grade levels. I may not have made that clear in my op. I was thinking that TOG and MFW was set up to go over the same topics but that you would adjust the levels for your different grade levels. I was looking for something like that.

I am finding Sonlight is easiest to secularize. I will be using mine to cover all of my grade levels. I read several posts and blogs about doing so with multiple ages. It looks like Core B and G are what we are doing this year (B just for the readers for one dd). That's not just one across the board, but some people do it. Sorry! I wish someone would make a secular one. There's a big demand. TOG was extremely difficult to where I gave up for now. AFAIK, there are no secular all in one curricula. I think History Odyssey is pretty close, but it is not all inclusive.

I tried ToG at the beginning of this year, but found it way too hard to secularize.

Currently we are using History Odyssey and we all like it very much, and it is very affordable. You would probably have to buy two or maybe all three Levels, but you could all do the same time period. There is a good bit of writing involved, as well as history, geography and literature.

We are only in our first year of TOG and it is year 2 and I find it easy to secularize. That time period was very much shaped by what was happening in the religious world. I teach the religion as history and the impact that it had. It is really hard to avoid religion in history but I can say that we won't be able to use it for year 1. For that I will have to switch to HO as well.

Well, it was a nice dream while it lasted.:tongue_smilie: As far as religion in history...we try to discuss all religions while studying history. And even though we are Christian I just don't want a program that only gives us one slant so I tend to try to stick with secular material.

I enjoyed looking at the Easy Classical and the Moving Beyond the Page though so thanks for trying to give me some suggestions. It was a nice diversion from planning. :D