Menu

Would you serve this?

So dh gets down a loaf of bread which he notices has grown mold around the crust. He checks the expiration date, which was five days prior and then decides "Hmm...it's not too old" then he precedes to remove crust, butter the bread and serve to the family! :glare:

I intervened, collected said bread, and pitched it in the garbage. Stunned. :001_huh:

Would you have served or eaten this?

I am all for the five-second rule at home, but I prefer my penicillin in a bottle :D

No, gross, but I'm easily skeeved out by things that are at or past their expiration date. My husband on the other hand is less bothered by things that have a bit of mold and has been known to get rid of the offending bits and eat anyway. Ick. (I will get grossed out if one grape or berry in a whole carton has mold on it and won't want to eat from the package anymore at all, though, whereas he's like what's the big deal, just throw that one out)!

I thought you were going to say he tried to serve it to company, that would have been even worse lol.

So dh gets down a loaf of bread which he notices has grown mold around the crust. He checks the expiration date, which was five days prior and then decides "Hmm...it's not too old" then he precedes to remove crust, butter the bread and serve to the family! :glare:

I intervened, collected said bread, and pitched it in the garbage. Stunned. :001_huh:

Would you have served or eaten this?

I am all for the five-second rule at home, but I prefer my penicillin in a bottle :D

Ewwwww! All I can say is that I am glad YOU are the one deciding to throw it out. Sometimes men are just clueless--or perhaps it's overly hopeful!--in the kitchen!

And I wouldn't even feed it to my poor dog!

Nope, no way no how would that bread have been eaten. I have an allergy to penicillin as well as mold in general, so nothing with mold gets used in this house. I'm not part of the group that will cut it off of cheese, if there is mold on it, out it goes.

I also won't eat or drink things that "look and smell" fine but the expiration date is past. Sorry folks they put those dates on things for a reason, I'm probably extreme about it but I'm not taking any chances.

If there was only mold on some of the slices, I would throw those away and use the ones without mold. Expiration dates don't bother me a bit, but I'm not a fan of eating mold!

On the other hand, if cheese has some mold, I just slice off the outside and we eat the rest!

This. I noticed over the years that mold grows on homemade bread where my hand touched it to slice it.

If the mold is only there, I cut it off and serve it.

(NOt that bread lasts that long around here, but since the kiddoes have moved out and I eat low carb, DH doens't eat enough bread to go thru a whole loaf fast enough. )

I also give it the sniff test. You can tell if the whole loaf is moldy or it that one spot is contaminated.

No, gross, but I'm easily skeeved out by things that are at or past their expiration date. My husband on the other hand is less bothered by things that have a bit of mold and has been known to get rid of the offending bits and eat anyway. Ick. (I will get grossed out if one grape or berry in a whole carton has mold on it and won't want to eat from the package anymore at all, though, whereas he's like what's the big deal, just throw that one out)!

I thought you were going to say he tried to serve it to company, that would have been even worse lol.

:iagree: This is me. I know that expiration dates don't always mean anything, but once a product reaches its expiration, I toss it. If one strawberry is moldy in a carton, I throw the whole thing out. I definitely would NOT have eaten that bread.

That was a guy-think moment. Get rid of the bad part, keep the rest. :glare:

I wouldn't have touched that bread if you paid me!

Dude. It would have hit the trash can faster than your head could spin at my house :D

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

I wouldn't eat it but my roommate in college would have. I frequently caught her cutting off crusts to eat the bread. I told her repeatedly that we weren't so poor that we needed to eat moldy bread. So anytime I found moldy bread, I'd toss it but if she got to it first she'd just eat it.

I don't have any problem with cutting off the mold and using the rest of the bread if there's only a small bit of mold. However, usually 5 days past the expiration date, the bread tastes stale. If I really want to use it, I have to toast it to improve the flavor, but if it was 5 days past + moldy I'd just pitch it unless I was pretty desperate for a piece of toast. I actually have a harder time using cheese that has mold on it than bread. Yellow cheese has flecks of white in it when it gets mold, so I'm pretty sure the mold goes deeper than the surface.

Edited by LizzyBee

With regard to cutting off the moldy part and eating the rest...

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/FactSheets/Molds_On_Food/#3

Are Molds Only on the Surface of Food?

No, you only see part of the mold on the surface of food -- gray fur on forgotten bologna, fuzzy green dots on bread, white dust on Cheddar, coin-size velvety circles on fruits, and furry growth on the surface of jellies. When a food shows heavy mold growth, "root" threads have invaded it deeply. In dangerous molds, poisonous substances are often contained in and around these threads. In some cases, toxins may have spread throughout the food.

I wouldn't eat it :ack2: but I guess if dh wanted to eat it himself....

I would assume it all had mold spores on it and the mold just hadn't grown enough to be visible yet. Nothing like eating mold.....they day before it was visible.

I had a freind who used to get food from the food bank.....until she put a perfectly good looking (but expired) loaf of bread under the microscope. After that, she always paid for 'in date' bread.

Your husband should be on strict supervision while in the kitchen. :tongue_smilie: Good save on your part!!! :lol:

I know right! Made me wonder what my poor kids would be fed if I wasn't here :tongue_smilie:

With regard to cutting off the moldy part and eating the rest...

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/FactSheets/Molds_On_Food/#3

I will share this with him :D

Ewwwww! All I can say is that I am glad YOU are the one deciding to throw it out. Sometimes men are just clueless--or perhaps it's overly hopeful!--in the kitchen!

And I wouldn't even feed it to my poor dog!

:lol: Here! Here!

I read all the responses to him...hopefully he gets it :D Scary!!

Thanks everyone!