Menu

Strong females... (s/o of strong females in lit)

(x-post)

Dd is reading The Miracle Worker play today. She loves it.

Not a fictional character, but a strong female for sure. Anne Sullivan was a genius. Dd enjoyed this

as older women.

She will read The Story Of My Life by Hellen Keller in LL7.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please share your favorite 'not-to-be-missed' strong females. Thanks!

Elizabeth I has been a big hit here, too. Joan of Arc, Isabella of Castille too. Can you tell we've just finished the medieval period? ;) I always grab books from the library in this genre - The Outrageous women of . . . series is good, that will often get her interested in reading more on a particular figure. Heroines by Rebecca Hazell, and 10 Queens by ? are others she has enjoyed. Pocahontas and Colonial women, Catherine the Great are all coming right up . . .

My younger dd is very excited to start reading this book:

Girls Who Looked Under Rocks: The Lives of Six Pioneering Naturalists by Jeannine Atkins

Here:http://www.amazon.com/Girls-Who-Looked-Under-Rocks/dp/1584690119/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1330648914&sr=1-1

It's a slim book, so it wouldn't take very long to read. It includes a brief biography on the following women:

Maria Sibylla Merian

Anna Botsford Comstock (author of Handbook of Nature Study)

Frances Hammerstrom

Rachel Carson

Miriam Rothschild

Jane Goodall

We also have this book:Girls Think of Everything:Stories of Ingenious Inventions by Women by Catherine Thimmesh

Here: http://www.amazon.com/Girls-Think-Everything-Ingenious-Inventions/dp/0618195637/ref=pd_sim_b_1

She is also ready to read Catherine the Great by Katharine Scherman (Landmark book)

I know you asked for literature...still thinking about that...I keep coming up with high school level books such as Jane Eyre...maybe The Witch of Blackbird Pond...

Edited by Kfamily