Menu

appropriate clothing for temps?

DH & I have opposite views about what is appropriate clothing for various temperatures. I am really cold-natured, and thus am always in a jacket if it is below 80, and he is really hot-natured, and is wearing shorts anytime it is above 50.

My kids are starting to select their own clothing. I'd love to be able to give them some guidelines about how to dress like normal people do when the thermometer says x. (We are in SC - the high is supposed to be 80 today, and 63 tomorrow, and that's common, so you can't just count on yesterday's weather as a predicter!)

Can you tell me what degree ranges you think most people would wear the following in? (ie - 60-70, 70-85, 85+, etc.)

- short sleeves, shorts/skirts

- short sleeves, but legs covered (tights, leggings, long pants, etc.)

- lightweight long sleeves, legs covered

- sweaters/sweatshirts, legs covered

- coats/gloves on top of sweaters/sweatshirts, legs covered

Uh, I've lived in NE Ohio most of my life, so your husband sounds like most of the people around here. :lol:

I take a jacket with me if it is around 60 or below.

Shorts at 70 or higher. Short sleeves at 50 or higher.

Boots only if the snow is over 3 inches or so.

Those are about all the rules I have for myself and the kids.

It varies a lot. It also depends on wind and sun.

I teach mine to walk down to the mailbox in what they want to wear to see if it really is appropriate, to check the forecast for rain or big temperature changes, dress in layers, and think about how temperature changes through the day (cooler in morning and as the sun goes down.)

I, generally, let them wear what they want, after they've thought through the circumstances. Everyone else in my family prefers to be less dressed than me and no one carries a coat, unless it's absolutely necessary.

Can you tell me what degree ranges you think most people would wear the following in? (ie - 60-70, 70-85, 85+, etc.)

- short sleeves, shorts/skirts 75+ (for me personally, 90+)

- short sleeves, but legs covered (tights, leggings, long pants, etc.) 65-75 (for me personally, 55-90)

- lightweight long sleeves, legs covered 50-65 (for me personally, skip)

- sweaters/sweatshirts, legs covered 40-50 (for me personally, 25 -55)

- coats/gloves on top of sweaters/sweatshirts, legs covered below 40 (for me personally, below 25)

But really, it should pretty much be up to them. Dress in layers, so they may throw on a sweatshirt if it is colder than expected.

I don't know what most people do; this is what we do:

70 and up - short sleeves, shorts/skirts

60-70 - short sleeves, but legs covered (tights, leggings, long pants, etc.)

50-60ish - lightweight long sleeves, legs covered

50 or below - sweaters/sweatshirts, legs covered

Freezing temps or colder - coats/gloves on top of sweaters/sweatshirts, legs covered

Ds9 doesn't like to wear his coats or jackets at all, so I gave him an actual temperature rule. 50 or below, he has to wear a jacket; freezing or below, he has to wear his heavy coat. If it's cold enough to wear a jacket or coat, you don't wear shorts.

But really, it should pretty much be up to them. Dress in layers, so they may throw on a sweatshirt if it is colder than expected.

:iagree: I chide our girls (14/16) about dressing warmer, but they generally decide what they're going to wear. I do put my foot down about a coat and covered legs if it's freezing weather.

I live in Alaska. I frequently see young people in shorts & t-shirts & tennies - even at below zero temperatures!

So, the rule in my house when my children were growing up was "you have to have a coat with you when we get in the car - just in case there's an accident or we run out of gas".

I like a previous poster's suggestion of sending the child out to the mailbox to see for himself how the weather "feels" outside.

Anne

I decided that was not the hill I wanted to die on a long time ago.

They have to go out on the deck in what they are wearing to see if they really want to bring a jacket or not but that is it.

Especially in southern New England.... the weather can vary so much! We do layers most of the time.

Everyone can be so different when it comes to selecting weather and temperament appropriate clothing.

My mother was like you OP and so was her mother. I remember sweltering in jeans, long sleeves, and jackets at her insistence because SHE was cold. I hated it.

In contrast, I generally let my boys choose whether they wear long/short sleeves and whether they wear a jacket. I do require that they have a weather appropriate jacket with them. If it is VERY cold I do ask them to put their coats on but in those situations they are quite happy to do so.

… Can you tell me what degree ranges you think most people would wear the following in? (ie - 60-70, 70-85, 85+, etc.) …

Sorry, but the answer is no. The answer also depends on wind, humidity, etc. I've always been hot when others are cold - I certainly don't want to put on a jacket just because another person is cold. Lately, though, I'm sometimes cold when others are warm, so I have to be prepared with a jacket. I keep a jacket in the car year-round with a hood suitable for colder temps or rain.

… I teach mine to walk down to the mailbox in what they want to wear to see if it really is appropriate, to check the forecast for rain or big temperature changes, dress in layers, and think about how temperature changes through the day (cooler in morning and as the sun goes down.) …

This is great advice!

… So, the rule in my house when my children were growing up was "you have to have a coat with you when we get in the car - just in case there's an accident or we run out of gas". …/QUOTE]

More great advice!

Everyone can be so different when it comes to selecting weather and temperament appropriate clothing. …
:iagree:

Best wishes.

Above 50, my son is in shorts and t-shirt. In fact we keep the house at 72 and he wears shorts even when it's colder. He has clothes, he just claims not to be cold. If we're running around he will put on a sweatshirt jacket. He's 14, *sigh*. If it's colder than 35 outside we make him put on long pants if we're going out.

If it's under 50 dh is freezing. He abhors the cold. Anything above 60 and I'm in a capris, probably, and a long sleeve something. If it's above 75 or 80 I'm in short sleeves or a tank.

We are at three different comfort levels, we dress three different ways.

Leave it up to them. Teach them to keep an extra sweater in the car, just in case, and let them go. Say things like, "Today will be colder than yesterday. Do you think you'll be warm enough?" or "Yesterday was pretty cool, but today will be warmer and the sun should be out. Do you think what you're wearing will be comfortable?"

Even relatively young children can learn to make reasonable choices for their own comfort level -- AND not to complain when their own choices have left them less than perfectly content.

The only time I would say something is if I'm actually worried about safety (frostbite or heat exhaustion) or if we're going somewhere where certain clothing would be inappropriate.

Not only is it different from person to person, but it also varies on where you are. I spent a winter in Alaska and my body adjusted to the cold. After spending a few weeks around 0, 35 felt warm. We saw many folks wearing shorts and t-shirts in the spring when it was right around freezing.

I agree with having layers.

I usually just advise my children what the temps are like that day so they can make their own decisions. They will also walk out on the front porch to determine for themselves. One daughter is much colder natured than the other so they make different decisions but they both end up comfortable.