Menu

Monsanto?

I try to buy nothing with GMOs because we don't really know how they affect the body long term. Also I take big time issue that those making decisions about labeling GMOs (at the federal government level) used to be high level corporate types with companies that mainly produce GMOs, like Monsanto. The level of bed sharing is disgusting and the fact that they are willing to put me and mine at potential risk (because we just don't know) just to pad their bottom line makes me nauseous.

SpyCar put it nicely in the other thread. (Link will take you to WM/Monsanto thread)

It is amazing, but true, that Monsano has ruined the crops and seed of farmers who seek to avoid GM crops through unwanted cross-pollination with those of traditional crops.

Organic farmers can't sell GM crops as "organic." But farmer who complains or becomes public opponent of Monsanto finds their farms raided to see if the harvested seed contain any (to the farmer unwanted) Monsanto patented genes.

If it they do have GM material, Monsanto sues the farmers for using its patented GM property without license or compensation.

When facing an economic powerhouse like Monsanto—one that can crush a small farmer with the cost of unrelenting lawsuits—many farmers have to fold and pay Monsanto damages.

It is a weird world sometimes.

Bill

Bill

Their business practices are nothing short of evil. Those farmers who do buy seed from them do so at significant, unethical disadvantage. Those farmers who do not buy from them often experience literal persecution. Whether or not you agree with GMO (I don't), the way this company chooses to treat people on a large scale, as a matter of practice, is morally reprehensible.

They are...quite possibly...the WORST company I have ever seen in my life. Their intimidation techniques alone should get them thrown in jail. They are right in line with the world's worst mobsters in their behavior....but apparently, they can get away with it. :glare:

For starters, watch Food, Inc. You'll never eat the same way again.

Okay... so, if one is convinced of the evilness of Monsanto (and GMO in general..) how would one avoid those things?

I really *want* to eat healthier, including avoiding GM foods and getting as much organic as possible, but honestly I just don't know what to look for, nor do I have the extra time to devote to learning/looking. Is there somewhere I can find a quick and easy tutorial on finding the healthiest choices at the grocery store? I used to think that the more I could get in original form (as in, whole foods, not processed stuff) the better... but now, apparently not!! :glare:

Okay... so, if one is convinced of the evilness of Monsanto (and GMO in general..) how would one avoid those things?

I really *want* to eat healthier, including avoiding GM foods and getting as much organic as possible, but honestly I just don't know what to look for, nor do I have the extra time to devote to learning/looking. Is there somewhere I can find a quick and easy tutorial on finding the healthiest choices at the grocery store? I used to think that the more I could get in original form (as in, whole foods, not processed stuff) the better... but now, apparently not!! :glare:

:iagree:

It's so hard because GMO crops are even finding their way into the organic food crops. This is what I choose to do for my family and myself:

1) the best is to grow it yourself, but obviously that might not work for a lot of people, but even a small garden is a great start!

2) try to buy as much as possible from your local organic farmers--some farmers can't claim organic if they haven't been certified, but you can ask at local farmers markets to see whether they use organic, sustainable farming practices

3) when those choices aren't available or feasible then try to buy organic food from the grocery store

At the grocery store, I especially try to find foods that say GMO free or NonGMO Project Verified. I am also very careful about choosing foods made from corn, soy or canola since Monsanto owns somethings like 90% of those crops and it is harder and harder to find non-GMO sources.

I did hear recently that Whole Foods, Organic Valley and Stoneyfield Farms have allowed/not been able to stop the introduction of GMOs into their "organic" foods. We no longer buy those products.

There's a lot of murky ground, unfortunately and it's something where I just have to accept that I am trying to do the best that I can for my family with the information that is available. I hope that helps you a little bit. I'm sure others have more info, but this is our approach at this time!

How GMO foods alter organ function and pose a very real health threat to humans - NaturalNews.tv

*This is a good, clear explanation about the dangers of GMO and was a real eye opener for me of what Monsanto is capable of. :(

According to this video I'll be making pesticide in my body by eating GMO's. So if mosquitos chomp on us/livestock and develop resistance then it will go up the whole food chain. We will all be pesticide ridden against our will. Gross.

I did hear recently that Whole Foods, Organic Valley and Stoneyfield Farms have allowed/not been able to stop the introduction of GMOs into their "organic" foods. We no longer buy those products.
This isn't the case.

Huge thread about that here: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240956

Google search! Monsanto wants to OWN our food supply.....

Faithe

:iagree:

I've never watch Food, Inc., but I've been watching Monsanto itself for years.

My family has a large agricultural component, and quite varied opinions about their ethics (considering some work for them). A whole lotta bean dip gets passed around at family gatherings.

The movie "The Future of Food" does a great job telling the story of seed patents, suing old farmers near retirement, and contaminating many of the seeds in the world. Fascinating, heart-breaking. I think everyone should watch this.

“There's a stunning revelation in almost every scene. Grade: Aâ€

- David Sterritt, Christian Science Monitor

http://www.thefutureoffood.com/

• 2 months later...

It's getting ugly out there. Even things that used to be good for us might not be anymore. Even shopping at farmer's markets, can we be sure the farmers didn't get GMO seed? I know we have to ask a lot of questions.

I wish a labeling mandate would pass. I know there are a few brands or products that have a "non-GMO" indicator on the packaging, but those are few and far between.

Unfortunately, our family doesn't have a green thumb among us, LOL. But I'm still hoping to try to grow at least a few things in the future, using heirloom or organic seed.

I have known about Monsanto for 13 years and avoid all food with GMOs (except on the rare occasion we eat out).

In addition to growing your own produce or buying from a local non-GMO farmer, you can buy whole foods at any grocery if you know what to avoid. Corn, soy, canola, sugar beets, zucchini, and cotton are the biggest GMO crops in the US. Buy those foods organic only. The biggest key really is avoiding processed foods because they contain many of those ingredients. If you must buy processed foods, look for the GMO Project Verified label, or shop at Trader Joe's. All TJ's brand products are GMO free, according to the website.

If you must buy processed foods, look for the GMO Project Verified label, or shop at Trader Joe's. All TJ's brand products are GMO free, according to the website.

Oh, that's really good to know!! I love Trader Joe's and have been buying more of our food there. :)

Oh, that's really good to know!! I love Trader Joe's and have been buying more of our food there. :)

I've always thought this too, and I mostly only buy their organic products, but there are some multi-grain crackers that they sell, and one of the ingredients listed is "modified corn starch". That surprised me. Is this a GMO product?

Ingredients: Enriched flour (wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), sunflower oil, sugar, scotch oatmeal, inulin, rye flour, multigrain flour blend (wheat, rye, triticale, barley, corn, millet, soybean, sunflower seeds, rice, flax, durum oats), wheat germ, modified corn starch, salt, invert syrup, sodium bicarbonate, onion powder, malt flour, monocalcium phosphate, microbial enzymes.

I have known about Monsanto for a good long time, and find them disgusting. We buy 99% organic for home, but do eat out sometimes, so we know we're getting *other* stuff also.

We won't ever buy soy or canola or usually corn(unless it is verified to be NZ grown) and we also basically avoid any food imported from the USA as we know your food if so contaminated with GMO's.

The problem is so may additives are made with soy...so we try to cook from scratch as much as possible. Monsato is a VERY scary "company" . Who actually runs/owns it?

Is there somewhere I can find a quick and easy tutorial on finding the healthiest choices at the grocery store? I used to think that the more I could get in original form (as in, whole foods, not processed stuff) the better... but now, apparently not!! :glare:

I do still believe the less ingredients the better the item. But that doesn't negate the GMOs, I agree. Organic is the best, but it's expensive.

I love the DIRTY DOZEN app for iPhone/iPod.

Also this 10 to do list:

http://www.allergykids.com/what-you-can-do/10-steps-you-can-take-to-protect-your-family/

Robyn O'Brien has a Ted talk that is really interesting too.